THR Cstinchcomb's Right Hip Recovery

@cstinchcomb, I hope you are staying safe and healthy during this bad air time. In our area, it has impacted lap swimming, but I am some weeks from that. Have you been able to get any pool time?
 
Hey @SwimHip, thanks for the note. I hope that you are doing OK with your recovery; I haven't been over to your thread in a week or so. However you are doing, please remember that you are still sooo early.

Bad air here -- nasty smog -- smoke and fog. Last time I got to swim was Tuesday, so now closed for almost a week. They say tomorrow ... we shall see; today looks just as bad as the previous week. I seem to have a personal threshold of about 200; if the air is in the 200s, then even walks are no good. But 150, 175, I am OK. We have radiant heat and no AC so ... it just is what it is.

And I am perfectly well aware of how lucky I am that my neighborhood is not actually on fire. We were evacuated several times when we lived in Colorado, once with embers raining on the house.

--

As far as recovery goes -- I can easily forget that I have a second new hip. Now about 15 weeks out from surgery. No gym in the forseeable future, so continuing on the home-workout path. No pain pills, no advil, no pain, yippee. Very good stability from the start in this one; it has become super stable faster than the first. I had my 3 month surgeon visit and he said to come back in a year. :yay:Xrays look good; I should get a copy sometime. And I know, it will continue to improve for the forseeable future.
 
Last edited:
Happy Four Month Anniversary...a day late.
Hope the smoke clears soon and you have a beautiful Autumn.
Take good care! :wave:
@cstinchcomb
 
Thanks @Layla

I hope all of you, too, have a lovely Autumn, or Spring for those in the Southern Hemisphere.

The air here is much improved in the last couple weeks. But there are still a few months left of "fire season". Here's hoping that new fires can be extinguished while small. A lot of the Bay Area is still WFH, so there is a lot less traffic, which means that the air quality, aside from smoke/inversions, should be better than normal.

As far as recovery goes, at four months I'm not really noticing improvements -- nor am I feeling held back by my new hip. I am still slightly rotated, one hip feels a little different than the other one, so I am starting to do more yoga -- I expect this will go away over the next year as my anatomy rights itself. It's so slight, I don't expect anyone else would even notice.

I'm so glad that I was able to get this surgery, and that it's been so successful. :SUNsmile:
2020, what a year; new hip is clearly the best part of it. Stay safe and well, everyone.
 
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I'm 6 months out. This year I am giving thanks for my second successful hip replacement. And certainly thankful for the support I've received here on BS.

I know that I'll continue to improve, but realistically, even now, I feel normal. I'm swimming four times a week, still with the 35 minute Covid protocol private-lane outdoor swims. A little kickboard, a little pulling, a little back & breaststroke, but mostly freestyle given such a short swim time. I added a thermal neoprene shirt and a neoprene beanie for winter. Pool is heated to 80 degrees; I am such a wimp, California winters are really not cold.

I bike to the pool if it's warm enough, but riding home wet brrr, not doing that right now. I should start riding more on off days. Walking at least a mile four or five times a week; up to 5 miles on occasion. Still all pretty flat. There's so little sunlight this time of year, it's hard to fit everything in to the daylight hours, along with work obligations etc.

Covid is just raging now in the USA, so still not back in the gym, but we are assembling a small outdoor workout area here at the house with a bench, some dumbbells (10/20/40), a chin up and dip rig, bands, yoga mat etc. I feel like I can do what I want.

And this Thanksgiving, I can cook!! without being in pain from standing up. Sooo thankful. No guests this time, but honestly hubby and I have been "just us" for the holidays 80% of the time for the last thirty years, so this is pretty normal.

All the best to all of you, keep safe and well in these crazy times.
 
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I'm 6 months out. This year I am giving thanks for my second successful hip replacement. And certainly thankful for the support I've received here on BS.
@cstinchcomb CONGRATULATIONS! It sounds like you are doing amazing. Keep up the great work and enjoy your Thanksgiving.
 
So nice to hear such a stellar update.
I still get amazed when I think of the simple things like alot of standing that used to cause me pain and restricted my life AND sleep.
It really is the little things.
:happydance::swim: :happydance:
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom