Guest viewing is limited

TKR Cry baby

You are doing fine! :console2: Crying is something most of us have experienced to the degree that you are.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-op-blues-is-a-reality-be-prepared-for-it.7591/
You are not regressing. This recovery is not a straight line, gets better each day recovery. It is a rollercoaster with lots of ups and downs.

Maybe your friends don’t understand, nice as they are, because they have not experienced a knee replacement.

Try to hang in there, these are early weeks, and you will feel better! :console2:
 
I am having an awful day. Both knees are stiff. Fighting off cystitis (second time since op) which is guaranteed to drive me insane. At the end of my fifth week I thought I could see some improvement but it's just life conning me. I just can't stop crying and wondering what is the point. And on top of it all friends cant understand why I am taking so long to improve; they are not being unkind, just puzzled because I started off so well in the first two weeks and now seem to be regressing. I apologise for being so negative but had to have a whinge because I know lots of you have been where I am now. And yet I can't see a time when I will feel it was all worth it.

I understand. I feel stiffer and sorer at 7 weeks post op than I did at 4 weeks. I started questioning whether I did right thing. I think maybe I had unrealistic expectations. I waited a long time to get my TKR and OS suggested too long which would make recovery slower. I ha e heard lots say that they experienced dramatic improvement at 12 weeks so hoping fir better days ahead.
 
I'm at almost 8 weeks post op and still am experiencing days where I feel like I've gone backwards due to the stiffness and it doesn't seem to want to move. My OS warned me it would be a roller coaster of a recovery and he was right. It just takes time to heal.
 
You’re lucky to have an OS that warned you ahead of time. Mine didn’t and was pretty negative about my 90 ROM at 6 weeks. Lol. Good thing it was my second TKR and that I have the knowledge from this site or I would have cried in his office. Once he started in on me that I need to work harder or he’s taking me back to the OR all I heard was blah, blah, blah. It would be great if they all were forth coming as to that roller coaster we are strapped in to.
 
@nuttybrunette I'm sorry your OS was like that to you. I really like mine and feel lucky I picked him (literally just picked his name out of my insurance provider book lol). I didn't find this site until 2 or 3 days before surgery but I would have been lost without it!!
 
Hi

Do I need to worry about my ankle which has swollen up quite badly for the first time since op. Is it normal to happen five weeks on?
 
Your ankle could well swell, if you have been up and about a bit more. It's the effect of gravity - fluid going down to the lowest level.

If you can elevate your "toes about your nose" that may help.
 
Oh yes, I remember 5 weeks well because it was Easter and we went out to dinner with friends. I was out too long, waited too long for our table, even though we had reservations, because the people who had the table before us had arrived an hour late, which pushed our time back. I was only able to get my foot up about 6”, which wasn’t enough elevation. I was still swollen, down to my ankle, 24 hours later when I arrived at PT. I had a different therapist that day and she took pity on me and mostly just massaged my leg.

Yes, knees are still very cranky at 5 weeks!
 
Hi sorry for your pain and troubles. It is a tough journey. I just wonder whether tramal might be part of the problem with nausea and not feeling right. I can’t take tramal for those reasons. Maybe it’s worth a visit to GP to talk about alternative medication? I have found Targin is the only pain medication I can take that doesn’t make me sick or make me feel loopy!!

Good luck.
 
Yesterday I went by taxi with my daughter and granddaughter to a new dermatology unit in Luton - my granddaughter suffers with eczema and had an appt. When we got there I was confronted with 6 flights of stairs and no lift! I took my time and managed it with one crutch and a lot of complaining.

Afterwards we were shown a different exit which didn't involve stairs but lots of walking nevertheless. Fortunately, there was a strong breeze which helped in the heat. It was a bit of a baptism of fire re walking and totally unexpected,
but apart from feeling a bit tired today, I seem to be OK. However, I won't be going again for some time.

Slept a bit better last couple of days.
 
It’s so frustrating that what is supposed to be a simple outing has surprise complications! Glad you handled it as well as you did, and yes, I would have complained a lot, too!!

Take it extra easy the next day or 2 so your leg doesn’t get upset and “get you back” for all those steps!
 
Hi

I'm still only taking paracetamol. I am improving apart from occasionally getting out of breath and tired, I'm glad to say.

My biggest problem is at nights when my leg gets restless. Can anyone suggest a topical gel that won't irritate the scar?
 
Hi everyone

I really cant handle this weather. I'm an autumn/winter person. I could happily live in Iceland. Some of my friends moved there and they love it.

Anyway, back to knees. I'm doing stuff without thinking: putting one foot in front of the other when climbing stairs, sitting down normally, getting in and out of my car without holding my leg, laying on my front for the first time in six weeks, jumping six feet in the air on my trampoline (spot the lie) but still not getting to sleep because of 'restless leg.'

I'm going back to work on the 15th and it would be great to get back into a sleep pattern. I look wrecked with the dramatic weight loss, getting mistaken for Dot Cotton when it used to be Angelina Jolie (spot the second lie). The bags under my eyes look like packing cases.

Oh to return to noreal!
 
At least your sense of humor is in tact! :rotfl:

For most of us it takes more than six weeks for sleep to return to normal. You’re doing well with those accomplishments.
 
I had the restless leg for about 2 weeks. My PA suggested I try heat on the quad. It helped a little. Why not try it and see if it helps?
 
Hi all. Haven't been on for a few days. Can't shake off depression

My knee is healing fine. Bending really well. Taking less analgesic. Restless leg no longer a problem. I feel a bit breathless when out and about but I expect that.

There's nothing to keep me awake at
night but I struggle to sleep even though I'm tired.

I just don't get why I feel unenthusiastic and low in spirits. I've made good progress so I haven't got any reason. I'm going back to work next week but that's not a problem as I like my job.
 
For me, the depression was made worse by the lack of sleep. I didn’t figure that out until I finally (just last week) started sleeping better. What is helping me sleep better is melatonin in the form of gummies. I don’t know why the gummies would work better than pills, but they are working for me and for the friend who suggested them to me (she just had hip replacement).

So my depression is much better this week - I don’t feel nearly as low. But that’s not to say I’m all sunshine and rainbows yet. I’m doing a staged return to work, one day a week for a few weeks (I only work 3 days a week normally). I worked yesterday and it was taxing, but it was so good for my mental health. The key, as always I guess, is finding that balance. Doing the things that are good for us mentally without overdoing it physically.

Hang in there senny. We can do this! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Senny,
I had my knee replacement April 3. I understand your sleeping and depression struggles. I am still having both issues off and on. Some nights I have normal sleep and am just fine and then I will have a night or maybe two in a row where I can't sleep and can't seem to find that comfy spot. The depression then starts to creep in. I do my best to keep my spirits up and keep telling myself this too shall pass and the days will get better and better.

It all just takes time. I want to do everything now now now. My body tells me, "hold on sister!!! I have to have time to heal!!!" So I do what I can, when I can. If I am having a rough day I take it easy until the rough patch passes then move on to the next task.

Hang in there. It is going to get a little bit better every single day!!! :)
 
Thank you Chicklet and Sweetadder; it must be the lack of sleep. I used to love going to bed to have a read before settling down but it's become the enemy. I might try the gummies. Sounds pleasant. Watch this space.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom