TKR Cry baby

Hi mollymax

I have got a stash of naproxen which the doc gave me about a year ago but I found them difficult to swallow even after cutting them up. I am sticking to paracetamol now because I think the other drugs have given me unpleasant side effects.
 
Senny I hope the paracetamol works for you. I don't find it is helping me at all. I took my dihydrocodeine and paracetamol befoe going out to walk the dogs this morning but I was in agony. I only did 4 miles but the last 2 were awful. It was downhill which I find harder though.
 
@Mollymax, but you haven't had your knee replacement yet. :console2: After TKR paracetamol works much better!

I too found that paracetamol (Tylenol here in the States) did nothing for my pre-op knees. I might as well have been taking sugar pills. So when I was advised after surgery to try paracetamol... I thought, "Really? That never helps!" But it I tried it.

And it helped! A lot. I was three weeks post-surgery, had stopped my narcotics, and the paracetamol (1000 mg every six hours) did a good job with my knee pain.

I don't know why it helps more after surgery than before. Maybe because the pain is soft tissue pain and not that horrible bone-on-bone arthritis pain. But whatever the reason, paracetamol is a good post-surgery painkiller. :ok:
 
Susieshoes I certainly feel I would be as well eating sweeties as the paracetamol for all the good they do 2 x 500 every 6hrs. Let's hope they work then as you say after my op. I worry that if that's all I get then there is no hope to kill the pain.
 
After I was discharged from hospital I only took Paracetamol. I couldn't stand the various other heavy duty meds. It worked fine for me. Give it a try.
 
Hi Mollymax and Susieshoes

The pre op pain is different to the post op pain. I am only taking paracetamol now and it seems to be working but I won't know until tonight.

All the best Mollymax for your op
 
^you are exactly right, Senny.
You say in an earlier post that you got rid of the crutch early. I'm wondering if going back to using a walking aid at least at times might help take some of the load off the knee and help with pain. Lots of us used canes for 6 weeks or more. Not because we *couldn't* walk without them, but it was more stable and easier on the knee to use one.
 
Hi Kneeper

Yes you're right. That's why I've gone back to them. At the time I thought it made life easier for fetching and carrying food, laundry etc. Getting of the 'nasty' drugs has made life a bit easier. Not feeling compelled re physio also helps. I still do the ankle pumps occasionally.
 
Hope tonight goes better for you @Senny!
I'm sure you'll feel better off those other drugs. I hated how they made me feel.
 
Hi Spex 10.

Well it's 22.45 pm. I'm taking my last paracetamol for the day and putting biofreeze gel on. It helped last night. I wish I could get on with the elevation and ice but I find them uncomfortable now. My foot gets that horrible pins and needles sensation and the cryocuff actually hurts.

Thanks and goodnight to all you fellow sufferers.
 
Diclofenac was taken off the market some years ago.
Are you sure it was diclofenac? Because I've not heard of this.
A brand of ibuprofen was launched earlier this year under the name of 'Flarin' which claims to protect the stomach whilst having the same effect as 'normal ' ibuprofen.
Those mixture drugs are a con. The NSAID in them can still cause serious stomach bleeds and the only way to avoid that is to not take NSAIDs at all!
My doctor gave me Naproxene as they say that is the safest of the anti inflammatory. I rarely use it just now because of all the heart fears
Only marginally. It's still an NSAID.

Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers
I certainly feel I would be as well eating sweeties as the paracetamol for all the good they do 2 x 500 every 6hrs.
Molly, the plain fact is that there just isn't a pain killer made that will adequately manage arthritis pain and I'll tell you this - whoever does manage to find such a drug will be in line for a Nobel Prize for services to humanity!
 
Hi Josiphoned

I just checked on line and it was withdrawn a few years ago in UK. We can only buy Voltarol which is the gel equivalent
 
My son just took me shopping at local supermarket. Was only about 30 mins there and back. Phew! Shattered ! My son has been nagging me about a high protein diet. I should have listened to him. Well it's not too late.
 
That’s about normal for a trip out to the supermarket at 4 weeks post op!

Protein is probably good for you but Time is what it’s going to take to get more strength back. 4 weeks is very early days.
 
I am so relieved to hear that Jockette. I thought I had something seriously wrong (like a weak heart). As soon as I got there I wanted to go home. Now I'm cooking some salmon and peas (note the protein) and that'll be it for today. I'm moving quite nearby on Monday and I haven't seen my flat for four weeks. It's been stripped, replastered, painted and refloored all within 2 weeks! I have only seen photos and am happy with the results. I wish I could feel more excited but I am too exhausted. Then I feel guilty because there are so many people without homes.
 
All of that is par for the course with this recovery. Mixed feelings, emotions all over the place, and exhaustion, lack of sleep, lack of energy, you name it!

Moving is tough for anyone who hasn’t had recent major surgery.

They do not adequately prepare us for this recovery, and because they don’t, we worry and panic over things that turn out to be within normal range.

Be careful moving and unpacking. It will take a lot out of you, just like going to the supermarket. Do things slowly and don’t feel guilty about letting some things wait. Take care of you. If you don’t, you are the one who will feel the pain and swelling.

Congratulations on a new place, and one that’s been renovated. Be happy and be thankful you were able to do that. Best wishes! :console2:
 
Feeling exhausted is normal. It's the Energy drain for TKRs . Even a month after surgery, almost all of your energy is still being directed towards healing your knee and there isn't much left for anything else.

Do re-read the article, above.
 
I second that! The energy drain is (another) thing people don't tell you about. I remember being almost in tears during a pretty short supermarket trip. I'd wanted to go. I wanted a change of scene and to choose my own shopping but soon regretted that. I'm trying hard to remember that re my next TKR next week.
Good luck with the house move.
 
Thanks everyone.

I managed to eat a small meal and feel a little better. I won't actually be doing any unpacking, just 'bossing' everyone around.

You're right about people not telling you the half of it. My surgeon admitted that if people knew how bad it could get, a lot of them wouldn't have the op. I must admit my sister has been asking how it is as she is now thinking about having it done; she should've had it done years ago and can barely walk. I found myself telling her to discuss it with a surgeon. I just couldn't tell her everything. After all, her experience may be different to mine.
 
I was rather angry that no one told me what to expect. You can still tell her everyone is different.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom