TKR Cry baby

Senny,
This may sound silly but nights that I am really restless and really out of sorts...........I go get a Popsicle and eat it. I am not sure what it is but they are like a little bit of magic. The cool refreshing treat seems to make me feel so much better and I am usually able to lay down and relax a little better with a smile. :)
 
Oh, the post op blues are for real, no doubt about that. Post op depression can reach out and grab you even if you’re getting plenty of sleep. But for me, I think the lack of sleep was making the normal blues even stronger. I’ve just been able to cope better this past week since I’ve been getting more sleep.
 
Lack of sleep definitely plays on emotions. I found during those wakeful hours that coming on Bonesmart and trying to help others, helped me. There is always someone that needs encouragement on here.
 
Hi Sweetadder. It's funny you should mention popsicles. We've been stuffing the freezer with those and some creamy ones called 'coco nutter' which are creamy vanilla flavoured (all natural). They are a comfort, a bit like thumb sucking.
 
I went to see the surgeon today for a follow up. He asked me to hold my leg out straight and then bend it. He was really pleased with it, sent me away to come back in 5 months. Also, I've been back at work two days. Thought it would help me sleep better but alas it's not to be.
 
That's good news about the OS visit. Sorry to hear about your lack of sleep though. That's bound to sap your energy.
 
Lack of sleep can hang on for quite a while, sometimes months. :bored: I hope your sleep recovers soon! And good news from the OS. Your recovery is on track, sounds like. Most people have trouble going back to work at your stage, so congrats on that going well. :)
 
Hi njp I feel for you re lack of sleep. I am 3 weeks today post op and in the same boat as you. Last night I slept 1hr before waking up. I tried boring tv which helped me doze a bit. I count myself lucky if I sleep 3hrs straight. I get so frustrated and want to cry. The night drags. Hopefully we will both start to sleep better soon.
 
Hi people. Thanks for your replies. Going back to work was tiring for the first two days, especially the second day but I'm glad I'm at work as it's good to have a routine. I wasn't so tired today in spite of lack of sleep. I do cry sometimes when I'm so tired and desperate for sleep.

Recovery isn't always age related. There was a much younger man waiting to see my surgeon. He had his tkr 4 months ago and was having trouble holding up his leg and bending it. I told him I had podgy legs and as fat is lighter than muscle, it was easier for me to lift and bend my leg.

I might try acupuncture to help me sleep. I hate drugs cos they mess up my body although I realise it isn't like that for everyone.

Several colleagues and patients where I work (secure mental services) are getting to the stage of tkr and are forever asking me about the op. I was honest and told them how it was for me but that it's not the same for everyone. I advised them to research as much as they could. I told my colleagues about Bonesmart but can't tell patients as they have limited access to the Internet (for obvious reasons).
 
You're doing your colleagues a favor. Knowing in advance what awaits them will help them handle the surgery with better information and less stress.

Acupuncture is worth a try. The only time I tried it was on a cruise ship. It sounded like an adventure. I had a painful foot and a bad knee. Much to my amazement the acupuncture cured my foot! It did nothing to help my knee (no surprise because it was bone on bone), but my foot pain never returned.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom