Lounge Doctor

TKR crowie53 right TKR recovery

OP
OP
crowie53

crowie53

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I was fortunate to have the catheter in for 2 nights, so I had really good sleep along with with good pain relief. Boo hoo they took it out yesterday after breakfast! I then had a shower and a physio session using crutches! Ok so far after lunch more physio on crutches, umpteen trips to the loo and back! Because of an overactive bladder I sometimes go every hour, I was prescribed meds called Betmiga 3 months ago and I had persevered with taking them despite side affects of headaches, dry mouth and constipation. Can honestly say that there has been no significant difference in the frequency of urination, so I didn’t take them from the day I was admitted because the meds you get as an in patient cause constipation as well. Consequently my knee has suffered for the first time as I was so tired, no afternoon nap, and up and down through the night. I had to have assistance to get to the loo through the night because it was so painful and stiff and I was exhausted. I felt very sorry for myself especially when you are being told you are not lifting your foot correctly, er yes I know I’m not and if I could I would thank you! Rant over haha!

OP
OP
crowie53

crowie53

Country
Please can someone change my posts to crowie53 tka recovery. thank you

OP
OP
crowie53

crowie53

Country
Oops I meant crowie53 right TKR Recovery.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@crowie53 Thread title changed for you.

I hope you were able to get some sleep. They pump you full of fluids before, during and after surgery so I am not surprised you had to make multiple trips last night.

Are you on your way home soon?

Carmencita

Country
Hi @crowie53

Thanks for explaining. I think I also have contracture, both flexion and extension, so hoping TKR will help me eventually correct that. In answer to your question about where in the UK, I live in Essex but my op is happening in Berkshire - long story - on my 3rd OS due to a few complicated problems going on in my knee! It’s a private hospital but they are taking NHS cancer patients for the NHS which is absolutely right - but I have no idea when mine will happen

Sorry to hear about the ups and downs in the night - hopefully when you get home you can nap as and when needed and catch up on some shut eye. Have you been told when you can go? I hope the recovery goes well and will be interested to hear what is said about the contracture.

OP
OP
crowie53

crowie53

Country
Major setback after my TKR! On Monday during my final physio before discharge I fainted and was out for an about 8 minutes after climbing up the stairs on arm crutches. Fortunately the physio and another person using the staircase managed to break my fall without injury to myself and my new knee. After having being examined and undergoing an iodine contrast Ct scan it was confirmed that I had in fact small blood clots in both lungs. As the private hospital does not have a 24 medical team I have been transferred to my local NHS hospital where I am receiving very good care.The Spire administered the first dose of thinners via stomach injections as the A&E at the local hospital were experiencing huge waiting times for ambulance admissions. I wasn’t picked up till 12,30 on Monday evening and was kept on a small gurney for 6 hours in a bay in A&E until I managed to be put on a proper bed at 7am till I was transferred to a proper ward at 5 pm. I must admit I was feeling a bit sorry for myself and the rest of the people awaiting admissions, but I felt very sorry for the NHS staff trying to do their very best under such difficult circumstances.
Would very much appreciate any input and advice if you have had PE after your surgery.

PegGar16

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Glad to hear you are OK. I think you were lucky it happened there. 6 hours on a gurney must have been brutal. COVID is a strain on the hospitals over here also. Long waits in the ER. Hope you can get some rest now.

Nickel-free

Country
Hi there, had my zoom physio appt today. We went through history, what I could manage at the moment such as exercises and taking care of myself. Set some long term goals and had the chance to ask any questions. Easy peasy and left me with confidence that I’m doing all the right things. Hope yours goes well x

Carmencita

Country
Oh I’m so sorry to read your recent post. Thank goodness you were already in hospital, although the wait for a bed must’ve been awful. Were you in much pain? I hope you are more comfortable now. It’s even more scary with COVID hanging over us isn’t it. Best wishes.

Carmencita

Country
Just wondering how you are doing after the setback? Hope you’re managing.

OP
OP
crowie53

crowie53

Country
Hi, Carmencita I was transferred from A&E to the Acute Coronary Care Unit. I believe they were unsure about my ECG and blood tests and they were concerned that I might also have atrial fibrillation. However after complete bed rest, constant monitoring of Stats, and an echocardiogram I haven’t. Unfortunately, it has seriously hampered my knee recovery! It is so stiff and swollen, much worse than just after my surgery. In my first physio session yesterday I couldn’t do much at all, but today I managed to hobble a short distance on the Zimmer frame, I can’t put my foot flat to the floor more like tiptoeing. It’s painful but even if it was pain-free I don’t think the heel will go down yet. I have practiced the exercises she left me with and have hobbled to the loo quite a few times, but I have to sit in the loo for a while to recover so I can get back, it’s not en-suite like the Spire. After doing that a quite few times today I was exhausted and the breathlessness I was experiencing, the nurse insisted it was too much and she pushed me to the loo a couple of times.

I Can’t lift my leg into bed or out of it there isn‘t a spare commode for my night time use, my catheter has been removed, so I need to use a bedpan. I don’t mind because I get up quite a few times but it is easier for the nurses as well. Now that my medical needs are now stable they still can see I am not fit to be discharged and they are looking into that as they only have 8 beds on this acute ward. They won’t send me to a ward where there is confirmed Covid because I am still negative. They found out that one of the nearest hospitals to here that had attending physios might be able to take me but they then said I could have a bed but the physios were only allowed to treat their own patients. The Spire offered to have me back as I am still Covid negative, but those hopes were dashed before they could move me because a lady on my ward tested positive and the offer was retracted. I am getting a bit anxious now as a patient from another ward was moved to mine, but shortly afterward he was wheeled back out as his Covid test had come back positive after 3 negatives. They have put him in a side ward but his surgery will still go ahead. I will let you know where I eventually end up!!

Carmencita

Country
Oh my goodness I’m so sorry to hear your latest update.

It’s bad enough having major knee surgery but then having the heart and lung scares and now being shuffled around, with the COVID fear as well, it’s horrible for you. I’m sure all you want to do is get home and recover in peace. Are you able to take up the offer of the bed in the nearby hospital and forego the physio maybe, as until the swelling subsides a little, exercises are going to be very limited. It’s all red tape isn’t it (I.e. physios only permitted to treat certain patients).

How is your pain, I hope they have got that under control at least?

Wishing things start to improve for you and keep us posted.

OP
OP
crowie53

crowie53

Country
Would love to hear from anyone who has had pulmonary embolism after TKA or any surgery for that matter.

Roy Gardiner

Country
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

Chanel5

Country
Hi, ive just joined, so not sure how to do all of this. I’m 14 weeks post op and nearly 2weeks post MUA.
I too had small blood clots in both lungs 4 days after leaving hospital. Spent 8 days in NHS hospital. It was so worrying and I had no PT in that time either.
I'm now on blood thinners for 3 months. I’ve had so much trouble and pain trying to bend my knee. Went back in for MUA but still having pain trying to bend. Doing exercise, ice, elevation etc. My flexion is only 40, I’ve never had any trouble with extension. I’m not in a good place mentally, I cry constantly and feel my normal life is over. This has to be the hardest thing I’ve ever been through. I’m so glad I came across this website. It’s helps to know that other people know how I feel . Thanks

OP
OP
crowie53

crowie53

Country
My advice about post TKR physio is wait. Once that knee is healed, then you can look at physio.
Hi Jaycey my surgeon didn’t come back again to see me, so I didn’t get a chance to speak to him about the flexion contracture.
He retired from this NHS hospital a while ago and works at The Spire private Hospital. He is currently helping out the NHS at the moment and was doing a clinic here when he came to see me so he must have been too busy.

I’m afraid I can’t do heel slides, I wasn’t able to do them after surgery so the physio used to put my heel on the slider and push it back and forwards for me. The physio on this ward I am on seems to think I am doing ok after the set back. He showed me how I can do heel slides sitting in the chair, and make it easier to slide by using a pillowcase under my foot on the laminate floor.

I hadn’t posted recently because I was a bit down but Carmacita asked me how I was doing so I replied to her yesterday, I don’t know if you have read my post. I have been searching the website for
scouring the site and using the search buttons to search.

Hi @Chanel5 so pleased I have found someone in a similar situation as me to chat to and compare notes, but also sad that your are suffering like me. My clots are in both lungs as well. I am on Rivaroxaban 15 mg twice a day for 21 days and then 20mg for 6 months.

iI was bed bound for 3 days after my admission on Monday but I have had physiotherapy Thursday and Friday and doing the exercises they had shown me. No physios on over the weekend though. Why no physios in your hosptal? The ward I’m on is a cardiology ward but the physios visit any ward where they are needed.

My orthopaedic surgeon from the Spire came to see me briefly yesterday as he was helping out on the ITU ward but probably because my husband had rang him. He answered the question I wanted to know: why was my leg was so stiff even when I am now moving around, and he says it’s the anti coagulants.

I can’t believe you were without physio for 8 weeks that’s shocking, unless you were so ill to do it. I can perfectly understand where you are coming from, you are physically and mentally drained and my heart goes out to you. There is no doubt this is going to be a long hard road for us. because we are battling to get our mobiity back, but also dealing with breathlessness and exhaustion as our bodies are trying to heal from two traumas.
We are also dealing with great anxiety about our recovery and what is means long term for us, and If your like me I am constantly checking the drugs side affects in case I am developing any of them which leads to more anxiety. So I’ve decided that at least I am still alive and I am going to take one day at a time. That’s not to say I am never going to feel sorry for myself or have a good old cry or not want to get up in the morning to face the world, but I am going to try my hardest.

If you feel that your are not coping it might be a good idea to speak to your doctor because you may be suffering from depression, and that is what I intend to do if it gets too difficult for me. Take care

Last edited by a moderator:

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Countrybumpkin
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom