Guest viewing is limited

CPM Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of those no win discussions and hurt feelings seem to abound.
Every time the subject comes up, much like the PT discussion, people seem to feel the need to vehemently convince others of their position.

If a member has their own empirical observations, loved it and felt that it helped them, why not say "cool! :thumb:" and let it go. Seriously!

I absolutely loved my CPM.
Hi Carollyn14 and welcome to Bonesmart!
Such a gathering for your very first post! That is great the CPM worked for you, it did for me too! :)

I do apologize that your first contact with us which is very important, on the BoneSmart forum, was lost among the pros and cons camps of using a CPM. Most of the time the members and staff are caring folks and would have greeted you with a big hello had they noticed you were a new member.

I do hope that you return and share more of your experience with us. I would love to hear about being an ortho nurse on the floor and comparing it to what it was like to find yourself the patient. My goodness, you must have some good insights that you can share with us.

Again, welcome and please do come back! Perhaps start your own thread and share about some things you are able to do now or hope to enjoy this summer, post TKR.
All the best, 1Elisea. :SUNsmile:
 
:iagree:. Where else can the ROM be? What else could reduce ROM? Alright, it might eventually be adhesions, but they take quite some time to form.
 
I had 90 ROM on the day of surgery, so I did heel slides and outpatient pt from day 4 on
Me too but I did very little in the way of exercising. I did walk around the house quite a bit and used the stairs from my first day home. Never thought anything of it. Most of my stuff is upstairs so I would go up and get it or put it way again.
What else could reduce ROM?
Ooh, any number of things, Tykey.
1. swelling
2. haematoma
3. joint effusion
4. bursitis
5. tendinitis
6. inflamed soft tissues such as muscles, ligaments, fascia, fat, skin
7. injured ligaments or tendons
8. neuropathy (nerve damage)
9. pain or lack of functionality in nearby joints like foot, hip, spine
10.fear
11. anxiety

That enough for ya? :wink:
 
My biggest takeaway from this is how many people I've seen reference they would start it and go to sleep...and stay asleep. I just had lunch with a colleague that had the surgery last year and she said she used it all night - that didn't sound all that safe to me but she said that on nights she didn't use it, she woke up much more and was in more pain.
 
I know I have chimed in on this post (and many) on use of CPM before, but to rehash I do think in hospital it helped me immensely. Frankly it felt good laying there in a hospital bed. I did have (with both knees) nurses and PTs tell me that it is ineffective after 90 ROM, and with both knees that happened before I was discharged. I never had one at home consequently....but in hospital I liked it. A lot!
 
I had the CPM twice during recovery - once for the original surgery and once after the MUA's. Following the original surgery, I could never get the CPM past 70 degrees, it just was NOT happening. In the hospital, it felt good to have the movement, afterwards at home, it was fine but I certainly didn't see any great improvements by using it - I seemed to get a lot of swelling after it's use. After my MUA's, I was religious about using it hours a day, increasing the degrees as the time passed. I couldn't help but wonder if I'd actually CAUSED my need for MUA's by not using the machine often enough or for long enough each session. I did get up to 115 degrees on each knee, but found by doing so I started having pain on the inside edge of each knee, where the tendons are. My takeaway was that the movement felt really good, it could be very relaxing, but in my case I don't believe it necessarily contributed to greater ROM.
 
My knee doesn't like the CPM and I actually got better results getting up and walking from the house to the garage and up a stair or two. I also have a bike on an indoor trainer which is more useful to me. When the CPM home delivery person brought it, I used it once and put it in the closet. :heehee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom