THR Counting My Blessings

Happy Saturday!
I love your OS's viewpoint in all. You're lucky you found him.
Great post op visit and wonderful update.
I hope you have a lovely weekend!
@Debru4
 
I have a different question, and am wondering if I should ask it here, or start a new thread? Being new to the forum, I am learning as I go. Also, I tried to PM someone but was told I didn't have access. If I want to reply to something someone said, do I just do it on this thread, in a text box like this, OR???? Thanks:)
 
Yes, ask your question here. That way everything we know about your recovery is in one place.

Edit- oops!@Mojo333 beat me to the answer
 
Thanks, @Mojo333---I will read the link you shared. My question relates to the incision site. The dressing/zipper were removed at my 2 week appointment. There is still some swelling and a very lumpy texture on and around the site. The doctor said it was healing just fine. I am wondering if there is something I should be doing to prevent car tissue from forming at the site? When I had back surgery 10 years ago my doctor and my physical therapist told me to massage around the site and be sure to do stretches/specific exercises to prevent scar tissue from forming. Is it too early, or even necessary to do that for this hip incision (anterior)? I know how painful scar tissue around a surgical site is and if I can do something proactive to stop it I'd like to do that. Since I am not having PT I don't want to miss something. Also is there something I should be rubbing into the area to reduce scarring, or once again it it too soon? Thanks!
 
Something you might be interested in...
In the past we had the policy of telling people not to use anything on their wound prior to it completely healing up. And even then we would tell them that massaging things into the wound in the hopes healing would progress better wasn't necessary.

However, that has changed since we became aware of hypochlorous solution (HOCL)....and specifically a hypochlorous product called ACTIVE Scar Shield. I encourage you to click on the link in the blue NavBar and read our newest educational section on Wound Care. In it you will see references to using HypoChlorous Solution as soon as possible on any wound as it is a strong antibacterial solution. In addition, the sooner a person is able to use it, the sooner the product can start working to improve the appearance of a scar.

We have also created a Hypochlorous Fast Facts sheet that is available via either of these links on the website:

https://bonesmart.org/hypochlorous-hocl-solution/?source=woundcareathome

Hypochlorous Fast Facts

ACTIVE Scar Shield is available only through BoneSmart via these links:

broken link removed: https://shop.bldgactive.com/products/ssg/?source=bonesmarthocl

broken link removed: https://shop.bldgactive.com/products/ssg/?source=bonesmarthocl

We have some members testing this product now and in the coming months will be talking about how it has helped them heal.

If you have concerns, print out the Fast Facts sheet and discuss it with your doctor (who may very well have no clue about hypochlorous solution!) I didn't and therefore didn't apply anything until incision was totally closed up. Mine incisions liked like they would be rough scars, but they smoothed out nicely without anything.
Battle scars:heehee:
 
If you want to change your thread title to something else, let us know.
 
@Mojo333---Could you change the thread title to "Suggestions for avoiding scar tissue formation, as well as scarring at incision site"? Thanks.
 
@Debru4 My OS said to not put anything on incision till my 6 Wk post op. Of course he probably doesn't know about what Mojo333 posted.

The PT lady said to massage around the incision but only towards the body trunk. My incision is anteriorlateral, so on side of upper leg. So I massage upwards.

Hope that helps. My incision was glued, not stapled. I'm extremely happy with how it looks now at 5 weeks.
 
It is very new and very promising if you read, as it is something your body makes naturally.
I didn't put anything on mine for several months.
They look pretty good, I think.:)
 
Thanks----I am actually more concerned about the scar tissue around the incision than the appearance. I had some scar tissue around my previous back surgical incision and it was very painful---felt like ripping, searing pain when I moved in certain positions. Eventually I was able to break up the adhesions through PT, but since I'm not doing PT for my hip, I wondered how to avoid the adhesions. I think that @Bchbum4evr has a good suggestion with the upward massage around the incision. Mine also is anteriorlateral, and at 2 1/2 weeks seems healed externally, but as I said, it is very lumpy and ropey around it. Is that normal?
 
It was normal for me...bumpy and lumpy...internal stitches I'm guessing...they glued me up too....
 
In my case PT was needed as I had stopped using my leg for over two years.
I couldn't rotate my leg or lift it over 45 degrees.
I was limping heavily and when bending over or sitting or standing up i did it entirely over my good leg.

The first month after the surgery I rested most of the day and incorporated brief walks.

I started light PT at 5 weeks, once I was cleared by my doctor.
Heat, electic stimulation has helped in nurshunng in blood to the affected tissues, muscles, and ligaments and helping with the tingles around the scar tissue.

We have started to increase slowly the excercises at PT and even incorporated swimming at and upper body work at week 7.

There is no pain whatsoever swimming, on the static bike, going up or down stairs or doing excercises.
I have some mellow sore spots but nothing noticeable or that demands taking pain pills.

however I spent most part of my week resting as I only partially work 2-3 days a week.

Instead of general formulas like TO PT OR NOT TO PT, I believe it's better to define the need to have PT on a case to case basis based upon your current physical state, weakness of the limb existance and intensity of limping, the general state of health, goals and ammount of activity youhave going on in your life.
 
I have a new recovery issue I’d appreciate some advice on.

I have had a fairly easy recovery so far from my total hip replacement on August 3, 2018. I've not needed a cane or supports to walk since week 2 and have been off of all pain medication except for an occasional tylenol since week 3. My surgeon has said I have been ahead of schedule in my healing. Clearly, I have been very lucky.

However, right at week 4, a few days ago, I started having increased pain in my knee, hip, and around my scar. (I still have pain in my thigh, but feel like the pain I am having in my thigh area/femur is probably normal.) But the other pains concern me. My right leg even gave out once, like before my surgery.

My scar still is very lumpy, and a combination of numb, itchy, and sore which is a bit unnerving, but normal I understand. However, the past few days there has been a different type of pain from around the incision when I walk or move. It is very tight/stiff, and often pulls/stings. My leg feels very heavy between my knee and hip.

I haven't been quite as active this week so wondered if I am not stretching or moving enough/the right way, or had overdone previously, or if there is something going on internally to make the incision area more uncomfortable.

I am worried that after having been off of pain meds for a week, and having felt really good for several days, I have renewed/different pain in the other areas. I don't want to miss something important.

I do have an appointment next Friday with my surgeon. Is this something I need to see him sooner for? Start back taking Tylenol or Tramadol again regularly? Massage the scar area? Excerise/stretch more? All suggestions appreciated!

@Josephine
 
Good afternoon,
Sorry you're struggling a bit.
I see you've tagged, Josephine. I'll look forward to her response.
Wishing you comfort and pain relief.
@Debru4
 
The hardest part of that time of recovery was trying to figure out if the pains were "normal" pains or if something went wrong. The feelings constantly changed and so did where they were coming from.
 
I agree with Eman85 above in questioning pain. I found most of the pain to be fleeting.
For the most part I'd only question nagging, unrelenting pain that was escalating in intensity.
Or any symptoms you were warned to report. We'll see what Josephine has to say.
Hope your weekend is a good one.
@Debru4
 
Hi @Debru4,

Just an opinion here... The pain you describe is quite possible nerve pain caused by swelling and inflammation. This pain is often referred to the knee or lower (depending the nerve in question). There is a lot of bruising/swelling deep in the tissues of your leg (quad, adductors, abductors, glutes... in addition to the immediate area of your hip). This swelling can put pressure on the nerves and cause pain, and a bit of weakness. I suggest you back off your activity a bit and let muscles recover. And ice the leg... not just the hip, wbut the other areas as well... this will help to reduce the swelling.

Now, in saying that, definitely mention the pain and "leg giving out" to your surgeon. As I said, it is likely swelling causing the issue, but your surgeon will probably want to monitor you... and the more information your surgeon has, the better :-)

Cheers
 
Thanks to everyone who has given suggestions. I suspect you are correct, and it just is part of the healing process. I am relieved that others also question what is normal, or not. I just don't want to mess things up by ignoring things I shouldn't. I have not been icing, since I had been feeling so good. I will start that and see if that helps. What about heat?

Does anyone else use topical creams? I had used them daily before my surgery, but was told after surgerynot to put anything on the incision area, and that is the area where much of my new pain is, internally. Did he just mean not to put anything on it until it was externally healed, (which it is) or for a longer time?

@Layla ---Josephine had told me to tag her when I contacted her directly so she could respond to the group on the forum and not individually. Could you tell me if I incorrectly tagged her? If she's busy, no problem:) But if it was my tagging error, I'd like to fix it. Thanks so much!
 
I do have an appointment next Friday with my surgeon. Is this something I need to see him sooner for? Start back taking Tylenol or Tramadol again regularly? Massage the scar area? Excerise/stretch more? All suggestions appreciated!

@Josephine
You did it correctly.
She has many tags from hip and knee side and must have missed yours so we will just do it here.
@Josephine

Please give some time as we keep her ridiculously busy.
Hope today is a better day.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom