THR Counting My Blessings

@SurreyGirl--You make such a good point---there are lots of small things we can do that add up to big things....like your going further from your office for bathroom breaks, resulting in using more stairs. One small thing I am doing is to park further from stores than I need to, to add more steps in.

I wish I shared your love of the water because I know that movement in water is so good for you. My problem is I hate being cold in pools. And even when I am exercising in the water in water aerobics, I never totally warm up, and I hate getting out and being cold. I am such a whining baby about it......if the pools were bathtub warm, I'd do water aerobics with pleasure!:heehee:

I feel like I have a new lease of life and want to respect my body rather more than I did before...
I love this comment of yours! I think I can still do a better job this than I am now----good reminder.:loveshwr:
 
Well lets keep in touch! Your surgery was one week before mine but we had completely different approaches by our surgeons. I used to love swimming in cold water, less so now :-)
 
Hope all is well with you, my hippy pal.
Coming up at 9 months and you are proof positive life is better with a new hip!
I saw improvement for well over a year so all the best for a sweet summer.:SUNsmile:
 
Just came inside after several hours outside gardening. It was like a dream---a good one. :loveshwr: A year ago I was gardening in horrendous pain.....barely able to bend over, or get up and down to weed/prune, plant, etc. And now, 9 months after my hip replacement, I am outside enjoying one of my favorite pastimes. This far surpasses my best hopes for my hip replacement.

I have gradually built up to several hours----started with an hour or two, and each week added a bit on. Now I am able to handle longer amounts of time. I still have some aches and pains---almost all back related. With tylenol, ice, and rest, I am able to reset, and be ready to garden again within a day or two. This would not have been possible without my hip replacement. :yahoo:

I hope that whatever your passion is, your hip surgery/replacement will allow you to resume it! Just remember that you shouldn't rush the process---take the time to heal well, and to gradually get back to what you love.
 
I can only speak for myself but... my friend had a hip replacement done several years ago... she was put through rigorous PT and had chronic pains aches for years. It’s only now she is pain free.
I had my hip replacement done 5 months ago and took the advice on from here.... I did no physio hardly for the first few weeks, not much walking. Then at week 4 picked it up a bit walking but still little physio. No pain!! I’m back at work full time now and all is great. my muscles built up through mainly getting back to life!! I’ve no pain whatsoever and the hip is fantastic.
Midouri x
 
:flwrysmile:Great to hear how well you are doing and how life equals joy again @Debru4
I can't imagine where I would have been by now - physically and mentally - had I not had my hips replaced.
@midouri What a splendid testimonial and more improvement to come!:happydance:
 
So glad you have had such a great experience with your new hip @Debru4
I’ve been very much the same... it’s so life changing & you sound so excited... it’s lovely [emoji3059]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Good to hear from you, Deb

We've had couple of beautiful days, haven't we? I am so glad that you are back in your garden and doing what you love. I will be working back into my hiking this summer, which is what I love. I was like you, last summer I toughed it out, but regretted it afterward. Now, I just have to remember to take it slow, like you.
 
So wonderful to hear from you @KathyD! Yes, our recent days have been a bit more like it! I am so far behind where I typically am at this time of the year, but I am committed to pacing myself. It has been a lesson in patience.

I'm hopeful you'll be able to get back into hiking with 2 healthy new hips this summer. Where do you typically hike? I have not done any elevations yet----was thinking I'd get to it by now, but have had so much going on that hiking has been bumped way back. Plus, with our recent snows and wet weather, the nearby trails haven't been prime for me, given I'm out of hiking shape.

Perhaps you and I can actually meet sometime this summer in Longmont, for coffee or a glass of wine perhaps, to exchange our hip recovery stories in person, since we live so close! Will you be driving to Longmont throughout the summer?
 
Early in the season I hike in the Jefferson County open space areas along the front range. Later on I hit the ones near Evergreen and Conifer and there are a bunch of trails that start here in Georgetown, or very close by. I don't hike in Utah in the mid summer - too hot. I have my eye on one peak here in the county - Mount Sniktau. I drive by it all the time and I love the name! I think I'll try that in August.

I will be working in Longmont for the long term, I think. I am up there Monday, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I will probably be staying over on some Monday nights so maybe we can arrange something then.

Well, I'm up too late, better go to bed now. Bye :)
 
@KathyD-----Snowing on May 21st---freeze warnings all around....crazy, isn't it!?!?! How was your commute today? If it doesn't stop snowing and things don't dry out, things like hiking and gardening are going to be pretty hard to enjoy for awhile.....boo!:gaah:

Yes, let's do try to coordinate a time to meet in Longmont--perhaps in June. Kind of a unique opportunity to actually meet a fellow "hipster".:friends:
 
This is my first time asking a question on this forum, but I have read comments on it often since learning I needed THR.

I will be going in for my 2 week follow up in two days, after having anterior approach right THR. I am doing well, have been off of heavy duty pain meds since day 4, able to walk unassisted in my home, and am walking about 2400 steps each day.

My ortho originally said most likely he wouldn’t suggest PT after surgery unless I was having problems because daily movement and being active would suffice. However I have been cautioned by three people who had THR that I should take advantage of this chance for early PT that would be covered by insurance. They said they wouldn’t have progressed as well without it. None live in my city.

My adult children also are encouraging me to do PT if I want to get back my mobility and strength. I am ambivalent as the PT I did following back surgery was helpful, but I’ve read many comments warning about how it can be detrimental after THR.

I’m not sure I’d know which exercises to decline or which would be OK. I feel like I need to be prepared for my Dr apptointment. Has anyone consulted with a PT first and told them they wanted a very pain free, conservative approach? Any ideas that would help me decide are much appreciated. I don't want to set myself back since I’m doing so well, but have a trip planned in 2 months that I want to be ready for. Thank you.

I'm having the same dilemma as you are. There is an order in for physical therapy and I'm wondering if it would help my muscle tightness, etc. or will taking walks every day suffice. I would never do anything that I know would hurt - so that might be looked on as non-cooperative. I'm not sure what to do. I went to this P/T pre-surgery hooping it would help but it really didn't except during the heat pack at the end!
 
@Trudijane ---this was my first post last August, right after I had my hip replaced. I got a lot of good advice, so read a few of the posts that follow this one if you get a chance.

I opted NOT to do the PT and am 100% convinced, that for me, it was the best decision. My surgeon did not recommend PT, but would have written me a script for it if I was insistent. However, following his advice, and the advice of so many on the forum, instead of doing PT, I simply walked, and resumed my daily life activities, including stairs, as I was able. My recovery was far faster, and smoother than I had imagined. Don't get me wrong----I still had plenty of bumps in the road, and pains in my hip (leg/back/bottom/thigh):heehee:. But I was able to walk unassisted with no limp, drive, and get back into my regular life sooner simply by listening to my body and not pushing myself with PT exercises. I know it seems like a hard choice because we are conditioned to think that all recoveries need PT, but my surgeon was very clear that hips are different, and PT is not needed. Good luck with your decision!
 
But I was able to walk unassisted with no limp, drive, and get back into my regular life sooner simply by listening to my body and not pushing myself with PT exercises. I know it seems like a hard choice because we are conditioned to think that all recoveries need PT, but my surgeon was very clear that hips are different, and PT is not needed. Good luck with your decision!
I feel exactly the same way!:tada:
 
At 10 months out I still have considerable numbness, and a very odd sensation along the outer length of my scar for about 3 inches. It hasn't change/improved since about 4 months. I have heard that this is a common issue with those who had the anterior surgery. I'm curious if anyone has seen improvement after so many months of no change?

(It is very similar to the c-section scar I have from 30 years ago, only a much larger width beyond the actual incision. That c-section area is only about 1/2 inch wide, but still a combo of numb, weird feeling, and pain when I bump it.)

I can live with it---beats the pain any day. Just curious.......:flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Debru4
I can't remember exactly when the large area of numbness around my incision and one leg down front of thigh fully abated but it did. Sometime around 8-9 months post-op I believe.
My scars are still a bit sensitive and don't like bumping even now.
 
Last edited:
Happy to see you pop up in the feed @Debru4 Glad to see you are still doing so well. I’ve been curious on numbness too. I still have at least three inches behind my scar, full length with numbness. Encouraging to read @Mojo333 had full recovery of feeling later on. Hope you’re having a great summer! ❤️
 
Since I am 10 months out, I am not sure I will be lucky enough to get the sensation back, like @Mojo333 did. It's not something I have been able to completely ignore, as I am aware of it each time I put on clothes, shower, apply lotion, etc.It's just weird---and unless I start focusing on it, I am able to ignore it.

@Fit4Family----you fall well within the "@Mojo333 timeline for numbness evanescing" (Fun word---I just learned it---:heehee: "pass out of sight, memory, or existence").

I am having a great summer---still waiting for our Colorado temps to warm up a bit, as gardening has been challenging with all of the rain and weird weather we've been having, as has getting outside to walk/hike. Our mountains are still pretty snow packed. How about you? I recall right around 3 months, where you are, feeling like I had a whole new lease on life. I hope you are able to enjoy your summer now that you have your replacement in the rear view mirror!
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom