I am coming up on my one year anniversary and so happy to have this past year in the rear view mirror and be in a place where I rarely give my hip any thought. To say the surgery was life changing is not an exaggeration and I feel so lucky to have been able to get the new hip when I did!
A couple weeks ago I did my first mountain hiking since having my right hip replaced last August. While I've done regular long walks on more level ground, or in some nearby hills, this was the first time I got to test my hip at both elevation and on steep, rocky trails. The first day I started on a pretty easy trail at 9,300 feet elevation---it was only a couple miles and I was relieved to have no trouble at all, with either the thin air, or my hip.
The next day I joined my adult kids on a much longer, steeper trail that was quite rocky. I had purchased trekking poles, as recommended by several here on the forum. I didn't find them very helpful/easy to use on the way up, but coming down I used one pole and it helped stabilize me so much. I will continue to use the poles in the future.
I was out of hiking shape in general, especially at such high elevations, but in terms of my hip----it did GREAT! Not one lick of right hip pain. The next day I once again hiked a couple miles on a moderately easy trail and for the first time that weekend, I totally forgot about my hip. I was able to enjoy the wildflowers, streams, scenery, and the wonderful sensation of resuming a hobby I had loved, before my hip deteriorated.
For those of you starting out on the recovery journey, I'd suggest setting some realistic goals, a distance out, and then doing smaller things to be able to built up to them. While I was tempted much earlier to get into the mountains and hike, I now am glad I waited until the trails no longer had mud and snow on them, and I was in better walking shape in general. A special thanks for those on here who encouraged me, and offered good advice about how to smartly get back to doing the things I loved. I still have a lot of goals to accomplish in terms of fitness and things I'd like to try again. I keep reminding myself that slow and steady wins the race!
