Guest viewing is limited

THR Counting My Blessings

@Debru4

I am reading about your balance issues. Do your feet pronate, by any chance? Eg do they wanna turn in at the ankle when you move your weight over the foot while walking?

If so, that may be holding you back. I pronate BAD, and finally a PT said to me a couple years ago, you need to go see this particular pedorthist (NOT podiatrist!!!) and get a prescription pair of orthotics.

All of a sudden my single leg balance got a whole lot better.

My feet are built so that the big toe doesn’t touch the ground unless the ankle is kind of collapsed. So every time I’d try to stand on one leg my ankle would wobble trying to get all of my toes in the ground and not being able to, and I’d lose my balance! Might be worth checking.
 
@tollertwins---Thanks for the comments! I had a pair of orthotics many years ago for ankle and foot pain. They cost a fortune and seemed to make things worse. I stopped using them, rested the foot, and have never had any pain since. I do make sure I wear shoes with a good support. But your comments make me wonder if the single leg balance thing is not related to my hip, since I seem to be OK otherwise,(have never fallen or tipped over:), and more of a foot issue. I will keep that in mind as well.:SUNsmile:

I can related to this comment---it's exactly what happens to me:
So every time I’d try to stand on one leg my ankle would wobble trying to get all of my toes in the ground and not being able to, and I’d lose my balance! Might be worth checking.
 
@KathyD---that's a great idea---a very "doable" simple exercise to work on, that addresses the balance issue without putting too much stress on anything! Thanks for the suggestion. I am so glad I put this out there----lots of great suggestions!:happydance:
 
@Josephine ---thanks so much for the information. It makes perfect sense, the way you explained it, and is very reassuring.

I like having access to my medical records and information, and know there are many resources online to find out about things. But often there is a lot of conflicting info to wade through and make judgements about, so I especially appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions.

Having someone you trust explain things to you really is helpful! Have a great weekend!
 
@Debru4 New orthotics can definitely do that. My guy recommended out starting out an hour a day and increasing every week or so. I was so used to wearing OTC orthotics, and padding out my shoes myself to try and get some support that I just went for it. The muscle on the outside of my ankle was sore for a good while..
 
@tollertwins---I may need to pull them out again and try the gradual use, although they most likely aren't the right fit after so many years. Since I typically wear supportive shoes that give me good arch and ankle support, even in my indoor Mahabis slippers, I don't notice pronation. I have noticed the balance issue when barefoot mostly---so need to do some experimenting to see if it could be a pronation issue!:flwrysmile:
 
Yup, all those muscles get yanked around big time during surgery and it will take time to get them working at full strength again. But you can do it, @Debru4, lots of options for methods of strengthening muscles and improving balance. All in good time, but you'll get there!
 
Oy! Just checked the slippers out, sadly, they wouldn’t work for me...

The pedorthist had me walk barefoot to see just how bad I pronated, then cracked up because I didn’t. I have apparently trained myself to hold my big toe up in the air when I’m barefoot ... No doubt why I really used to like barefoot shoes before my hips cratered!
 
So I have what may be a silly question about the trekking poles--hoping some of you can help me.:friends: I borrowed a set of poles from a friend, and she helped me adjust them for my height.

I never struggle with balance when walking and mainly wanted the poles for hiking on uneven, or mountainous trails this summer. So when I use the poles on flat surfaces I can't say they feel helpful or necessary for my daily walks, but I can see how they could be good in the mountains.

While out for my walks, I've seen 2 different people using poles. Both had theirs adjusted higher, where they were raising their arms up much more than mine to use them. One's poles seemed really high. So what is the proper height?

If I use them when climbing up, do I adjust them differently than when going back down? Clearly I don't know what I'm doing with those goofy poles, and don't want to fall or break something due to a trekking pole mishap!:heehee: If i decide to buy some, I can ask the salesperson then, but I'd like to try them out on my stairs or some other inclines first, so I'd like a general idea of what to do with them. Thanks---:SUNsmile:
 
Trekking poles should be high - you can find height charts by googling. YouTube has plenty of videos showing how to use them properly and explaining their benefits - I found it took a bit of practice to get the rhythm correct. Don’t practice with them on the stairs....
 
I agree with HertsHippy that YouTube has a lot of videos on stuff like this.
Much more informative to "watch and learn" than getting written advice about it here.
Check it out.
@Debru4
 
Leki says to adjust them so your forearms are parallel with the ground. That's how I have mine and it seems to work well. Check out the Leki videos on youtube, they should be pretty good guidance since they've been making poles for hiking and skiing for a long time. Like Layla and Hertshippy said, there are plenty of other good videos too. :hiking::treadmill:
 
Thanks @desertrat for the specific recommendation. I just watched a Leki video and think I understand. Mine were a little bit low, but the ones I saw in my neighborhood were big time high----hence my confusion! I am thinking I will buy my own poles sometime this spring. :SUNsmile:
 
@HertsHippy---thanks for the heads up about not practicing on my steps! I was trying to think of a place with a good incline and they came to mind. But obviously there is no way to practice the stride and proper movements going up a flight of steps! :goodpost:I can see that it will take me awhile to get in a better flow than I currently am in, having never used them before.
 
Maybe we should get together and practice on an easy hike. I have a set of poles that I have never used because I'm not sure how they'll work.
 
I think ppl doing Nordic style walking hold their poles higher.

As for regular poles, I was reading different surgeons rehab recommendations and one guy recommends working w hiking poles because they put your pelvis in a good alignment if you are using them right. In my case, they are a LOT more effort than 2 crutches...
 
Hey, @KathyD ----maybe we should do that! :yes!: Perhaps when you are in Longmont sometime??

May have to wait a bit though as I need to return the poles to their owner soon. But I hope to buy some of my own, as I'm sure I'll use them at some point.

@tollertwins--Your comment makes sense, and solves the mystery of the high pole walkers. Thanks!!

As I have been researching, I have been surprised at how many people use them, and recommend them. I think I would have to do a lot of practice to be sure I was using the proper form. So far, when I have practiced with my borrowed pair, I feel like they are a prop that I have to remember to put down and move with.:heehee:
 
Another "Bomb Cyclone" heading our way, Deb! Will winter never end?
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom