Revision TKR Counting Down to 2nd TKA Revision

dissatisfaction with the knee, and VTE. Don’t know what VTE is
VTE stands for venous thrombo- embolism. That's postoperative blood clots that can then go to the lungs.
It is a risk with any surgery particularly if there is immobility.
 
April 4 Update

  • We discussed the surgery would take likely several hours and she would be in the
    hospital for several days after the surgery. We discussed we may limit her weightbearing or range of motion after the surgery to facilitate cone ingrowth and wound healing. I asked if the rehab/recovery for this surgery is comparable to a typical TKA revision. He said it was. Which is confusing since encouraging weight bearing and ROM is standard post-op care.


Thanks.
I sent a note back to the OS about the WB and ROM, this was his response:

you will likely be PWB 50% for 6 weeks after surgery with a walker (to help facilitiate healing/ingrowth) and the knee will be in a brace straight with no ROM usually for 5-7 days postop to facilitate wound healing

This is concerning to me. When I broke my femur in 2020, I was toe weight bearing initially and then gradually worked up to 50% and then as tolerated. I have Cerebral Palsy which means my “good” leg is actually not very good. I cannot use it to bear all my weight or ‘hop.” I think I’ll end up in a wheelchair longer or even using a knee scooter. The knee scooter was a big help for the femur rehab.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
 
I’d love to hear from anyone who has experience with a hinged implant and the recovery.
If you put hinged implant into the search feature, upper right of this page, you’ll find others who have one and you can ask them questions.

We discussed we may limit her weightbearing or range of motion after the surgery to facilitate cone ingrowth and wound healing.
They did say that they may limit the weight bearing, so it looks like it’s not definite. Tell them of your concerns and see how they handle it. It is my impression that HSS is top of the line, and they’ve probably had this scenario before.

Best wishes!!
 
@Jockette, I did share my concerns and instead of using a walker, I’ll probably come home with a wheelchair. That’s what I had to do when I broke my femur and had partial weight bearing. Then I used a knee scooter to get around. It’s smaller than a wheelchair and has a basket which is nice.
 
@Admin - please change title of this thread to “Counting Down to 2nd TKA Revision”

May 6 Update ••
Still recovering from Pre-Op trip to HSS 4/30- 5/2. Ending up driving to/from NYC as weather delayed flight twice and I HAD to be in NYC for a day of appointments starting 0800. They certainly are thorough here which is really nice. I had eight appointments…
  1. Medical Clearance with Internal Medicine. Got the list of meds to stop 14, 5, and 2 days before surgery. They did a 2nd blood draw just to confirm blood type. Have to stop solid foods at noon the day before surgery because I am on Wegovy. Clear liquids allowed up to three hours before surgery.
  2. Knee X-rays
  3. EKG and Echocardiogram - report a bit confusing but doesn’t seem to alarm to doctors
  4. Pre-Op PT - making sure I do what DME I might need at home. Reinforced goal is to discharge to home if possible.
  5. Pain Management - discussed pain management protocol. Glad to learn they won’t limit opioids. Options will include IV Tylenol/Paracetamol, Dilaudid, and muscle relaxers.
  6. Anesthesia - HSS hasn’t used general anesthesia for years. The plan includes nerve blocks, epidural with PCA and a spinal.
  7. Nutrition - need to eat more protein.
  8. Endocrinology - best appointment for me. Going to stay on the .5 dose of Wegovy until I plateau rather than automatically increasing dose every four weeks. The last dose will be the 19th as they want me to skip it until I am back home. I also have Osteoporosis and the Dr is prescribing Forteo which builds bone and increases bone density. Still waiting on insurance to approve. It’s a daily injection.
I drove home (9 hours) and was completely exhausted.

A friend is coming up the day before I leave (5/23) for surgery to stay with the dogs (4). She’ll stay for at least a month.

Now, I am working through the To Do list and trying to stay positive.
 
@celynda Such a long journey for you! But HSS sounds very impressive. That must be a great comfort for you.

Yes, do stay positive! Sounds like you are ready to get this done!
 
Best Wishes tomorrow, celynda!
Please let us know how you’re doing once you’re resting comfortably at home and know that we’re here for support always. Sending a hug! :friends:
@celynda
 
How are you doing? I may use Brian Chalmers and just wondering if he has enough experience because he is young! I hope you are doing well!
@celynda
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello catsarecute123, Thanks for joining us.
Please take notice that I have tagged, celynda, for you by typing this symbol -> @
in front of her name, with no space between the symbol and her name.

Since you are pre-op and facing a TKR, I'd like to encourage you to join us as an Insider.


Basic BoneSmart membership does not include access to certain areas or the ability to perform some functions on the forum. For a more complete BoneSmart experience that includes the ability to start your own threads and have discussions with members and staff regarding your specific questions and concerns, please consider joining the Insiders Club. In addition to opening access to all forum features, the Insiders Club also offers services such as assistance in finding a surgeon, helpful downloads, and access to our BoneSmart Library of videos and in-depth articles to help you successfully navigate your joint journey. Please join us!

Here is a link to check out -
@catsarecute123!


 
@catsarecute123!, I am VERY pleased with my experience with Dr Chalmers and HSS. Yes, he’s young but he has lots of experience and is supported by the world-class HSS team.
I have no hesitation about recommending him. He listened to all my concerns and was upfront and honest at all times.

I live in West Virginia and am now seeing an HSS fellow at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville for follow-up. Good luck with your surgery.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom