• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[REVISION THR] Constant pain continuing 1 year after THR<^

Layla

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Hi @Marvy
It's nice to hear from you. Great news on losing the limp. You've been through a lot over the past three years with your left hip so I can fully understand why you're doubting a day will come when you can say "hip, what hip?" But that doesn't mean it won't happen.

Would you consider phoning the office of your OS and through conversation with a member of your surgeon's care team, allow them to make a determination as to whether you need to schedule an appointment? It could give you some peace of mind also, as opposed to wondering what's going on.

Happy Monday....I hope you have a nice week!

SaraK

post-grad
Country
I was thinking of you over the weekend @Marvy ! I'm glad to know things have improved in certain respects but sorry to hear you're still having problems. You might see if the doctor thinks muscle relaxants or gabapentin would help in the interim. With everything else you've been through, you might be having muscle spasms or misfiring nerves.

I look forward to hearing you say "hip, what hip" someday!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'm walking a lot (with no limp!).
How much is "a lot"? Sounds like you are using muscles that have not had to work in awhile. They are bound to complain. I agree with SaraK - meds to get those muscles relaxed may be needed short term.

OP
OP
M

Marvy

Country
@Jaycey - I typically walk about 10,000 steps a day (4-5 times a week). I've been doing this for a few months now, so it's "nothing new" from an activity level (at least to me!), but the cramps and other pain is. :doh:

Trudijane

Country
I share your sentiments about the way you are feeling.
For awhile, it seemed as if I was able to forget that I even got a new hip, but lately, I have noticed a a few problems and it is hard to pinpoint or describe what I feel - but I'll try,

I'm going on 6 months now, and while I no longer have what you would call 'pain' I definitely feel that my gait may be wrong or maybe one side is higher than the other? This is guesswork.

When I walk, I get this pulling sensation on the top of my hip in the front (the groin area?)- don't know what is is, but it feels like a tendon or muscle. Along with this, my back gets very very stiff to the point both which lead to a feeling of tiredness when I want to continue walking. Then I start wondering if I'm walking correctly given that I have a new hip.

I have scheduled another appointment with Physical Therapy with the hope that maybe some exercises are appropriate for what I feel - I wish I knew but again I ask myself

Will it ever end...so I know what you are feeling.

Krista

post-grad
Country
Oh, I'm sorry, @Marvy, it's just one thing after the other for you! The cramping is soft tissue-related, but that sharp "pain", that can radiate with too much movement too quickly, may not be. A good orthopedist who knows about soft tissue problems (not just bones) may be able to advise you. I wish you could just "live" instead of always having these conundrums to try to figure out.

Ian C

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I had the same after my second hip replacement I had one leg 20mm longer until I got revision surgery on my first one less than 2 years after the first one , 2 years later still in a lot of pain due to scar tissue etc

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
allylaw25
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom