Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR Complex surgery with revisions, infection, sepsis, and more…

For someone who's been through the ringer today and is pumped full of morphine, you sure wrote one heck of a coherent update, @danelady ! You sound good. This latest theory behind the dislocations sounds plausible, though I wonder why they didn't spot the misalignment in x-rays right away! Keep us posted as their thinking proceeds. I'm sure keeping my fingers crossed.

Sleep well!!! :flwrysmile:
 
Oh no! Hospital for Special Surgery NYC also has remote online opinion but I believe this is $500. However the financial aid dept may also help. The folks running the show there are truly a different breed in terms of decent manners, not to mention expertise.
 
I believe HHS has raised their fees for consultations now, so it's more than that. But I'm not sure of the exact cost.
 
@danelady just popped on to the forum and came to your post to see how you were. Oh my goodness, I'm seriously at a loss for words but am happy they at least have you back in place for now. Hopefully you can work with Jamie and at least get a consult with Dr Chow and get some definitive answers with a way to go to end all this. Continuing to keep you in my thoughts and prayers, sending good mojo and huge cyber hugs! :friends: :angel:
 
@lanstan Hi there. A dislocation always sets me back again. The fracture was coming along nicely and I was finally able to raise my leg up on my own so I could rebuild my muscles and tendons but I now have to work my way back again. I'm tired of it all and it's not even the non stop pain that sucked all the life out of me. It's feeling like I'm in my way to recovery, like the last surgery worked and I will finally be independent and have a life again but suddenly getting it pulled out from underneath me like a rug and being back to square one that has me living in fear now.

Even my surgeon has given up and admitted he doesn't know what else to do. Even though I only dislocate while I'm sitting he ordered a knee brace for when I'm walking. He also said if it happens again he will ask the other, more experienced surgeon, who I was referred to first, to take me on. Wait a minute....that surgeon passed me off to my current one. I didn't read the consent form I signed till months later but I gave that other surgeon permission to choose another surgeon to work on me. So have I just been used as a practice dummy?

Supposedly my leg was made longer in this last surgery. Could that be why it feels like the femoral head is sliding around in there because that's exactly how it feels and it feels ready to slide right out of the socket. My dr is gone for the week but I see him as soon as he gets back.

My friends are always ready to help me, of course, but I can't even say we're friends now. We don't do anything together anymore like we used to and I just feel like a burden to them now.

I guess my call to Medicare about my shoddy treatment on my previous visit to the ER had results. The only people who cared for me this time were older people or ones that already knew me from before and were decent.

So I stay prepared for another trip to the ER, but these open reductions are draining the life out of me. I've never seen so many drs in my nearly 70 years of existence. I mean, I didn't get to have ANY fun after I retired but my savings have been seriously depleted none the less. A week and a half in ICU was never on my agenda. I'm not even going to bother contacting any other dr. I couldn't get any local ones to even give me a second opinion after one failed revision, I seriously doubt anyone will come near me after SEVEN surgeries.

Call it bad luck, call it whatever....
At least I'll break the hospital record for the most dislocations.
Xoxo
 
I admire your strength, @danelady. I can only imagine how worn out, frustrated, frightened, and angry you have to feel. Anyone would. What you're going through is horrific. I'm hoping @Jamie and the others more knowledgeable than I can put you in contact with agencies or doctors that can help. Surely there are others who have had multiple dislocations. We just need somehow to find an orthopedist who specializes in that.

We all love you, danelady, and would do anything to help you. I wish I wasn't so ignorant about how I might! XXX
 
My heart breaks for you. I wish I had an answer for you. I am hoping the knee brace helps to prevent more dislocations.You are very strong but even strong people can be beaten down so much. I am glad you have us here to help you get back to your previous happy self!
 
I'm not even going to bother contacting any other dr.
I surely hope you don't settle for the status quo. For whatever reason, it's not working.
You can't go on like this, danelady. This is heartbreaking.
I really don't favor this emoji, but it sadly reminds me of your situation :climb:
Please don't give up on getting this right, you can have a better life.
Sending love and hugs :console2:
 
I agree with Layla, @danelady. Right now I'm sure you are really frustrated and tired of it all. You need to give yourself some time and try to heal a bit and get stronger. But at some point, I hope you get back to me and let me try and help you get to Jimmy Chow. He will be a different experience than you've had so far, I can promise that!
 
I'm sending you a pm, I too dislocated while sitting and since had a revision. What people don't understand here, is once you go over to the restraint device if you dislocate they can't do a closed reduction, it's a whole 'nuther open you up surgery. My heart breaks for you @danelady

ALSO stay in the knee immobilizer all the time! I wore one for 9 weeks, in bed, in the shower, only took it off the last two weeks while I was driving.
 
Last edited:
Good morning @danelady I am so sorry to read the latest here on your thread. You are a strong woman, and I admire your fortitude and sense of humor.
You mention your friends that are helping. Of course they are still your friends. You would do as much or even more, it they needed help. Friendship isn't just for the good times, right?

I hope you can get in to see Dr Chow for a consult. Surely something can be worked out, or at least he could give you a good referral?

((hugs)) and prayers for you!!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom