Revision THR Complex surgery with revisions, infection, sepsis, and more…

You are all so wonderful. Thank you.
The photo is from my original hip replacement back in 2017. I woke up from surgery doing a John Travolta impersonation. [Bonesmart.org] Complex surgery with revisions, infection, sepsis, and more… Everything was great....then 5 years later the disco dancing stopped and I wonder if it will ever start again.
 
No Layla. Thank YOU!!! You and Merrimay brought me out of my doldrums....
I'll just wait till Thursday and see what happens. Until then I'll just move
reeeaaal slow, lol.
 
I think my leg might be broke, can't get around at all....even with the walker. I'm afraid I have to dig out the wheelchair again.
I might not wait till Thursday, think I'll go to the ER tomorrow. I won't even mention the pain.
 
Wait, wait, wait...how will you get there? Do you have a friend or neighbor to help you, or are you opposed to calling 911 if you're in great pain? This is worrisome, danelady.
 
What happened? Did you fall? Why do you need to wait until tomorrow to get help? Please call your son or a friend if you're reluctant to call 911. I'm worried for you!
 
I had to get to the front door to let the dog in for the night. Then I HAD to make it to the toilet. It takes me about 10 minutes to do 6" so that's why I figgered get to the toilet, lol.

Oh bless you guys.❤️‍
When I got home from the last surgery I stayed in bed...except for bathroom and coffee while I let Val out in the morning, so I hardly moved. Yesterday was so warm so I simply stood outside the front door on top of the ramp. I parked my butt up against the bannister for a while, talking to my neighbor like I always did, but I never went down the ramp. I can barely get from my room to the front door, I can't do ANYTHING anymore. Anyway, I guess I was out of bed longer than usual and now it feels like it did when my implant broke thru my pelvis. I think it's worse because at, least I could still drag myself around on the walker without screaming.

Don't worry, I won't drive myself.....I tried to find the strongest painpill I had laying around so I'm down. I'll call the neighbor. But truthfully, I'm feeling like I could go to sleep right now and that's a very good thing.

The sharpest pain, the white hot pain, is right up in my groin, at the top of my femur and any movement, any twitch at all brings it on. This is worse than anything I've felt before with this hip.

I'm dreading standing and making my way back to bed.....
 
Take your prescribed meds and ice the area non stop, if you're able to tolerate doing so. Do you have a smaller cooler you can keep bedside with an extra ice pack so you don't have to travel too far during the night when you need a fresh one? I hope you get some sleep tonight and the pain eases substantially by morning.
@danelady
 
Thanks Layla, I have just the perfect thing to ice it down with. I hope it does ease up by morning.
I was just reading his operative report (anything to keep from standing up). He whacks the old femoral component with a hammer, checking afterwards if anything broke. I guess an x-ray will let us know. Time to stand.....Oy
 
I agree, @danelady.....call 911 and get to the hospital to have things checked out. You should not be in this much pain. Don't risk any additional damage by trying to be brave and waiting. Hopefully your neighbor can take care of your puppy if you have to go quickly. I'm so sorry this is happening to you. After seeing your dancing in action in that photo, I'm eager to join you in the virtual disco club real soon!
 
@danelady.....did your surgeon give you any guidance about weight bearing on your operated hip? It sounds like you may be trying to walk on it when maybe you should be partial or non weight bearing. This is just a thought....

But....use the wheelchair if you need it. It's better than clenching your teeth in pain.
 
@Jamie
Hey lady! You know we're gonna do it, dancin' on table tops cause we can, lol.

Jamie, I've been reading several members posts who had to stay off their leg for weeks! Am I just healing and need to give it more time? But I don't really think so, when I told him I couldn't put any weight on it he made a sort of ''Hmmm' sound. And like you said, I sure don't want to cause more damage.
I'll get to the ER in the morning, I won't make it to Thursday. Anyway, Tuesday is my ortho's surgery day there. I might see him after all, lol
 
@Jamie
My dr never said anything about not walking yet and seemed surprised when I said it was painful. He DID tell PT and OT that I wasn't to do any PT.

I need to finish reading the operative reports about this last surgery, maybe I'll find a clue in there.

Oh, today I got the medical records of my stint in ICU, definitely a horror story worthy of Vincent Price and Boris Kaloff. I think one night I even saw them creeping down the hall, lol
 
I am not sure I am reading this right. Were you able to talk on the phone with your surgeon? Is the pain subsiding gradually? And yea-medical records are a trip- just got mine from last year!
 
Oh no, so sorry to hear you are headed back to the hospital:sorry:
Honestly, I wonder if you might want to just call an ambulance? That will get you there safely and they can take you straight back so no wait.
Please let us know what you find out...
 
Ok, the ambulance just brought me to the ER, can't wait to find out what's wrong this time.
 
I'm glad you decided to go. It's better to know what's going on than to just stay home hurting and disabled. I look forward to your next update. I frankly can't imagine what has occurred to result in this much pain for you.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom