Guest viewing is limited

MUA Completed

I went to physio today and had a happy post MUA reunion with my lovely lady we discovered just 4 days out I was up 30 plus degrees and hit 89 degrees. She felt that I should get over 100 easily over time and may get to 120 eventually. She worked hard on my hamstring which was tight and I had a lovely massage and stretch. So happy to be moving forward.

Anyway the big dadah moment today which I can't quite believe is that I walked upstairs one foot after the other for the first time in ten years. OMG I kind of did it without thinking and am sitting here stunned and a little tearful to be honest.

Will keep icing and stretching all hail to the mantra.

Keep believing in the impossible everyone!
 
It's great you were up to get up the steps! You will find yourself doing more without thinking about it. There will be more firsts on your trip to full recovery.
 
Well done you it's a great feeling when you can do the stairs


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well that's how it should be done, when you aren't even expecting it! :yay:
 
I am enjoying my new "toy" of being able to walk up and now down stairs!

A general question but why do ones quads and hamstrings hurt after knee replacement surgery? I did loads of exercises beforehand, is there something that happens during surgery that affects them rather than lack of use??
 
Hello I've had problems with my hamstrings post surgery and physio used acupuncture after other treatments such as massage couldn't quite do the job. It was brilliant everything felt looser and easier and my gait improved.
 
Hi all now two and a half weeks post MUA things had been gradually improving. For the first ten days my bend gradually improved but slowly a degree at a time. The joint is still a little hot and swollen but am icing and elevating. The hamstring problem has I think restricted the improvement in the bend so last week and today the physio used acupuncture and hurray a five degree improvement this week and am now at 95. The surgeon said he got a 110 bend under anaesthetic but that's way better then the 60 zone I was in. 110 is the goal and I think one that will give me a good quality of life. Not the 135 of some but we are all individuals! I feel much more positive that gentle exercise and stretching is working for me this time round. He said the adhesions were well and truly stuck.

If all goes well in the next three months he will schedule the other knee for the Autumn hurray.

Has anyone else got this level of bend and living happily with it?

Good news is I feel well enough to book a summer holiday not long haul but a couple of hours to Europe. And I felt well enough to go out to dinner instead of lunch. Progress indeed.
 
Way to go @Angiebaby - excited for your steps to improvements. I'm curious about the acupuncture. Haven't seen that mentioned before as something that will help with flexion. I'm 8 weeks out and at 95, Hoping I'll make it to 110. How wonderful to have the vacation to think about. All the best.
 
Ha Angiebabe, delighted that you are doing the stairs normally- I'm 20 days behind you so hopefully within nxt three weeks I'll be able to manage them too! Tried a couple of days ago but only managed three going up as too painful and haven't even considered going down the stairs normally! The muscles get sliced open during surgery then get all stitched back together and that's what temp weakens them
 
A month after my TKR an infection reared its ugly head, I had a second surgery and NO bending for a month. I was in an imbolizer brace. After a month my OS prescribed non-aggressive PT, basically 2in heel slides. A few weeks after that I began PT with a goal of 90 degrees that my OS was hoping for. I had 109 when I left PT and it's even more now when I realized 18 months later I could squat in a pool! So although 110 is your goal, don't be surprised if you get more than that months down the line.
 
I am so glad you're feeling better! I've never tried acupuncture, but heard good things about it and you'll living proof!
 
I don't think it's a good idea to have acupuncture early in your recovery. Every time a needle pierces your skin, you run the risk of introducing infection from the bacteria on your skin.
 
Well I'm not sure how early is too early? The quality of the sterile nature of the needles used and the pre cleaning/sterilisation of the skin area used is very high but I guess with any puncture there is a risk of some sort? But much less than say shaving your legs for example. But I agree it's not something I would have used very early on. For me working with a very specialist knee hospital team I'm happy that I trust the quality of their treatment and their judgement in this situation and it has worked.
 
I'm glad it worked for you. My post was just a general sort of warning.
 
Celle it's well said! there is no way I would have considered it outside of the hospital team. There are a lot of 'so called practitioners' out there in beauty parlours etc which in these circumstances I wouldn't have touched with a barge pole as they say over here - so you are right to advise and clarify the point. Many thanks.
 
Very excited today - I reached 100 ROM! The physio has dismissed me with the option of 3 months at a gym - comes free as part of my package but is a bit far from where I live.

So happy with my progress after the MUA less than a month ago. I was out walking with friends this weekend and felt normal. A big thumbs up to my physio who has a modern approach of gentle stretching massage and acupuncture which has worked wonders.

Meanwhile for those who are developing adhesions and reducing ROM like I had - down to 60 in 7 weeks after TKR - don't dread it, get a good surgeon. It really isn't a difficult procedure and the results can be wonderful. There is hope guys.
 
When I was released from PT I was at 109 and pedaling a bike with no problem. As the months went by my ROM continued and I was able to squat in a pool. Just a few months ago a new PA at my ortho group commented on how flexible my TKR is after all the complications I had.
 
You know I think we are all rather wonderful to go through this major surgery all its ups and downs the pain the bad nights and the highs and the laughs.

We are TKR ers we totally kick rehab!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom