Guest viewing is limited

MUA Completed

I came to NZ back in 1968, as a nurse on a 2-year contract. I lost my heart to the country and to a New Zealander. I married him and I have lived here ever since. I love the country.

We do try to go back to England most years, as our daughter has done the reverse of what I did. She has married an Englishman and has settled in England now.
 
Good luck with your MUA I'm a week ahead of you and my bend is still only 80 it's so disappointing. Can I ask you do you still use crutches or a cane? I'm really struggling to walk without them when I had my first knee done I didn't need them after 6 weeks but not this one.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hiya poor you I do sympathise. You feel like you do everything right and there are still problems. This is my first replacement so have nothing to compare it with. I use a cane outside of the home I live in the countryside so things are a bit muddy or slippery in the wet and it's necessary for distance but indoors I'm fine without. My extension is great I can lie my leg completely flat and my walking is great just a bend that is reducing by the day.I'm told that great extension is most important for good walking? Bend is for stairs life etc!

The surgeon says it's not my fault I've done nothing wrong I'm just one of the small percentage it happens to. I still feel guilty though as though I should have tried harder somehow. I find myself talking to my poor old knee I think I'm going bonkers! Lol! I just want to get a date and move on but am scared in case it hurts.
 
You are anaethesisized during the procedure. From what I read you might be a little sore later. The fear is worse than the act.
 
Thanks all

Celle I have a provisional date for two weeks today the 24th March

Is it worth keeping on doing my stretches in the meantime?
 
I think it's worth while to do a couple of stretches each day, but not a lot. Remember not to do anything that hurts.

If you let me know when the 24th March is confirmed, I'll ask to have your MUA and its date added to your signature.
 
The surgeon says it's not my fault I've done nothing wrong I'm just one of the small percentage it happens to. I still feel guilty though as though I should have tried harder somehow.
Your doctor is correct, so don't beat yourself up. Wishing you the best with your MUA.
 
Could someone please change my heading to MUA completed thank You!

I had this done yesterday March 24th and am so unbelievably pleased with the result so far. I had a general anaesthetic and it was all over very quickly and had a nice photo of a great bend. I was in pain in recovery an 8 but a dose of oromorph sorted that out - it tastes like Calpol! Then back to my room lots of cryotherapy and discharged three hours later. I have codeine paracetamol and ibuprofen for home. I found it strange walking out of hospital as my knee no longer felt like a block of cement and there was so much more swing in my gait so I had to adjust to the change in mobility with a walking stick.

The surgeon said it was well and truly stuck and there was no way I could have improved the bend without the procedure. ( or as the anaesthetist described if Mr G doing his thing that you don't want to see!)He said it really shouldn't be too painful post op I thought that was just surgeon speak but he was right. I have a couple of intensive physio appointments booked for next week meanwhile I have been doing some gentle stretching and 0 resistance pedalling for short periods. I feel so motivated to maintain and improve on this.it was dispiriting before trying so hard to work a stuck knee. I hope to goodness the scar tissue doesn't reform and I can slowly build up to be a super bender!!

My hubs was so worried he can't stop smiling that I'm not incapacitated and am happy and just a little sore and not in pain. This afternoon I'm back to walking around the house without a stick. His only complaint is one more week of putting the stockings on me everyday.. I say he's a lucky man!

Jack in Adelaide I know you were having your procedure yesterday too I do hope it was a success and you are comfortable.
 
After an MUA it's best to take it easy, not to do aggressive or painful PT, just easy stretches and
ADLs. I'm glad you've got some relief now, just don't over do it and cause the soft tissue to swell.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Completed
per your request.
 
I'm so pleased it all went well I was thinking about you yesterday I'm still struggling ROM still at 80 at 11 weeks I don't see my OS till the end of April I feel really deflated at the moment. So glad your on the right road to recovery.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Angiebabe I'm happy that you are feeling so much better in your gait and ability to get around without aid. That calls for a great big Yippee!! Continued healing. :egypdance:
 
So pleased it all went well for you hun
I'm struggling after my mua but I'll hopefully get there eventually.
take care and go gently
 
Boxer lover don't give up there are options. I was worried about having an MUA as I've read a lot of varying accounts both good and bad and I wonder if people write more of negative experiences in general? But so far so good. I am surprised how much more positive I'm feeling so far -I'm well aware it's early days but it made me realise that before I was feeling not so much downhearted but had feelings of low expectations and compromise after the TKR i.e. Less pain but stiffness and limited mobility due to lack of bend and that feeling of compromise that the constant pain and limitations that osteoarthritis gives you were not going to improve. So chin up chicken as we say it's not all down to you it's the surgeons duty to help. Can you get an earlier appointment ?

Jack 27 thank you for your good wishes I do hope everyday is a little less painful and you make progress. We all heal differently. I hope we both get a good outcome and in a few months time are happy bunnies.
 
So happy for you that it all went well. I am going to try and bring my appointment forward seem to have hit a brick wall at the moment. When I had my other knee done I was off crutches at 7 weeks I just feel I'm never going to walk normal again with this one.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The bruising on my skin has come out today I guess it was where it was handled and forced. But I'm icing and gently stretching today. I felt a bit strange yesterday I don't know if it was the GA or I was overmedicated or a reaction to the MUA but so sleepy during the day. I have slightly reduced the codeine today and feel a lot more perky but still want to keep the pain at bay. Ha ha I'm obviously a finely tuned bit of machinery! Or maybe the lovely sunny day helps.
 
I'm glad you're feeling a bit better today. Keep up the gentle treatment of your knee.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom