TKR Coming up on 5 months post TKR ~ still with pain when WB

Back from hydro and I did lots of exercise in the half hr I was there, but each one was gentle stretching and of course because in lovely warm pool it was non weight bearing. However as soon as I got home I put knee on ice and elevated, and guess likely to be in this position for the next hr few hrs except tea breaks. Thankfully no homework yet, and to be honest if she had told me to do something, I probably would have ignored her. Next week is last hydro session then my first 'proper' PT session dryside will not be until 7th June, so no chance of pushing my baby joint or even measuring its ROM until then.
 
oh dear, I am trying to follow my surgeon and PT' orders but I did notice it goes against your philosophy ......I think I will tone it down and just stick to heel slides and gentle stretching. I am not going to force anything. Nature does not rush anything.......thanks for your input.:thankyou:
 
Be careful to not overdo. Sometimes PT can get carried away and end up causing a set back. You should stay in control and not let them push or pull your knee. My PT at the hospital was sneaky and tried to push my foot with her foot and I strongly told her, "No!", and she stopped. You have that right, too. You can't force your knee to heal any faster by exercising, but you can sure set it back. If you follow the BoneSmart guidelines you'll have a much less painful recovery! Trust all of us who have been through what you are going through! Experience knows!

Your knee is damaged requiring healing, not unfit needing training. Bending past the point of pain is not helping your recovery but compounding the damage done by the surgery. Your knee needs GENTLE stretches only, without pain. Taking painkillers before PT allows more harm to be done.
 
12 days out and my whole leg feels like it's on a giant rubber band being stretched vertically and then a tight vise like grip around knee. It's a beautiful blue green day here in NH, so I am outside on the deck getting some fresh air. In a recliner with leg elevated after some gentle stretching and a walk downstairs from the bedroom. I am not sure what the pain should feel like at this point? I am also have a lot of little shocks or twitches in my leg.....and a pulling along the stitches. The bruising from the tourniquet has subsided. Any newbies out there that can explain what kind of pain they are experiencing would be greatly appreciated. Onward and upward.
 
My thigh muscle ache has eased off as I have been putting a heat pad on it when icing my knee...double benefit of relaxing the muscle and preventing the shivers I get when icing. The thigh had felt like I had pulled a muscle...tender to touch and sore when walking. I think it may have been caused by the drain they put in during the operation, as it ran from the drain site up the thigh. Over the last 3-4 days I have also been getting the 'zinger's across the knee which are short sharp spasms or acute stabbing like pains, nothing much helps those fade, but they come and go without rhyme or reason. My calf muscle is also tight most of the time, so I have been using a message cushion on them when elevating the leg which seems to help.

When I had the PKR last year I had the permanent tight band around the leg almost until month 9 when other problems caused worse pain/discomfort and it seemed to fade. This time round no clinging monkey on my knee, just a tightness where the staples and dressing are...the staples come out for me tomorrow...yay.
 
@lopat and @RAD I had my followup with OS today. Everything looks good as far as the healing goes. I am actually a little ahead of where I should be, given the prior trauma to my knee (from an unleashed dog attack)

That being said, I still cried all the way home. He simply stated I have a long way of strengthening, bending and rehab ahead of me and that it would be another 12 to 18 months before I didn't think about my knee. I think that confirmation is what did me in.

There will be days when it aches, swells, feels warm and stiff for a long time. He dispenses pain meds for 3 months but feels by then I will be at a much more manageable stage and will need them less and less as times goes on.

Anyway, that 12-18 months healing time seems to align very well with the BoneSmart philosophy. Got home from appointment and took a 2½ hour nap to celebrate. HA!

Oh well, yes positive mind, positive healing but doesn't mean we will not feel sad, low and isolated at times.

BTW @lopat are you from Cincinnati? I love that city.
 
I sounds like you’re doing terrific! I totally understand why you cried going home. This is a rough, random recovery and contemplating being just one month into 12 to 18 month recovery is daunting. It is a little isolating, as supportive as others who haven’t been through this can be. I think it’s because your knee and how it’s going to be in any given situation is always somewhere in the back of your mind. It’s great to have this forum to share our thoughts with those who truly are able to empathize! BTW, although I live in NYC I was born in Cincinnati!
 
@fenway09 , I've moved your update post from lopat's thread to your own thread.

I see you haven't been updating your progress on your own thread much lately. Please try to remember to do that, and not to post in detail about your recovery on someone else's thread.
 
Hiya,

It sounds like a long time but everyday you will hopefully be improving and perhaps most of the gains come very quickly tapering off over the last period until full recovery is achieved... At least that is how I am looking at it.

Good luck.
 
Thank you for clarifying Celle! I wasn’t exactly sure how I did that? Probably just need to read the directions
 
Yes. I fell into the same trap too. Did way too much. Now doing lots of elevated rest, icing and a few walks and heel slides and new baby knee (called Katy 5 June) is happier. How has your incision healed?. I am still getting a tiny yellowbrown spot coming through the dressing.
 
Thanks for asking TKR peeps. I must admit I am a little low, maybe some post op blues going on. With my injury over a year ago and now this new surgery it just seems like an endless process. I am doing well at PT and leave feeling hopeful but honestly by the end of every day, I can barely walk again because my leg is so sore and stiff. I have been having a lot of numbness over the TPF scar and shinbone too. I just wonder when I will be able to be normal again. I have tried to spread out my " asking for help" over many friends, so as not to wear any one person or my husband out. My best friend of 60 years passed a few months ago and she was here a lot last summer helping me, so I am feeling the grief from losing her too. I know, that too shall pass. Hope everyone has a good nights rest tonight! Peace.
 
I’m so sorry about losing your friend. That is a lot added onto the post op blues that this surgery gives us. :console2:
but honestly by the end of every day, I can barely walk again because my leg is so sore and stiff.
This means you are doing way too much activity. 5 weeks is very early days in this year long recovery. I’m going to ask @Josephine to come talk to you.
 
@fenway09 I’m so sorry about your best friend. That is really tough. I wish you an excellent recovery and happier days to come.

BTW, I’m still having a lot of hypersensitivity and numbness as well. My understanding is that it will pass with time. It’s already improved, but there’s a long way to go. I guess we just have to be patient and hang in there.

Rest well tonight!
 
@RAD thanks for the boost. My OS mentioned I need to get near that scar and massage it at least 3 times daily. I am such a wuss when it comes to even looking at it, never mind touching it. HA! I have been lathering up a wash cloth with soap and gently massaging it to the best of my ability. Yes, that ever elusive patience is needed! Hope your recovery is going well too!
 
  • Like
Reactions: RAD
I've been using Mederma on mine, it has good reviews for reducing scaring and it smells pleasant too. I try to massage it in first thing in the morning and last at night.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Coming up on 5 months post TKR ~ still with pain when WB
    B2065183-C2AC-4EAA-8661-9BF5C0659BE8.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
I am using bio oil on my scar and diprobase with lavender essential oil for the rest of my knee and thigh area.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom