TKR Coming up on 5 months post TKR ~ still with pain when WB

Hi @fenway09
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread.
For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
I am still in PT and have excellent ROM ( 125-130) and I am at zero extension. However, I still have some pain when weight bearing and a very tight and numbing band feeling just below the knee. I have been focusing on quad strengthening and IT band exercises. Also, the knee itself is still very sensitive and tender
At 5 months post-op, with excellent ROM, you no longer need PT.
Previously, when you complained of pain on walking, Josephine advised you to cut back on your exercises. Now, I think you should stop them altogether and let your knee calm down.

Your knee tissues were inflamed and irritated before by doing too much exercise and I think that continuing to go to PT is continuing to keep them inflamed.

You don't need to do quad exercises and IT band exercises any more. Your quads will strengthen naturally, with continued use in your normal daily activities. If you continue, you risk developing chronic inflammation.

The tight band feeling is very common. It can linger for many months, but it will fade gradually.
 
My PT has not discharged me because she feels I’m only at 70 percent. I am going once every two weeks and honestly haven’t been doing my exercises at home anyway because of the warmth and pain. I felt just daily living and walking and doing stairs when I can is enough. Thanks for your thoughts.
 
This recovery takes an average of a full year. To be 70% recovered at less than halfway through is pretty good! I wasn’t anywhere near that at 5 months, and my PT discharged me at 8 weeks.

Your knee still has healing to do. Where you are now is not where you will end up.
 
Your instincts are correct. You don't need to feel guilty about stopping therapy when it really is not benefiting you. You only see the therapist once every 2 weeks anyway. It sounds as though you have home exercises you could do when you're ready. In the meantime, I suggest you listen to your surgeon and realize that it's going to be a year or more before you feel more "normal" again.

During the coming months, since you are having some pain on standing or walking, try not to overdo your daily activities either until the pain subsides. It's good you're icing and you could take something for the pain - like 1000mg of Tylenol every 6 hours - to see if that helps.

You only had your surgery in May plus you had the fracture. I think you're doing just fine.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom