BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Coming along<<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Elad1002, Jan 5, 2019.

1. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    I had a broken ankle and foot during my recovery. It happened just short of my knee mark and on the same foot as the tkr. My knee reacted badly because I couldn't walk on that foot at all. My knee wanted to walk, but I couldn't. Of course, it didn't help that I fell directly on the knee itself, too! I was icing foot, ankle and knee for weeks! Once I got back to walking some, the knee recovered some, though it's still not as good as it was before my fall. Once you get walking correctly from your broken foot, your knee will recover nicely.

2. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

@sistersinhim
    Sorry that happened to you. I have heard of so many people falling after TKR, makes me want to buy knee pads. Wonder if it's due to an altered gait, weaker quads or just life.
    I had a PT session yesterday where I am working on my gait.
    I have a steel insert in the shoe of the foot that is broken. It's the 5th metatarsal bone so I could still walk, though awkwardly. The PT helped me with my balance and gait, and also helped me to realize that since I had been limping so much due to that bone on bone pain before sugery, it had become habit. So now when the knee is sore, I stiffen up the leg and hyperextend the knee. It's a knee-jerk reaction, no pun intended. So my goal.is to learn how to walk properly again.
    So I spent the rest of the day, standing erect and walking properly broken foot and all. It is difficult with the broken foot because I'm walking flat footed with the insert, but I am.modifying to the best of my ability. My plan is to continue this effort today and going forward.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  3. sistersinhim

Before my tkr I always watched my feet when I walked. Afterwards, I had finally gotten secure enough to walk with my head up. Well, then I stepped in a hole, rolled my foot inward and that's when the breaks occurred. Guess what??! I watch where I put my feet again! I don't want anymore falls!

Amazon sells a shoe for a broken foot bone. If you need more than the steel insert, check them out. I wore mine for a month or so. I even rode my bike with it on. I was thrilled to be able to do that again.

4. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

In my case it could be because I had both knees replaced, but I've had this discussion with quite a few members. The first months to a year or so after my TKR, I noticed my balance was... off. Not bad. I was perfectly stable on my new knees, but some things just threw me off.

At first, the first months, I found myself shuffling sometimes, falling back into the old knee-sparing, limp-balancing habit of how I walked before surgery. One reason that happened was because I WAS afraid of falling. So I walked protectively. I worked on getting rid of that "protective" gait and that got normal.

I also noticed that if I looked around when I walked, I would wobble if I looked to the side (or anything not straight ahead) for very long, and especially if I looked back over my shoulder. Wobble. A wobble can easily turn into a fall. I worried about if I would always be wobbly, but... you got it, I worked on that. I made a point of looking to the side on occasion, or behind me, just to train my brain to be used to it.

Falls are never good. Most of us are older and have knee replacements, and that's a caution-inducing combo. But I've found that as I continue past recovery -- I'm twenty months post-op now -- I've gotten better and better on these new knees. Yes, the muscles get stronger again. The brain relearns balance and adjusts to a new, better gait. I bike. I walk on snow and even ice without fear of falling (got my good Wisconsin winter legs back!) and now only fear wet floors. I fell once (pre-bad knees) on a wet floor. There will always be fear of wet floors.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  5. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

@SusieShoes
    Well that's good to know, my goal.is to hike (eventually) and not fall. I am going to focus on improving my balance and gait. The quad strength will have to improve naturally as I walk and use my exercise bike. I'm still using a cane when I go out because the broken foot is throwing me off balance, so I need to be extra careful out there.. I'm able to walk around the house without any aides.

• Like Like x 1
  6. sistersinhim

I'm back to hiking, but still find going down a steep hill scary and will go down sideways. I had to go down backwards for over 25 years, so going down sideways is an improvement! You will get there and be able to go down normally, I'm sure!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

@sistersinhim
    Thank you, glad you are hiking, something for me to look forward to. I have to lose 25 lbs, and my weightloss has stagnated due to inactivity. Also I know that my knee joint, which I allowed the surgeon to pick out is a mixture of metal alloys. I'm reading where some people react rather negativily to the metals, so something new to freak out about. Do you have any experience with this? Should I be concerned? I know they are supposed to be inert. I worry so much about everything since this surgery, I didn't prepare enough.

8. NavyGunns

NavyGunns FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@Elad1002, as simple as this may seem, I personally believe you need to relax and quit worrying so much. Unless you are showing symptoms of metals allergy, worrying does nothing but create anxiety which detracts from your ability to focus on healing. Check out the articles on metal allergy in the library (here is one: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/metal-allergies-and-knee-replacements.3988/).

Your focus needs to be on healing and working to improve your functional activities each day.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. grandma chris

grandma chris graduate

Canada Canada
    @Elad1002 I have to say I agree with NavyGunns. Until you broke your foot, you were having a good recovery. That break was very unfortunate but I think most of the stuff that's happening now probably is due to having both legs in a less than perfect state - no wonder you are having balance and gait issues!! I think the fact that you can walk around the house without aides is a great sign. Good luck my dear.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. sistersinhim

I agree with the others, quit looking for trouble where there is none. Stress slows down recovery. You don't want to be doing that. A metal allergy is very rare. Your knee is healing very well. Once that foot is healed, there'll be no stopping you! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

@sistersinhim
    @grams christ
    @NavyGunns
    You have no idea how much your posts mean to me. I've been sitting in a dark house in the cold weather over thinking. I decided to go practice my gait training at BJ's, with a cart. I'm sitting here now at the Dunkin Donuts with foot up, maybe overdid it a bit...but mentally feel so.much better. Thank you for your support, so tired of worrying about things that likely wont come to pass.
    Happy tears.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:console2::console2:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. sistersinhim

It's good that you got out today. I change of scenery is always a mood lifter!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

Just wondering if anyone has used thigh high compression stockings with success? If so, what type did you use, brand name, etc. I noticed that I have some new varicose veins in my non-surgical leg, thought compression stockings might help with swelling in both legs.

15. ebungalow

ebungalow member

@Elad1002

I regularly wear a thigh high, open-toed compression stocking and really like it. It helps a lot with swelling.

I bought the stockings on Amazon. Search for Jobst Relief 20-30 Thigh High Open Toe Beige Compression stockings to see the description.

These are much more comfortable than the white TEDS if the correct size is purchased.

The elastic at the top of the stocking is wide and isn’t uncomfortable - I also don’t think they’re too hard to put on. I pull the entire stocking onto my ankle (all scrunched up around the ankle) until the heel is is place, and then pull the rest of the stocking up, working from the bottom.

Sorry if this is too much information - I’m an enthusiast because they’ve helped so much :)

16. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

@ebungalow
    Thanks. I will look them up, it helps to get a recommendation. I assume you have to measure your leg for them. Because my legs are a little chubby, the knee thighs leave a crease below my knee which is not comfortable. I have swelling around my kneecap and I'm going back to work in a few weeks, thought these might help me to stay on my feet. Not too much info for me, thanks.

17. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

@ebungalow
    I went to the Jobst website and saw that they also have tights. I am a tights wearer and am considering trying a pair as well. Have you tried Jobst tights?

18. ebungalow

ebungalow member

@Elad1002

The Jobst tights might work really well for you! I don’t wear tights, so I’ve never tried them.

Hope you find something you like! Keep me posted if you feel like it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. PJohnson

PJohnson new member

Canada Canada
    Hi there: My TKR was Jan 15 2019. I am running into many of the same problems. PT and surgeon both push my knee to severe pain and tell me I have 80 deg of mobility. My knee hurts beyond 60 deg. My knee swells badly, within 30 minutes of getting up. This forum is very helpful. I was beginning to feel like such a failure. Please keep posting.

20. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@PJohnson Hi and Welcome to Bonesmart! It would be great if you would start a Recovery thread so we can get to know you better.

If you need help starting a thread just let us know.