Class of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Knee Members

Status
Not open for further replies.
@jerseychick What is your ROM now? You said it was limited. Did you have more then lost it, or just never got beyond 'limited?'
 
I am about 135 deg. My heel comes to within 6" of my butt. I can do bow posture in yoga after some difficulty reaching back for my ankle. I can do dancer also, but still have to work hard to grab my ankle. I can not do any postures that require sitting back on my heels.
As so many postures require this, I work very hard every day, but seem to have hit a brick wall.
The device literature says it moves 155 deg. So I was wondering how many folks get that full range.
I think a living knee actually shifts forward just a smidge at about 130 deg allowing further range without so much stretching of ligaments. I do not see any similar system in the replacement device. I do not know if that may be why I can not get the full motion that the device is designed for.
 
@jsykas I have never found anyone in nearly 3 years who achieved 155. One person on Bonesmart that I read recently was 145. My pt says that 120 is pretty average but I did get to 135 with my original TKR knee, before I started losing ROM. RIGHT now I am just waiting till I can pedal a bike again, I'd love to have your 135 again, I'm working on it. Just 4 weeks post op today.
 
I wish you the best at getting back ROM. Four weeks is real work in pain time.
I wonder why they advertise these things as 155 deg when no one can achieve that?
 
Is anyone able to touch their heel to their butt? I am still not able too. Still six inches away.

Yes, I am especially when I do an "accidental manipulation without anatesia! Otherwise I am about 135 and getting better all the time! When I do the rowing machine, my feet touch my butt! I should recommend that to people who want to avoid an MUA! :rotfl:
 
@RunA42K Bonnie, I worked on ROM and then got to about 100-105 and stayed there. It doesn't bother me at all. I can spin, rock climb, and paddle board with no problem. I had about 30 degrees for so many years that anything over 100 degrees is fine with me. I can also sit comfortably in the back seat of my husband's car. I definitely could not manage the back seat of any car before my replacement. I used to sit sideways. Now if I could just get my shoulder to be as good as my knee, second round of surgery is this Friday.
 
Hi this is my first time posting, I had left knee replacement on 12/12/13, so I am at about 3 week out from surgery. I am not sure what to expect about recovery. I still have pain, and use a cane to get around. I am only taking pain pills in the morning and one before bed (sleeping isn't to easy). At three weeks what should I be feeling, I am doing PT 3 days a week and I try to stretch the knee on the off days. I do have a lot of swelling at my last PT session I was able to get a ROM of 116, I know I need to do better than that. I want to be positive and not get discouraged, I am just wonder if at 3 week am I on tract. FJP
 
Welcome to Bonesmart. You will find lots of information in the library that will re assure you that you are doing just fine.
116 degrees at 3 weeks is ahead of most of us at this stage, no worries, tell the PT to quit pushing. The swelling acts like a splint and will not let you bend more until it goes down.
A moderator will be along and give you some important reading.
Right now you need to concentrate on the Bonesmart mantra Rest, Ice, Elevate, and Medicate on schedule.
Happy New Year!
 
frederickjohn,
Rest, ice, elevate and do gentle stretching. No hurry. You will not get the ROM while it is swollen. At 3 weeks you still need lots of rest and recovery...
Hang in there! Take those pills for now. This will not last forever, there is time to get moving and doing life after the rest and recovery.
 
Wow, I can hardly believe that it is over 20 months since my partial knee replacement. It has been a long hard road with all that has been going on in my life. And yet, I am so thankful to be in my second season of teaching snowboarding since the replacement, my 3rd season altogether. This year, unlike the last two years, I do not need to take Advil and Tylenol every few hours just to get through the day... When I am on the snow teaching something that I love and out enjoying God's creation I am so tickled, delighted and elated. Before the knee replacement I was in so much pain that I could barely walk through the grocery store.

I started out last season teaching skiing, and on New Years Day it was slow on the mountain, so I switched boots and donned my snowboard for the first time since pkr. It was just over 8 months since pkr. My 2nd son, also a snowboard instructor teased that maybe we should bring the ski patrol along for my first run on snowboard. As I headed down the slope on my snowboard I was so delighted that I pumped my fist in the air and shouted, "I'm Back!"

I am not able to touch my heel to my butt either and that makes it hard to get up on my heel side, but I flip over and hop up on toe side. I wish I could get that ROM, but am glad that I can still get out there and board and teach. I did notice on my first runs this year that I am soooooo much stronger than last year.

It is a new year and who knows where it is taking me? Well, God does, so I will seek His face and follow and see where he leads me next. Looking forward to what His plan for my life is next.
 
I can't touch heel to backside. Surgeon told me the aim is 130 but few people get that. Physio said 120. I haven't been measured for over a year but reckon about 125. When that was assessed I tried to pull it further and was urged not to force it. Surely i have to force a bit , as I did straight after op, to see an improvement? I must admit I don't do stretching as that put me off and didn't want to do any harm. Is it really worth stretching again, can it bend further?
 
New to this forum, read many posts to see how I'm recovering based on others. Help! (Right knee)
TKR 11/25/13, so I'm 5.5 weeks. Will I ever walk without a limp? One of my numbers is good, 130 back, but can't get below 5 to the straight leg. My PT is great and working gently with this 3 times a week, but I'm getting worried. I'm 62 and have many miles to go before I slow down. Also have shin pain, this is a tough surgery. New years eve in bed at 8:30!
 
My left knee (2/2013) was at 126 the last time it was checked; my right knee (9/2013) was at 131 at my last pt session at the end of October. Overall pretty pleased. My left knee was in such terrible shape I knew rom would be less for it.....

So, obviously I can't touch my butt with either of my heels......:)

Happy New Year!!!!!
 
Spiritbee51, please don't worry 5 1/2 weeks and you're doing great. At that stage I was convinced I'd never be 'normal' again. Have you started your own thread yet?
 
Had my RTKR on May 20, 2013. At six months I could finally say it felt wonderful to be able to get out of a chair without pain. Going up and down stairs have become easier and easier. I would be totally pain free if not for the left knee that needs to be replaced. At 7 months however, I am experiencing a popping and creaking noise in the knee, no pain associated with it, just weird sounds. Not to certain if this is a normal thing, or something that needs to be checked on.
 
My RTKR was December 2011 and like Nancy (@speccybecky;) I was told to expect up to 130 and I have just over 120 measured by app on my phone. And I can't get heel to butt. Extension just about zero. When I start walking up hills it it stiff across the kneecap at first but eases after a minute or two. I can walk on the flat for hours - if only the other knee could keep up!
 
Zimmer PSI high-flex knee replacement. I got the cement on one as the grow on ones were failing. I was able to go to Killington Ski Race camp 4 1/2 months after surgery. But still am a bit frustrated by the loss of flexibility that shows each day at yoga.
Due to worn meniscus, I needed this surgery.
Getting a TKR for loss of a thin strip of meniscus is extreme. Hopefully they will have good meniscus replacements soon.
 
I have come wandering over to the knee recovery section to set up this thread for past and present knee folk who may have moved on, but drop by occasionally and would like to share your recovery experiences....

Cheers. :)
Poppet, I'm a Jan 2011 alum and had both knees done at the same time. Truly a life altering surgery from constant unbearable pain and a rom of less than 40 to doing anything I want, whenever I want without a bit of pain. Of course it took grueling rehab to get to this point but it was sooooo worth it. In fact I hardly even recall anymore what I went through to get to this point. Now I'm hoping my triathlon knee replacements will last me for 30 plus years. For anyone that is waiting for some type of breakthrough new tech my advice is not to wait. I did for over 20 years and all I had was the misery of living with that God awful pain. Find a "great" knee replacement specialist and just do it. You will not regret the decision!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom