THR Clairebella’s recovery journey

Swelling is no fun. I felt like I had to really elevate my feet to see any noticeable difference. Swelling was a waiting room topic at my appointment according to my friend. It seems like we all experience it. Try to find a new movie or show to watch tonight and take it easy.
 
10 weeks post op! Also a hello to my fellow birthday hippies @Esmeralda @Hippie Chick

I’m still finding I’m in a bit of a vicious circle of 1 step forward 2 back. Or joining the ODIC far too much! It’s hard to know if I’m doing too much or too little. It’s hard to know if I’m obstructing my recovery by not doing my PT strengthening exercises and not doing a daily walk increasing my time.

I’ve been pottering in the house and garden and potentially bending and picking things up too much over the last week and I became really sore on Sunday and I’m still on couch arrest since then. I’ve had aching radiating pain all down thigh and into knee. Had PT yesterday and she said it was certainly my IT band and the tensor facia latae muscle (which is cut during surgery) causing my current grief. Now she says this muscle needs strengthened not stretched and will always help IT band issues as it attaches to it. My exercises are with the lightest band and standing abduction.

PT yesterday was more of a chat and a lovely thigh massage and she even used a cup thigh to increase blood flow! I want to take her home to have a massage daily! She did advise rest and use one crutch if required. She didn’t say bash on with exercises and this will improve but she did say there was a bit of a window that’s best to use post hip replacement.

So my problems are, the more I’m on my feet the sorer I get ( I know, no joke Sherlock I hear you say). And my pain seems to be a low but incredibly uncomfortable ache down thigh and into knee and calf. Once that sets in it takes a long time to resolve. I need to take a small dose of codeine and paracetamol. The last 2 days have been a write off. It’s starting to stress and really upset me. Feels like pre surgery. Also, not sure what’s going on but I have a hot burning sensation in my buttock. That’s not painful just bizarre.herlock

Post surgery - the good news is my gait is good and range of movement is good. I have been limping due to pain last 48 hrs however. I physically could potter and do everything I could the day before surgery however the pain then will set in. I feel I’m very behind :boohoo:
 
she did say there was a bit of a window that’s best to use post hip replacement.
Total rubbish - there is no window of opportunity post THR.

You are doing too much and your hip is telling you loud and clear. And if you are already using exercise bands - please stop. No wonder you are having aches and pains.
 
She said the window as in strengthening a muscle before it became too unconditioned. Or something like that.
I guess I am doing too much but I feel like I’m barely doing enough if I’m honest. I’m not daily walking which lots of people talk of as the best thing to do. I’m not actually using the bands either. That’s what I’ve been given but I don’t use them.
 
It’s always something thruout the many phrases of healing. Take is slow. Try to not rush healing thu good days. It takes up to 12-16 month to really get over all the ups and downs of healing. I usually rely on a fav chocolate treat on frustrating days. Protein shakes usually helpEd me with energy levels throughout the healing cycles.
 
Sorry to hear of your struggles @Clairebella, I can understand how you must be feeling as I seem to be in a similar situation to you at this time - apart from the amount of pain you're suffering. It is really difficult to know how much activity is too much, I definitely feel I'm not doing enough walking either but the weather is not helping and after two dry days earlier in the week it's unfortunately back to the supermarket aisles for a bit of exercise tonight.

Although you're not able to do as much physically as you would like, without suffering the after effects, it's very positive that your gait and ROM are good and hopefully the rest will eventually follow on. It may be that we have to take tiny steps when other hippies are taking longer strides but we will get there eventually !
 
@Clairebella I can relate to the two steps forward and one step back. The more active I am, the more hip irritability I experience. I moved some way or did something to cause groin pain today or possibly yesterday running necessary errands. Sitting and walking at first can still be an issue as something hurts on and off. Then it goes away until the next time. It feels as if I am sitting on something. I do things around the house but am not driving to a local park to walk. Still experiencing swelling. Getting in and out of the car is much better. Things are improving slowly. Ice is still my friend. It sounds like your hip thinks you are doing too much. When I heed the complaints and rest when I find myself in ODIC, I seem to make progress. It’s like there are still hurdles to face in recovery even at this stage. I hope your pain resolves.
 
You are doing too much and your hip is telling you loud and clear. And if you are already using exercise bands - please stop. No wonder you are having aches and pains.
@Jaycey
I’m really confused at whether I am doing too much 10 weeks post op. I’ve read and read all the bonesmart guidelines and advise again. It’s making me feel so down. To clarify, I am doing zero PT exercises, I am not going out walking, I am not doing any heavy housework like Hoover, mop and bed changing. I don’t go to the supermarket. I barely leave the house. I potter and lie on the couch in between. My house potter consists of meal prep, I empty dishwasher and restack, I clean kitchen surfaces, take out recycling to the bin. I have friends over for coffee maybe once a week. I’ve been to a friends house for coffee which was a 2 min drive and she set me up on her couch and footstool and brought me coffee.
So I’m just confused is that too much for my hip or is something wrong.
 
Oh and the big thing is - I’m due back at work in 2 weeks time. The surgeon signed me off for 12 weeks ( he mentioned 8 weeks to start and I said no 12 please).
If his expectation post op and at my 6 week check that I could be working 30 hours a week as a nurse then I’m surely on a declining pathway. I can’t even Hoover, how can I walk back into a job in a busy hospital in 2 weeks time?
 
No wonder you're so worried with your progress when your return to work date is so close. Would it be possible to extend your sick leave ? As you currently are, I can't see how you can return to work in such a physically demanding job in two weeks time.
 
We will be returning at the same time! My building is huge- getting from parking to inside is going to be tiring. I will have a special parking pass but we have people who abuse this so there may not be a spot for me. I am trying not to stress. We will have to compare what is working and what needs improving when the time comes! I am going to time how long it takes me to get ready because that has changed as well. Happy Friday- we have got this!
@SurreyGirl please share any strategies you have found that helps please.
 
@Clairebella As you are in the UK your hospital will have an Occupational Therapy department. They will need to assess you an approve a plan to phase you into full time work. Your line manager will need to sign off on their assessment.

I suggest you call the OT department at your place of work and get an appointment with them. In my case, OT extended my time off work and only approved a phased return after my spinal decompression surgery.
 
Yes, I have been under occupational health pre op. 4 week phased return. I can extend my sick line though with the GP which has been looking likely this week.
 
I needed 12 weeks vs. 8 weeks. Try to extend it if that is an option. I needed this extra time for healing.
 
I can’t see myself being physically able to even drive across the city to get to work let alone nurse patients when I struggling to even look after myself!
I will need to extend by sick time which I feel disappointed about. Being stuck at home is really getting me down as is the ongoing pain which many people around me don’t think should be the case at this stage. It’s weird, I almost feel shame that I’m not able to weightbear for too long without pain starting up.
 
I have recognized that I am a turtle in this recovery process. Who knows next hip I may be a unicorn or gazelle. Hip replacement recovery is different for everyone and recovery time is as well. I am finding that everything is taking longer than it used to. I had a friend who had shoulder surgery and they returned too soon and had to go back out of work. Do not feel guilty for needing extra time. I have shared some of the strange aches and pains with family. Unless you have experienced it- you have no idea. Our new hips will hopefully be our forever hips!
 
We will be returning at the same time! My building is huge- getting from parking to inside is going to be tiring. I will have a special parking pass but we have people who abuse this so there may not be a spot for me. I am trying not to stress. We will have to compare what is working and what needs improving when the time comes! I am going to time how long it takes me to get ready because that has changed as well. Happy Friday- we have got this!
@SurreyGirl please share any strategies you have found that helps please.
 
Hi - I posted something about this on my own thread. Phased return is a must… build up the hours gradually if you can.
Don’t be afraid to go to Occ health and get sone support and recommendations.

Rest up and Ice after a days work. I have just completed a full weeks driving and working 8-9 hours a day and this was essential for me.

I also took paracetemol in the morning to help with stiffness.

I wish you the best of luck..
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom