Guest viewing is limited

Chemical stress test info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That brings up another question. If a doctor is doing computer alignment, I wonder if the patient is exposed to a lot of radiation? One doctor that I was going to interview wrote that he had a problem with those procedures because everyone in the operating room was wearing protective shields but the poor patient who was lying on the table unprotected. I am real tired of hearing, " the amount of radiation you will experience is minimal." It won't be minimal if the patient has been exposed to a lot of radiation having all those x-rays to diagnose the problem. That is something I need to clarify with my doctor. I might end up with stellar knees but cancer from all of the radiation. Maybe I am thinking and worrying too much again. This has been on my mind of a while though.
 
I hear you Sonja. I was feeling a little defensive because I was worried she made a decision based on my bad experience. I hope she didn't. There are good and bad experiences and there are a lot of variables that play into a person's experience. I hope she read that part too. I was not sure if my experience was unusual or usual that is why I put it out there for her to consider.
 
That brings up another question. If a doctor is doing computer alignment, I wonder if the patient is exposed to a lot of radiation? One doctor that I was going to interview wrote that he had a problem with those procedures because everyone in the operating room was wearing protective shields but the poor patient who was lying on the table unprotected. I am real tired of hearing, " the amount of radiation you will experience is minimal." It won't be minimal if the patient has been exposed to a lot of radiation having all those x-rays to diagnose the problem. That is something I need to clarify with my doctor. I might end up with stellar knees but cancer from all of the radiation. Maybe I am thinking and worrying too much again. This has been on my mind of a while though.

I had the computer alignment, and honestly I don't worry about the small amount of radiation I "might" have been exposed to! The reason they wear spacesuits is to protect us (the patients) from getting infections! Please don't worry! Think of the things that you will be able to do with those new knees! :happydance:
 
I need to hear your positive attitude. Thank you. I have probably thought of every possible what if there is. I guess it is because I have had some bad medical experiences. It helps me to calm down when I hear your positive take on things. I like to hear all sides of the story because I don't like surprises, but the positive ones are the ones that help reduce my fear.
 
Great discussion, thanks to all of you. Be assured that it isn't just one horror story about this test but a culmination, including a new one today from one of my helpers whose mom had one fairly recently and said it was "a horrible day". My fear of the test is mostly about breathing, I think. I have bronchiectasis as well and I am always short of breath. I get in a panic about it from time to time, a severe panic. And it isn't even about the heart rate elevation, given that Afib has made my heart race into the 170s and more, with an erratic rhythm. I don't get panicked about an episode any more because I have learned techniques on how to ride it out. (I only take spireva for this and use a steroid inhaler as well.). And, speaking of that, I have read on mayo clinic site and I think the Cleveland clinic one that if you have asthma/lung issues adenosine is contraindicated, so what's up with that?

I have this week to talk with docs and make a cardio connection and see what transpires and then if I absolutely have to reschedule the test I will probably do it. Thanks again for the very helpful discussion.
 
Jude2,

Good luck to you in finding out whatever they decide! My atrial fib is under control and I am down to one pill instead of two for it! Once in a great while, it will quiver, but being me, I just hit my chest and it goes back into rhythm! I think A Fib is afraid of me! :heehee: :rotfl:
 
Ucsb I wasn't meaning that you should have sued anybody. Sometimes just mentioning the word lawyer will change things in a big way. If that had happened to me I would have turned them in to somebody though, the medical board or someone. That doctor might have been schooled in the the US, at the very least he has to be licensed here if he's the head of cardiology at that hospital. We don't blindly allow foreigners to come here and set up shop, they have to take tests to be board certified and can be held accountable.
 
Jude, I am so glad you are making a cardio connection. With all of your medical situations, that really sounds like a good idea to do that before this surgery because it is major surgery.
I understand the panic you experience as I have experienced that too as a result of a medical condition that I have and my father suffered from that when he had lung cancer after having a lung removed. It is no fun indeed. I can see why you are reluctant to have this test on many levels. I would do just about anything to avoid the panic attacks. Perhaps there is something the doctor can give you to relax you so that you won't feel a problem with your breathing during the test. If they are aware of your medical condition, panic etc., ahead of time, they probably have a way of dealing with it so that you won't be too uncomfortable. Be totally honest about the situation with the doctor. I am sure they have heard just about everything.
Maybe another opinion about the adenosine would be in order as well if your insurance allows it or at least bring the question up with your current physician so that he can explain why he has prescribed it to you and why or why not he thinks it will be a problem. Then you can make a decision whether you want to take on whatever risk there may be. I hate going to doctors but I go anyway. At least I get to hear their opinions and then I make a decision whether I will go with it or not.
Best wishes to you. Let us know what you decide and how it goes if you have the test.
Pam
 
@uscsbgal,

I probably had one of the most horrible experiences you can have when I decided in 2006 to have hemorrhoid s removed. The "doctor" cut me so bad that when he sewed me up, I ended up with an anal fistula. The pain was horrendous, and my hubby took me to a different city to get me away from him! Well, in the ER the good old boy network was alive and well that night as he said he had trained my surgeon, and he would call him and tell him I was moving back! 2 1/2 later, we got home and I went to the ER. My "doctor" was there and said he could take care of it! He did all right! He cut me open "liked a filleted pork chop" to use my hubby's words and sent me home w home health. When they came, they said they had never seen anything like it! My hubby contacted a surgeon friend of his in a town far, far away, and he recommended the best surgeon I have ever met! When I healed, all the scar tissue had completely blocked off the ability to "poop". When I saw the new surgeon, his first question was "who butchered you!" He had to go in and do a keyhole procedure. He told me that scar tissue is all that holds me together so don't let anyone else operate on you! I don't!

Now, I was furious, out to get a doctor's license, and sue him! Well there is a 250,000 cap and the lawyers told me I had a strong case but it wasn't worth their time.

There are other ways to make your feelings known though, so I went to his office told him what he did to me was horrible, and that as a teacher I would be sharing my story with everyone! I said don't worry, you can't sue me or anything, because everything I say will be true! His face turned white and he asked if there was anything he could do. I said yes, never pull this stunt on anyone else, because they might not be as nice as I am! :yes!:
 
Oh my gosh Sonja! What a terrible thing to go through! Surgeries scare the heck out of me. One never knows whether one is going to be "butchered" or not. I was butchered in the same area when they did my bladder surgery because they claimed I had a rectocele as well. I have had nothing but trouble since the surgeries and frequently have to lie on the floor in the fetal position to pass stool. That concerns me about the knee surgery because I don't know how I am going to get down onto the floor. I get syncope from the pain and the only way to avoid fainting and falling down is to get down on the floor. That is something I should mention to my OS. Glad you mentioned it. The bad results of previous unrelated surgeries are what have me scared to death about the knee surgery.

On a positive note, and it is a little off the subject here, but I am literally dancing around my office even though my knees are not much up to dancing. My second allergy test from Clifford consulting and Research came back negative! I am not allergic to bone cement and the Oxinium implant will be fine. I am home free! I can't believe it! What a relief! I am totally impressed with their testing. They test for everything, even sutures, staples, formaldehyde, you name it - 4200 things that one may come into contact with during a surgery. I feel so much safer now. What a blessing!:yahoo:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Chemical stress test info?
this is just great ucsbgal1971! Now you can put those worries to rest and move on to surgery. Know this is a real relief and a lot off your mind.
 
Yes it is great news. The first test put me on the borderline of being allergic to bone cement. The second confirms that I will be OK. I learned from this test that the silver bandages will not be good but the Oxinium implant will be OK. I just couldn't go into a surgery with the fear of allergic reactions. I have been through some pretty severe reactions and I never want to do that again.
 
Although my GP said my risk of a cardiac event is very low he ordered a chemical stress test which has me freaked out. He is known to be test-happy so I am second guessing him. My OS didn't order one. My fear is that the test could throw me into Afib which has been under great control for a long time and I hate pumping chems into my body. Would like to hear your feedback in general but especially if you have had one. Thanks.
I had a chemical percentine stress test about Two to Three years ago and that time what they told me
to do was make a high protein sandwich to eat later before they injected a certain type of medicine in
arm but first of all they have you lie down on a table and a machine goes around and over you looking at
your heart and then you go out and eat and come back and they inject the medicine into your arm.
I haven't had to have one since that and the meds made me feel funny and my blood pressure went
up alittle but I was okey.
I didn't like it and also check to see if you have a copay with it before you do.
I don't know if you have a good cardic doc and I'm not trying to influence you to change docs but if
I had one that was test happy unless there was a good reason for it, I would start looking for another
cardic doc that was a good one.
I am blessed in that I have a good one and he has a great bedside manor here in Florida,USA.
Hope that helps and the test does take quite a while unless they have made changes and if you want
to know anything else let me know.
Also the American Heart Association has a website that also might help you.Morningstar
 
ucsbgal1971,

I told you that story to tell you that not all of my stories have happy endings! Well. Ok, it did because I met the doctor who saved me from having a colostomy bag! But I am still thankful! Life gives you lemons, make lemonade! :happydance:
 
Yes, that is what I try to do. Funny you would mention about the lemonade. I had a painting of a lemon tree in my apartment when I met my future husband. It said, " When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." He told me that he married me because I was good at that. Hopefully I won't have to make too much of the stuff this time but I know how to do that if necessary. You have been through so much. They should award you the purple heart or something. Take care and thanks for your insight.
 
Scared, I know what you mean about lawsuits and I have been told by doctors that I should sue in a couple of instances but I found out suing people is a risky business. First of all it is almost impossible to find an attorney who will take a malpractice lawsuit because the expense of litigation is so high and the maximum a person can sue for in California is only $225,00 or $250,000 I forget which. Second of all, if you lose, you more than likely will have to pay for the doctor's legal expenses. Suing anymore is risky even if you have a legitimate case and one doesn't stand to collect much after paying the legal fees. I did get my pound of flesh once, however, because I happened to be walking down the hallway of the hospital where my doctor worked. He was approaching me and there was a lobby full of people. I shouted out at the top of my lungs, "Look Mark! There is Dr. So and So. He is the doctor who ruined my life!" The man grabbed the railing and turned white. It was like an E F Hutton moment if you remember that commercial. He got my message. That was enough for me. That was in the day before everyone had computers. Now we have the option to rate them publicly online. At least people can be protected via word of mouth from bad doctors.
 
This day took me on a different path than yesterday when I had decided not to take the chemical stress test. Turns out my stepson was scheduled right before me for a treadmill stress test. I had cancelled mine via phone message that they didn't get because of the holiday, so they had gone ahead and mixed up the isotope. So son spoke with his tech Susan about my situation and concerns and they both got me on the phone. Susan asked if I would come in right away for the resting heart part of the test to use the isotope and I agreed. Had a great tech and she and Susan and the doc who does these tests would see me through the adenosine part. I feel much less panicked about it now after the helpful discussion here yesterday and talking with these 2 techs. I am still anxious but it's considerably dialed down. Not sure when yet but soon.
 
Jude, That is wonderful! A caring staff is half the battle. What a wonderful step-son you have. You are on your way to new knees! Congratulations! It is my belief that the Lord works in wonderful ways. You are meant to have those knees and I believe you will make it through the test with flying colors.
I will pray for an easy time for you when you have the test. It sounds like you will definitely be in good hands.
The best of wishes to you! :flwrysmile: Pam
 
This day took me on a different path than yesterday when I had decided not to take the chemical stress test. Turns out my stepson was scheduled right before me for a treadmill stress test. I had cancelled mine via phone message that they didn't get because of the holiday, so they had gone ahead and mixed up the isotope. So son spoke with his tech Susan about my situation and concerns and they both got me on the phone. Susan asked if I would come in right away for the resting heart part of the test to use the isotope and I agreed. Had a great tech and she and Susan and the doc who does these tests would see me through the adenosine part. I feel much less panicked about it now after the helpful discussion here yesterday and talking with these 2 techs. I am still anxious but it's considerably dialed down. Not sure when yet but soon.
Judy,I'll keep you in my prayers and I'm glad you went through part of the test or and you are less stressed
about it.
I remember when I went through mine and my sister in law/prayer partner had went through it before,
and helped me to prepare and what to expect.
She has a Mitro Valve prolapse and has to do one every so often,like every Two or Three years,especially
if she has chest pain or problems.
I hope I helped to put your mind at ease or at least help with the stress level.
I know what's like not knowing what to expect and what's going to happen.Morningstar
 
Thanks, Morningstar!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom