Guest viewing is limited

Checking in after 8 days

I got 15, count 'em, 15 more. I'm supposed to just use Tylenol. And keep pushing my knee until I can wrap it around my neck.
15 pills! This is ridiculous! There is an epidemic of doctors against opioids for surgical patients! The drug companies are going to have to come up with something to give good pain relief. Use ice as much as you can. It is a great pain reliever.
 
I've been reading about depression and remembering mine. This might sound strange, but I think giving in to it is better. I cried and cried and cried. The more I tried to hold it in the greater the lonliness. It was so reassuring to know that crying and feeling hopeless was ok and to be expected. The crying distracted me from the pain. I'm not doing a very good job of explaining this. I look back and think how cleansing it was and what a relief to give up trying to be brave. I think we are all scared and don't want to be "weak". When I think about the brutality of a knee surgery , I say why shouldn't I cry? Once I accepted that the fear and hopeless feelings were part of it, I quit apologizing. All I know now is that in the beginning I didn't believe I would ever get better. Well, I have and the Bonesmart advisors are wonderful.
 
I refer to my knees as burpy, colicky, hyperactive little so and sos. I invite them along when I go out, but make sure I have everything they could possibly need for the outing.


Bilateral Total Knee Replacement 27 November 2017
 
Thank you all for the comments above. It was a busy two days, two church services on Sunday, where I directed , then yesterday, four hours' driving to fetch offspring home and then back. I expected to be sore today, and I am but was made worse at PT. Not news, is it? I banged the knee on a pointy bracket behind a church pew and felt shooting pain up and down the leg. It died down, but at PT I learned that I've still got a sore spot through which it's difficult to bend or extend due to pain on the outside of the kneecap. Now it's roaring and I'm counting the little tiny pills left in the bottle. I'm icing and using Tylenol. I'll manage but it sure seems unreasonable.
 
Two services and banging your knee to boot. You will need to ice more until your knee calms down again. It is nice to know you can have normal days!
 
I am fortunate (though low on funds) that I am not working just now and can rest. Was better before PT, not sure if that's a good or bad thing.
 
It is not good to be worse after PT!
 
Jockette is right. Pain after PT is your knee telling you that you are doing things it isn't ready for, or too much of the exercises you can. Always listen to your knee. It should always be in charge.
 
I know. I wasn't, at first, I felt better, as I usually do. Not today, very stiff and sore. Will see how I feel tomorrow, I may cancel Thursday.
 
Something is definitely going on. I've got a spot on the outside "corner" of the knee that's causing pain upon flexion or extension. I've been icing and elevating, gently exercising but not pushing it. Little worried about that spot, though.
 
So it turned out that the “spot” on the outside of the knee indicated a problem with my IT band. I have exercises for that now, ouch, but they are helping.

I took the dog to our frozen beach the other day. Both the beach and the ocean were frozen solid. As I stood on the beach the ground gave way under my surgical leg and I went straight down about a foot. Didn’t fall, didn’t twist, but yikes, I saw stars! Hoping I didn’t do damage. It feels as though I’ve been set back, with more pain and less ROM. I see the doc on Weds so we will see. I guess life happens.
 
I’m sorry your leg went into that hole! Hopefully you “just” damaged some soft tissue.

I have always wanted to see the beach with snow on it but so far haven’t. I live about an hour from the ocean now, so I’m hoping someday I will get there! But it doesn’t snow a lot in Delaware, so..

Next time/if you go again would you take a picture and post it? It must be awesome!

When we lived in Ohio I did see a large waterfall frozen. That was awesome!
 
Here is a pic of the water, frozen. You can see people way out, standing on it. This is Cape Cod!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Checking in after 8 days
    A3353576-7059-4A35-B6C3-1914C43829BD.jpeg
    203.6 KB · Views: 206
So it turned out that the “spot” on the outside of the knee indicated a problem with my IT band. I have exercises for that now, ouch, but they are helping.
Here's an article about IT band problems:
ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues and treatments

As I stood on the beach the ground gave way under my surgical leg and I went straight down about a foot. Didn’t fall, didn’t twist, but yikes, I saw stars! Hoping I didn’t do damage. It feels as though I’ve been set back, with more pain and less ROM.
I'm sorry to hear your leg went down that hole.
Treat it to lots more rest, ice and elevation.
I hope your surgeon finds you haven't done any damage.
 
Awesome picture, thanks!!!
 
That’s a great article, thank you. Helps to have visuals. Especially liked the acupressure self-massage.

I spend so much time icing and elevating, I’m feeling lazy and good-for-nothing!
 
I spend so much time icing and elevating, I’m feeling lazy and good-for-nothing!
Try not to think of resting as "lying around, doing nothing." Instead, think of it as working hard, to give your knee the best possible chance of healing well.
In other words, when you are icing and elevating and watching TV, you are not 'lazing around' - you are "engaging in a carefully considered, proactively designed, heuristically programmed, dynamically structured recovery programme".
 
Back
Top Bottom