Checking in after 8 days

And here the in home PT goes for three weeks, at which point you are supposed to get yourself to outpatient PT, whether you are cleared to drive or not. So that's the walk out to the car, riding in the car, walking from the car to the building, well, you get the idea. How can that be a good thing?
 
Been there done that. I went to out patient PT 2 days after surgery because they told me to. It never occurred to me to refuse. Getting in and out of the car was very painful. I know now that it was not necessary.
 
PT isn't really necessary, although it can be helpful if you get a therapist who adapts her/his therapy to each person's individual needs.

There are plenty of us here on BoneSmart who recovered well without going to PT. The activities of your daily living are enough exercise for your knee. As your knee recovers, you will automatically increase the amount of its activity.

My surgeon doesn't allow any PT at all for the first month after a knee replacement. He says your knee needs that time, to start on its journey of healing. For that month, we rest, ice and elevate our leg, and walk around the house.
After that month, we just go to PT once every 2 weeks, where we are shown a few new exercises to do at home.
His patients all do well and achieve good ROM, as I did, and he hasn't had to do a manipulation to help with ROM for the past 4 years. I think that speaks for itself.

I did go to PT after the first month for my first two knee replacements. For the last one, I didn't go to PT at all. Both my knees are strong and reliable. They straighten fully and bend to over 125 degrees. I can do anything I want to with them.
 
About the cementless knee: I don't think it's any reason to have increased pain.
PT doesn't need to be any different, because all PT should be gentle anyway.

I think that @kneeper has a non-cemented knee. Perhaps she can talk to you about it?
Yes, both my knees are cementless and going strong. My OS did put in a few screws and I was weightbearing right away. My recovery was the same as everyone else's.

Celle is right about the PT. It should be gentle and individually tailored. The key is for you to pay attention to what the knee is telling you. When to back off and when to try a little more.
 
Thanks for checking in about the cementless knee. I guess I'll just listen to what they say and do what makes the most sense. I know that I have more pain than they realize or frankly care about. The thought of driving myself to PT soon seems crazy. Tomorrow is my three week post op checkup. We'll see!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
The meds are always a mystery. I came home with a quantity of 40 Oxycodone 5 mg with Tylenol. Instructions to take 1 or 2 every four hours. Tramadol also prescribed to fill in. At that rate I would have run out pretty quickly. I didn't take the Oxy that often, and seldom took two. I got a refill a week ago and have been rationing them to get me to my appt tomorrow. If they expect me to be as active as they say, I need the drugs. There is such trouble here with the epidemic of opiate addiction that the docs are very sparing with the meds, and people with pain are left behind.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Hello, I had my post op checkup and my surgeon was thrilled at my progress. I switched to a cane and got permission to drive. Two more in home PTs and then to outpatient. He told me that in four more weeks he wanted to see me at 120 degrees. I must say he jokes with me a lot and he had a big grin. I yelled at him for having unrealistic expectations.

Drove on Thursday. It's so hard. Can't take my meds and boy, the immobility in the car is awful.

Starting to feel anxiety and depression. I've been on meds for these issues for a while but it's all of a sudden hitting me again. I searched the forum for threads about this, I guess it's to be expected. Feeling very alone and misunderstood. In addition, I had a sort of volunteer/part time gig for which I've been replaced by someone who everyone describes as awesome. That's nice. I'm sure I'll get over this but it doesn't help matters!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
At 8 months post op I still have trouble getting into the car on the driver’s side and it takes a while for my knee to settle into the position once I am all the way in. I don’t have either of these issues on the passenger side.

Depression is easy to come by in this very long recovery. I still have my moments with “before surgery nobody told me it would take this long” and I still get mad at those partial knee replacement ads that lied to me!

Deep breath. I can only go forward and hang in there with that awful P word-Patience. It’s hard, though.

I’m happy I can bowl with my friends, though at a lesser quality than before. I’ve even come to not only accept my new “post-op-still-recovering approach to the line” but I’ve come to like it and just might stay with it. I’ll see how it goes.

I’m glad you have a pleasant surgeon. Mine is very pleasant, too, even though I get annoyed with him when he tells me to do something Bonesmart says not to. After my ups and downs with him I’m glad he’s the one I have. It could be much worse.
 
I didn't drive for almost 6 weeks with my left tkr--being on pain meds & then the difficulty getting in and out of the car.
We understand how frustrating this recovery can be and are here for you.
 
Starting to feel anxiety and depression. I've been on meds for these issues for a while but it's all of a sudden hitting me again. I searched the forum for threads about this, I guess it's to be expected. Feeling very alone and misunderstood.
Yes, the post-op blues are almost inevitable:
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
But since you've had problems in the past, do work with your own doctor/PCP, so that you don't get too "down".
 
A surgeon with a winning personality is a plus. It’s less intimidating to visit someone you trust to be pleasant.

It’s little wonder TKR patients get the blues. Pain. Immobility. Loss of freedom. Medications that do evil things to our bodies and psyches. Sleeplessness. It’s a lot to handle! But you get off the meds, and the pain goes away (though not quickly enough for some of us), and sleep makes its welcome return. But even with that, it can sometimes feel as if we’re not going to ever recover.

Sometimes it helps to look back at your first week or few weeks, and realize how very far you’ve come. It’s good you can work with your doctor, too. We’ll listen when you feel down. :console2:
 
A surgeon with a winning personality is a plus. It’s less intimidating to visit someone you trust to be pleasant.

It’s little wonder TKR patients get the blues. Pain. Immobility. Loss of freedom. Medications that do evil things to our bodies and psyches. Sleeplessness. It’s a lot to handle! But you get off the meds, and the pain goes away (though not quickly enough for some of us), and sleep makes its welcome return. But even with that, it can sometimes feel as if we’re not going to ever recover.

Sometimes it helps to look back at your first week or few weeks, and realize how very far you’ve come. It’s good you can work with your doctor, too. We’ll listen when you feel down. :console2:

Thanks. It helps to know I'm not alone. Now that I'm using a cane I think things are a bit more difficult, requiring more ice, elevation and rest. I feel as though I should be back doing things. The church choir wants me back but it's two flights downstairs and then back up! And sitting for two hours in a folding chair. It's just not happening. Sigh.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
You are still very early, you’ll get there, though.

I used to sing in our church choir. I enjoyed it. I still have a bit of trouble sitting in certain chairs with my foot on the floor.

Are your kitties happy to be home? Are you doing ok taking care of them?
 
The church choir wants me back but it's two flights downstairs and then back up! And sitting for two hours in a folding chair. It's just not happening.
I have a low stool that I took to the choir loft to put my legs up on. Plus, I took ice packs with me. You are still too early too think about doing those stairs, but when you're ready, elevate and ice! You can even use another chair to elevate on. The choir will be glad to get you back anyway they can!
 
Hello, I can't find my recovery thread, I'm sorry. My left TKR was 11/2. Yesterday a swollen, red area appeared at the bottom of my scar. The doctor said it's likely a stitch abcess. I searched but didn't find anything about this on the forum. Has anyone had these? He said to use some heat on it, to call him if it changes or drains.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Hi @Sue4473 ! I found your old thread and merged it with your new thread. If you bookmark this thread, it might be easier to find it again.

I had a stitch abscess too. It went away on its own. I think your surgeon is right. Try not to worry. (Easier said than done, I know.)
 
I posted yesterday but not in the right place. I saw the doc, all is good with ROM but I may have a stitch abcess and I have plantar fasciitis in the foot on the same side as the knee.

He have me a hard time about pain medication when I asked for a refill, somebody should try sawing their legs in half and see how they like it. I got 15, count 'em, 15 more. I'm supposed to just use Tylenol. And keep pushing my knee until I can wrap it around my neck.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom