BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[BILATERAL TKR] Chattalyn-6 months-still use cane for gait

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Chattalyn, Aug 7, 2017.

1. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    A wave hitting your knee sideways is really scary!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Chattalyn

Chattalyn junior member

I'm doing fine but, just need to vent----in church this morning, I put my legs up on a chair in front of my pew-cause it feels better after a music practice beforehand. In chatting with a lady about TKR, she said "shouldn't you be well by now?" Why do I feel the need to explain-everybody heals at different rates, I was knock kneed for years before BTKR and still use a cane for balance, etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

We totally understand that vent here! We’ve all been told that and it aggravates us.

4. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Try not to listen to well-meaning friends and acquaintances. Everyone expects TKRs to heal faster than they do, but no one knows exactly what your knees went through, even if they have also had a TKR. Every knee is different and your knees are on their own schedule of healing. They will get there, but they need to follow their own path.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. jboles

jboles graduate

@Chattalyn Yes we have all heard that before, and I'm afraid we'll continue to hear it from our "well-meaning friends and sadly, family too". No one that's never had a TKR, and maybe even those that have had a TKR, know what you are going thought at this particular point in your recovery. I was also knock-kneed for several years before my TKR's, mine were 6 months apart, but I'm learning to walk all over again, just as I'm sure you are too. No one tells you this before going into the surgery, at least no one told me. And people have a hard time understanding this fact, even PT and doctors and our loving family. But we understand. :console2:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I don’t know what it is about joint replacements, but everyone seems to have an opinion about where you should be in recovery. I think part of it, especially with people who’ve never had a TKR, is that they have no idea it can take a long time to become merely mobile, much less back to normal. People can be quite mobile after abdominal surgery, for example, so it can be hard to tell. With TKR you are using a cane when first getting up and about, so people have a chance to be curious.

7. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I think a good comeback would be, "How would you know?" This aggravated me to no end. Or and the comment, "Be sure and do all your exercises." Again, how would they know?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Chattalyn

Chattalyn junior member

10 MONTHS
    Just checking in. Seeing progress every week or two. Stairs are easier, but use cane if I go out for stairs in case there's not a railing, or I have uneven ground.

Have been trying to walk more. Using recumbent bike at the Y is easier. Yesterday I did 5 minutes on the elliptical and I felt it-used some muscles I normally don't use, but it feels almost better today.

• Like Like x 2