TKR Cflower's recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Debbie, you speak there as if it's not allowed! We ENCOURAGE it! That's what BoneSmart is all about.
 
One week today from surgery. Slept like a rock last night. Set alarm for 1;30 and 5:30 to take pain medicine and then just woke up at 8:30. Got dressed. Sent husband off to golf today and promised to behave myself. Leg is always really stiff in the morning so after getting dressed, I'm killing a little time and then going to get on the cpm machine and limber up a little then do the 5 exercises that pt gave me that I have to do on the bed. then i will get out and plant myself on the couch for the day with my friend, Ice. He's just waiting in a cooler that my husband sat up before he left. I;ve finally taken the big bandaid off. I don't like looking at it but with shorts on I have no choice and since no one will be around today except for the two of us, I'm baring all. Really want more ROM today especially with the exercise that I pull my leg under the chair, which hasn't happened yet. I feel like I should be trying harder but as stiff as swollen as it is I feel like I just shouldn't force it. I'm not a very forceful person anyway so I'm not arguing with the leg. Happy 4th to everyone.
 
One week today for surgery. Sleep like a rock last night. Set alarm for 1;30 and 5:30 to take pain medicine and then just woke up at 8:30. Got dressed. Sent husband off to golf today and promised to behave myself. Leg is always really stiff in the morning so after getting dressed, I'm killing a little time and then going to get on the cpm machine and limber up a little then do the 5 exercises that pt gave me that I have to do on the bed. then i will get out and plant myself on the couch for the day with my friend, Ice. He's just waiting in a cooler that my husband sat up before he left. I;ve finally taken the big bandaid off. I don't like looking at it but with shorts on I have no choice and since no one will be around today except for the two of us, I'm baring all. Really want more ROM today especially with the exercise that I pull my leg under the chair, which hasn't happened yet. I feel like I should be trying harder but as stiff as swollen as it is I feel like I just shouldn't force it. I'm not a very forceful person anyway so I'm not arguing with the leg. Happy 4th to everyone.


Cflower, don't you have to wear the teds, (compression stockings)? I know it is mandatory for me for several weeks after surgery. One thing I am not looking forward too if the weather stays this hot, but have to look at it another way too, is that I can't shave my legs for two weeks before and two weeks after. So those teds will help hide the forest growing on my legs next month.
 
No stockings. I told him I had some travel socks and he said not to wear them. He is one doctor in this group that doesn't use the pump or order the cpm machine for HOME and no stockings ?? I guess I could wear on my own but how do they go over the incision. Do they reduce swelling or for clotting. Maybe he thinks warfarin is enough. I do have to take it for 2 months
 
My surgeon doesn't hold with their use because of the P in the name which stands for passive. This means it actually does little or nothing for your muscles strength or ability, you still have to do that for yourself. But it seems to be the thing to do in the US, so :shrug:
 
No stockings. I told him I had some travel socks and he said not to wear them. He is one doctor in this group that doesn't use the pump or order the cpm machine for HOME and no stockings ?? I guess I could wear on my own but how do they go over the incision. Do they reduce swelling or for clotting. Maybe he thinks warfarin is enough. I do have to take it for 2 months

Hmmm, I know my doc says to take them off at night, but on during the day for a couple weeks or more and I will be taking warfarin too, for about 3 weeks I think.
 
How different it is from place to place. I had to wear stockings, knee high, for 6 weeks. They were actually quite comfy. I only took a daily aspirin for 6 weeks to prevent clots
 
After 10 days or so I think you can quit. That's what I did. I got up to 90%. At that, it was almost lifting my hip up.
 
I like Josephines response. lol. I however loved the CPM machine. It is only passive motion and you do have to do your stretches along with the machine. I used the machine for 3 hours on 3 off 3 on. I dont know if it helped my recovery but I got a fairly nice stretch in my hamstring and hip flexor. lol. Which im sure I could have done all that on my own!! haha. I am having my Left TKR in 19 days and I will do my recovery the same way as my right TKR. When I used it I would bump it up if for the 1st 3 hours it was set at 90 and the next time I used it starting at 90 then after 15 minutes bump it up to 95 and so on. Good luck with your recovery and remember the CPM machine is only passive movement you still have to do your stretches.

Margie
 
Wondering if I should we're them I googled and found one comment that no oppression stockings for pst op so I'm trusting my dr. He's one of top in Houston and at one of the best orthopedic hospitals in us. I would recommend te combination to anyone in the area.

I would like for tightness to go down. Know of any diuretic foods that will drain body
 
I called a medical supply place and they have foam wedges 7 inches 10 inches 12 inches high is the 12 inch high enough to elevate leg? My pillows keep wanting to slip and I would rather have one piece.
 
I agree, do what doc tells you. Don't know of any food but make sure you drink plenty.
 
Ouch....can you hear me crying. Woke at 8:30 walked to kitchen. Went back to bed did three of the exercises pt gave me got in cpm machine for 1 1/2-2 hours finished one more exercise. Went and laid on couch with leg elevated went to kitchen helped to start grits and okra dish. Believe me I didn't do much. Laid down after doing about 5 leg stretches sitting in chair. Then my leg started hurting. My husband had gone to buy me a wedge which is working 1000 times better than stacking up pillows. The pain got so bad by the time he got back I was crying. THen I yelled at him when he stayed out side too long throwing out flowers. I think I was scared I was having a blood clot since I have the protein s deficiency thing. the pain seemed to be on the inside part of knee about 3-4" both directions. Radiating pain. I took pain meds on time and ths was an hour into pill. Seems like leg might be a little softer and I'm wondering if when the swelling starts going down if it could be more painful. I just know it scared me because I have not experienced a lot of pain yet. I'm sleeping greatand I would by far say ths has been my worst day. I had surgery last wednesday 7 days out.

My husband has been the best nurse anyone could want. He slept in the hospital in a chair for te three nights I was there. He went and bought cupcakes twice because that's wat I thought f when I woke up from surgery. He hovers over me, fixes me little snacks and in miche fashion brings me a delicious tray of food. He's bbqing a butt ribs and sausage for today (4th) and its just us.

HoPe or a peaceful afternoon and no more tears. Just want to see if this kind of pain s normal. Thanks
S for all the input.
 
Didn't someone post a while back, that they found something like this at Bed, Bath and Beyond? Instead of a medical supply place? Or am I hallucinating about that one? I'm guessing that it would be less expensive there, than at a specialized medical supply place.

This is still on my to-get list.
 
Yes, Bed Bath and Beyond carries foam wedges. That is where I purchased the 7 inch wedge, they have other sizes.
 
My husband picked one up for me at bed bath and beyond. Works great and they have coupons so it is not expensive. By the way , their coupons never really expire. If you have an old one they will honor it.
 
Day 9 had pt today and with him holding my knee over his arm and pushing gently own he almost got it to 90 rom. I think I have been icing too much. Sleep is still gret and my favorite part of day. My walking is better. I have walked so wrong for so long either flat footed or kind of swing my leg, I thought my brain forgot how to walk but I'm starting to do better with heel to toe. When do most doctors ok sex lives to get back to normal.

Going to friends house tonight for dinner. Hope I can make it at least two hours. Will be nice to see all our friends.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom