Hip Infection Cement spacer in hip nearing the end

Thank you to everyone for their kind thoughts and well wishes.
Yes , i am on antiobiotics for the CDiff now. I have been off Vanco for infection in hip for nearly 4 weeks.Would appear the infection in hip is gone. The surgeon was very happy with the look of everything.
Just dealing with cramps and discomfort from CDiff now. I understand that can take a while but at least diarreah has passed.
What a nightmare!
 
So sorry to hear of the delay. I guess it's a blessing the C Diff was discovered rather than risk something else going wrong. Hopefully everything will proceed now as scheduled and you can move on to the healing process!
Plz keep us posted.
A peaceful day to you...... @fire412
 
Nasty thing C Diff isn't it.
You didn't need that for sure after your hip infection.
Hopefully you'll be rid of it shortly.
Wishing you well on your journey.
Joe....
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So not too far away from hopefully the last chapter in the nightmare.
I am curious to know what people feel like after waking and having an actual hip joint again? Spacer finally gone? Right now I feel like there is nothing that the surgeon can do to me that can hurt more than what I have lived through over last few months. Surgical pain I understand and get but wondering about how it feels to have cup secured back in there and a smooth functional joint again and how the pelvic bone feels after months of the scraping from the cement spacer. Sounds awful and it honestly is/was. Also my whole body hurts and is compensating for im guessing the lack of movement of the bad hip and favouring of the "good" side.
Hoping to hear from those who have hone through the final stage. Thanks.
 
@fire412 I don't know from experience but I am pretty sure it's going to be heaven for you :) :-) (: Your achy body may take a while to relax into the new, proper configuration, but there are things you'll be able to do about that. Keep us posted!
 
Im so, so sorry. It sounds awful! Thankfully your nearing resolution and it will be Oh, so sweet!
Praying for you to get through this and to that point.
We're on the sidelines cheering for you to be pain free and over this nightmare.
To brighter days......right around the corner......hold on!
@fire412
 
Hi everyone. Well, been the toughest few months of my life and to be honest im not sure how I did it.

It's day 2 of the stage 2 revision and the spacer is finally gone. Doc said there were no signs of any residual infection and so far none of the sample cultures he took have grown, so definitely great news there.

The awful pain of cement on raw bone was immediately noticed to be gone after I woke. Pain now is what I would describe as "surgical" meaning muscle pain and achiness from hip to the knee. Definitely manageable. The surgery lasted 3:45 and I needed 2 units of blood today. Hemoglobin went from 130 down to 77.

Since the femur had to be reopened to check for infection, I am unable to bear weight for approx 2 months. Doc explained this was due to femoral implant actual slipping down the bone too far. Obviously I need to be really careful.

If anyone is facing similar type challenges and upcoming surgery for anything similar I would be pleased to answer any questions you have. Everyone here was so kind and positive I cant thank you enough. Long way to go but at least now I can tell my friends I'm on the way to getting better and the healing has begun.

Thanks again to everyone and I will check in regularly.
 
Alot of support, I will definitely send anyone with similar issues your way.
Also, your BS buddies, including myself, will be awfully upset with you if you don't BEHAVE for the next few months...we are rooting for you and wishing you the best
 
Wow.....You've been through so much and thankfully some of the worst is behind you. Your story has been sad but inspirational. Not only have you acquired wisdom and will have advice to offer another but your patience and positive attitude have set quite an example.
It's hard to imagine all you've experienced. So happy to hear an end is in sight.
Prayers for continued healing and a great week to you @fire412
 
Today is day 13 and can happily report I think I am going to be able to manage from here without any more narcotics for pain.
Getting here through first 2 weeks has been a nightmare though. Surgical aches and pain of course but worse than that was the body aches from head to toe. Guess never actually recovering since Febuary 24 with 10 surgeries since takes its toll on everything in the body. Not actually being able to walk or move properly for 6 months causes lots of issues. Worst being a horrible pain over and just below the knee cap on the op side. I am hoping its quad weakness or other muscles around the knee being so loose and weak. Very frustrating as hip joint feels good and range is improving daily but this really knee!
Anyways was wondering if anyone has experienced night sweating and I mean waking up every few hours and being soaked! Happens every night. I figure its a side effect of the blood thinner or another med but not sure. Stress on the body as healing progresses? No fever. Please let me know if anyone has had this as its a real issue for me.
Thanks to all and be looking forward to anyone who has had the knee pain or night sweats replies.
 
Anyways was wondering if anyone has experienced night sweating and I mean waking up every few hours and being soaked!
I had this post LTHR. It is very disturbing! I assumed it was the drugs I was taking as it just faded away with time.

I also had horrid knee pain post RTHR. I think the surgeon really handled my knee when he accessed the joint as I also had significant bruising. Icing and elevation help this ease. Are you using any walking aid?
 
Hi @fire412
So sorry you're still suffering to a degree. Prayers that you soon find comfort and can move forward.
Possibly you could tag Josephine, the orthopedic nurse to see if she's able to offer any advice.
Hope you get some answers soon. Wishing you a restful day!
 
I am on crutches as this was a stage 2 revision. Doc had to open the femur up to make sure no infection before the new stem went in. I am trying to be mindful and get the leg moving normally despite only toe touch weight bearing.

How do I go about tagging Josephine? Thanks.
 
To tag any member just put the @ sign in front of their name. If the tag works a dropdown menu appears and you just click on the member's name. I'll tag @Josephine for you.
 
Wow I just want to say that you are incredibly positive considering the terrible journey you've had so far.... hang in there, surely things can only get better , my thoughts are with you Be strong
 
I had a couple questions.
First is regarding night sweats. 13 days post op second stage revision. Had a femoral osteotomy as well. I wake every few hours and am soaked in sweat. Been going on since the surgery. Others seem to have had this as well and was wondering if it was med related or something else. I have no fever.
Also, I am experiencing extremely painful kneecap and just below when I load up the leg and simulate walking with my crutches. Sometimes when straightening the leg I can feel some clicking just above the kneecap.Hip feels great. Knee kills. Very frustrating since never had any previous knee pain.
Thank you for your help with this.
@Josephine
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom