THR Ccarol's recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ccarol This is all so normal, the ups and downs of recovery. I think we have this notion after surgery that it's smooth sailing all the way, but that's rarely the reality. When I had my first surgery years ago, the mantra given to me is "Slow and Steady". It was repeatedly drummed into my head no matter how great I felt early on. It only takes one silly move one day to set you back for weeks!

I think you may have answered most of your own questions just by "complaining and whining" here.:heehee: It's possible, too, that your gait is causing some of these issues. Groin pain is difficult. It sounds like you have a helpful PT - acupuncture and light stretches should help with the soreness in the groin. :yes:
 
I got outside and walked about a mile both Friday and Saturday.
At only 4 weeks out this is a bit much for any new hip. I found the best approach was one day of activity followed by a rest day. Pretty soon the rest days will get shorter. Slow and steady does it!
 
@Cynthia777 Thanks for reminding me that there is a lot of healing to do and not just a few months. Some days I wake up feeling so good, I think I can do more than I should.

@Zelda After one of my walks this weekend, my unoperated leg felt worse than the operated one. My surgeon said that it would be another 3-5 years until I needed a replacement, but I'm thinking it will be sooner.

@keepmovin Yes, I did learn from that. I certainly don't want to have any set backs. I feel that I want to have my old life back again that I'm probably rushing things. Slow and Steady!

At only 4 weeks out this is a bit much for any new hip. I found the best approach was one day of activity followed by a rest day. Pretty soon the rest days will get shorter. Slow and steady does it!

@Jaycey Thank you for the advice. Since I don't get much walking in during the week, I feel like I have to make up for it on the weekends especially when the weather is nice. I'll make it more of a point to do activity every other day.
 
I have found anytime I do my "therapy" walking (1/3 to 1/2 mile), I end up really paying for it with pain in my unop hip. My op hip feels great and I know it needs the exercise. I want to be off all pain meds by April 1st if possible, so they work well when I have my next THR on April 26th. It's hard to know whether to walk or not to walk. How are you feeling today?
 
have found anytime I do my "therapy" walking (1/3 to 1/2 mile), I end up really paying for it with pain in my unop hip. My op hip feels great and I know it needs the exercise.
I'm the same. I'm struggling to find a balance between exercising the new one and not stressing the old one. I think for me the hard work will start when I have two new ones!
 
Week 5 and I have been given permission to drive again. I adjusted the seat so as not to break restrictions. I have bucket seats that are a little uncomfortable so I will try add a small pillow.

I'm starting back to work on Monday. I will start with a combination of in-office and at-home for the first few weeks. I'm lucky that my boss is flexible with working remotely.

I've noticed that I have a little more pep-in-my-step these days. I don't use the cane in the house but still use it when I go out or up the stairs.

Maybe TMI here so I apologize, but it's challenging figuring out ways for me and my boyfriend to be intimate and not break the restrictions. I don't feel any pain until the next day and it is more of a stiffness/sore muscles and I don't feel that I have hurt anything. I've read the articles here and have followed the suggestions but I"m still nervous that I will overdo it.

@Cynthia777 and @Zelda Same thing happened to me after my walk, my un-operated hip was hurt more than the operated one. I have a park behind my house where I have been walking around the trail fairly regularly. I started out doing one circuit and the other day I felt good enough to go around twice. Things feel like they are improving in the operated hip, but deteriorating in the unoperated one :sigh:
 
Nothing is TMI in this process. My physio gave me an illustrated sheet of intimate positions suitable for operated hips. :yes:
 
@ccarol
I saw a swivel pillow on Amazon that looked like it would be most helpful both pre and post op. I love the way you put "pep-in-my-step"...so cute and a great way to describe the increased energy!

Now to the "tmi" issue, well, get creative girl...remember the mantra..."slow and steady"! :rofsign:

As far as the pain in the un-op hip and walking...I've given up walking that 1/3 to 1/2 mile because I really pay for it for the next couple of days. Now I just walk around inside the house as much as possible (short jaunts several times a day) and this has helped tremendously. I can't figure out why I suffer so much when I do all my walking at one time versus breaking it up into shorter, but more frequent walks. Very odd, but it's worked for me.

Do you have a date set for your second surgery or have you not decided whether to have it done?
 
Hi @ccarol, if you are interested in possibly doing TaiChi (with the approval of your surgeon, of course), I know most of the good teachers in Maryland and could give you some suggestions if you tell me the general area you live in. I've been doing TaiChi for 15 years and it is easy to start very light and progressively get stronger. Plus, the people you meet tend to be very nice people as well. You don't want to go to a school or teacher that just dabbles in TaiChi because proper alignment and structure are key to increasing strength and balance over time. Because the movements are symmetrical and smooth, it might help you postpone your second THR. Let me know if you want some suggestions.
 
Hi @ccarol, I think all that you are describing is normal. This is a very emotional experience, and knowing that the other hip is deteriorating has got to weigh on you. I have found that backing off and taking rest days between the exercise days really helps. There is plenty of time.

I have felt clicking a few times when working out. I stop the activity. In my case, it's usually if I'm using too much weight on a machine, or doing something that aggravates the tendons. There's a lot of adjustment that happens after this surgery. Most of us were very misaligned, and the body is recovering.

I think once you hit the six month mark, you will feel much better. It's worth it to go slowly and patiently.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom