Guest viewing is limited

THR CatLady1 - recovery thread

Fabulous update, @CatLady1. Thanks for posting. I'm sorry about your mom. Yours is a fascinating story. I'm so glad to hear that your hip is doing well. You sound great. Congratulations.
 
What a wonderful update @CatLady1 ! So glad you are getting on with living life to the fullest post THR. Thanks for keeping in touch.
 
Wow... 1 year ago, I was back in my hospital room, trying to understand what a "log leg" was. Can it really have been a year already?? Here's hoping all you hippies have also had a sucessful year teaching your new hip how to behave!
 
Thanks for checking in @CatLady1 ! So happy you are enjoying pain free living again!
 
It was two years (this past Friday) that my partial body replacement was completed (THR). Another year, and I've gained a bit more flexibility, and am enjoying being active. It's been so awesome to get my life back! (I keep reminding DH that's this is what I used to do...).
My brother in law is now due for a hip replacement in February. I've referred him here to Bonesmart. It's a great resource, and I'm hoping he will join the discussion.
 
Amazing how the hip can keep getting better @CatLady1. Good job referring brother-in-law. You will also be a great resource for him.
 
:goodpost: Glad you are doing well.
Inspires us all that we will continue to get better and better !
 
Congrats on two years! A flower for your anniversary :flwrysmile:
Wonderful feeling I'll bet, reaching that milestone.

Thank you for referring your brother in law to BoneSmart.
I'm convinced he will benefit through the support offered here.

Warm wishes for a great 2018 filled with abundant blessings!
@CatLady1
 
Hi @CatLady1
My THR was performed Dec. 11. I had a walker for a few days and then graduated to a cane. By the end of the second week, I kept forgetting the cane. Depending upon the height of the steps and how many there are, I can walk up and down them quite normally. My surgery was a month ago today exactly.
Best wishes for a wonderful adventure in recovery,
Patrikya
 
@CatLady1 Thank you for posting your success story. It gives us hope that better days are indeed ahead. Have fun, life is short!
 
Thanks for all your kind comments.
I can really tell a huge improvement between one year out of THR, and the 2nd year out. I really didn't realize how the bad hip had caused such body wide stiffness. I used to think it was only the hip and hip muscles that were stiff; I forgot how the back is affected, how the knees are affected, etc. I can remember trying to 'run' (jog) back to my car the summer before my surgery, going slightly up hill. I sort of 'loped' up the incline, dragging my right leg, and not really running. The next day I hurt all over. Last week I was crossing the road in a cross walk, and encountered an impatient driver trying to turn into my walking path. I started to walk quickly, then broke into a slight jog -- then stopped remember my OS orders of 'no running'. It was such a natural feeling to want to pick up the pace and jog out of the way. No pain, no stiffness, no dragging strange body parts behind me. I'm hoping that at the end of 3 years, I'll be looking back on this two year mark, and be amazed at the improvement.
The other thing I've noticed is how much less back pain I've had since surgery. I also have scoliosis, and (before hip diagnosis) attributed all my hip pains to the scoliosis.. piriformis pain, si joint, all of it. Since surgery, the back pain has been way reduced. The hip area pain is almost non-existent.

To anyone pursuing the end of the hip adventure, you'll get there on your own time frame. You can't think about what everyone else is doing, or how they are healing. We're all individual, with our own schedule. Cheers to all of you for stepping forward with the decision to improve your hip condition.
 
I know some doctors prescribe dental antibiotics post THR surgery. (My doctor was one.) Some OS don't prescribe anything. I was given a prescrition Cephalexin. I've taken it for the past two years before any dental appointments (teeth cleaning). I called my OS last Friday to renew my prescription, and got a phone call back from the nurse, stating they've changed their policy. Unless a patient is prone to infections, is diabetic, or is having major dental surgery (like a root canal), they no longer prescribe any pre-dental antibiotics. Anyone have comments? or been through the same thing, where the antibiotics are 'called off'? I'm wondering if more research has shown it to be in-effective?
 
My dentist gave me antibiotics before a cleaning, nearly four months post op. He said I won’t need them next time.
 
@CatLady1 ,
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom