THR CatLady1 - recovery thread

I thought I was coming along mighty fine until I tried those hamstring stretches Squirrelymom & Nana suggested. Ouch! There are quite a few sore spots and sore muscles that started yelling when I did them. I'm hoping my OS prescribes some PT at the 6 weeks mark. If not, I'll probably prescribe myself a few sessions.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hiya CatLady, sounds like you are doing just great. Lovely when life starts getting back to normal - and especially when its without that horrible nagging pain! We had our ops at the same time - like you, I am looking forward to 'proper' physio - my hospital package includes one session a week for 5 weeks, starting at my 6 week postop appointment. Meantime, although physios here are are cautious about anything but the most gentle exercises until the 6 week mark, they are OK with hydrotherapy earlier (still within 90 degree rule). Have had two sessions so far and love it - should be able to carry on on my own at local gym when their hydro pool reopens after refurb next week. Impressed that you are already back at work part time! How has that been? I am semi-retired - have done a bit of proof- reading to help out a friend while I've been recovering - hope I did an OK job but at times wondered it it was my brain that had been surgically removed! Keep us posted on your progress.


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
hope I did an OK job but at times wondered it it was my brain that had been surgically removed!
There is a bit of a "brain fog" post op. Even for those of us who were not discharged on the heavy duty pain meds. Just give it time - this will ease.
 
I'm going to have to stretch the non-op leg today. I have a muscle in the thigh of my left leg that has tightened up today. I think it must have been on of the exercises at PT yesterday that caused it. I've been really depending on that leg a lot and it's probably starting to rebel. I had a nice time icing and watching Madoff last evening also @CatLady1. It seems like every day and every exercise session brings on different aches in random places. I need the other hip replaced and soon so I will be balanced. :good-bad:

My OS instructions say no bath and no hot tub until after 6 week check. I wonder why. We have a hot tub on our back patio that we bought so I could bubble my aches away when all my hip pain first started a few years ago. I have some exercises printed out to do in the hot tub but I guess I'll have to wait. Most of you are talking about hydrotherapy and hot tub soaks earlier than six weeks. Oh Pooh.
:bath:
 
@Squirrellymom - We have a hot tub too- and I was so looking forward to getting back in it after surgery. When I mentioned it at a pre-op appointment, the PA got that look on his face and said 'no hot tubs for 90 days'. He said it was due to incisions and infections. I guess better safe than sorry. I love the hot tub jets massage. Now it waits until April 5th. Arghh.
I tried sleeping in bed last night. I woke up 3-4 times with my lower back hurting, and finally got up at 6:30 am and went to sleep in the LR recliner. When I moved out to the chair, I noticed all the morning stiffness I felt other days was gone (not sure if was due to sleeping more flat, or my stretching last night). I'm going to try the bed again tonight with more pillows under my knees and see how long that lasts.
I've noticed the more weeks that go by, the slower the noticeable progress is. I think I'm going to have to start comparing week to week.
 
@bettifloss- work has been ok. Some days I've worked 3-3.5 hrs (hard to get way in 2 hours). My job can be pretty low key (since people are expecting me to be out on medical leave still, it's not as demanding as it could be). Lots of talking to residents or vendors and answering questions (I'm the property manager for our very large HOA Association). I can't imagine being off work for 6 weeks then going back full time. It's been a good idea to phase in by working a few hours a day.
All this being off work gives me an idea of what retired life will be like :happydance::yay:
 
My OS instructions say no bath and no hot tub until after 6 week check.
Risk of infection if your incision is not totally healed. In most cases this restriction is lifted at the 6 week followup.
 
@CatLady1 - I know what you mean about progress being less noticeable as time goes by. On a day to day basis it sometimes feels like "one step forward, two steps back". Good idea to look at it week by week.

I slept all night in bed for the first time. My lower back did ache a bit, so I am going to try a bigger pillow under my knees. I do think sleeping in the bed gets me more stretched out and at this point, is better for me, especially now that I'm sleeping more fully throughout the night. Good luck with your bed sleeping, too! :sleeep::)
 
I've noticed the more weeks that go by, the slower the noticeable progress is.
That's the beauty of having a recovery thread. It's all documented and when you have days when you think nothing has happened you can look back and see just how far you have come. There is continue progress - maybe just not as dramatic as in the first few weeks.
 
My six week check up was today. In a nutshell, I was released to go back to work and to resume normal (well, as normal as I can make) motions. :snork: My original appointment time was scheduled for 1:30p - as the OS office is about 50 miles from us and I didn't want to negotiate morning rush hour traffic. About 2 weeks ago, I got an email stating my appointment was canceled. When I asked about that, they told me the OS had scheduled surgery for this afternoon, so I needed to reschedule. Well, the only times available were 8 a.m., 8:15 and 8:30, so I took the 'late' appointment at 8:30. But that meant getting up at 6 a.m. today and leaving the house at 6:45 am. Talk about a rude re-introduction to the regular world :loll:.... but all went well - mostly rush hour didn't exist today.

As I was getting settled into the exam room, one of the OS' nurses stopped by with a paper and said "Have you been given the bicycle instructions yet?" Of course I said, "No", so she handed me the paper: in essence, it's "go beg, steal, borrow, buy a stationary bike, and follow these exercises for the next few months". It starts with 2 minutes twice a day, and moves up to 15 minutes twice a day by the end of the month.
The surgeon came in after that, and proceeded to check my ROM and the incision area to see how it was healing. When I mentioned that I still had an extremely stiff / tight hamstring on the operated leg, he said, "Oh, you will for up to a year". He then mentioned that he had lengthened my leg, to accommodate installing the hip joint at the correct angle, (the hip ball was barely in the socket pre surgery, and there was a high possibility it could have been dislocated by moving the wrong way). Funny, as I haven't noticed feeling like I have a leg length difference at all like several BS friends mention.
I had wondered about the reduced activity level I was under for my recovery (some of you Bonesmarties were assigned to PT almost immediately). Now it makes sense to me - due to dysplasia, and the greater possibility of dislocation due to my very narrow hip sockets, the ROM activity was restricted for 6 weeks while muscles were healing .
In addition to the bike riding and other hip exercises, I'll be having DH help stretch my hamstring (lift the leg and hold it up at an angle while I'm laying flat).
I been approved to resume activities (no running or jumping) and all the rest of what's been restricted, even putting on socks and tying shoes (most of what I wear doesn't have laces, so we can skip that one). :happydance:

As for being released for full time work... Waahhhh! :rotfl:It's been sort of nice working 3-4 hours and day then going home.
After we left the Dr. office, DH asked if I wanted to drive now! :driver: He's been a great UBER driver for the past 6 weeks, and I imagine he's ready for a break.
One funny thing - last weekend I was so over wearing the Venowave compression devices at night (and was tired of taking Aspirin too - I'm not much into taking meds). So I decided to re-read all the OS advice I was given pre-surgery, hoping to find something about when to stop. A few pages into the packet, there it was in black & white: wear the venowaves for 4 weeks, and take aspirin for four weeks. I was already into week 5 by then. Needless to say, I stopped immediately. The rest of the week was focused on how much sleeping on my back at night sucked!!

After we got home today, I went stationary bike shopping on Craigslist, and found what I needed at half the Amazon price. And it was only 20 minutes from where we live. So I've already started my 2 minutes per session bike riding. Yay, CL. I definitely don't feel recovered yet, but certainly feel much better than pre-surgery. Walking feels good, and going up and down steps is much more normal now.
More updates later....
 
I definitely don't feel recovered yet, but certainly feel much better than pre-surgery
At only 6 weeks out you are definitely not fully recovered. Can you keep the work to part time for another few weeks? Very early out to be full on with work.
 
@jacey- when i was cleared to work 2 hrs a day, the majority of days ended up being 3+ hrs (partly because staff and residents felt they needed to stop by to chat) I normally work a 32 hour week (w 1 day off) but could certainly convert that to 6 hrs days. Even though I've been cleared to work , I plan to work what my body can handle. I'm the head of our office and only answer to a homeowners association board. If they don't understand or can't work with me, I certainly have options. Having had six weeks of less work certainly make me envious of the bone smarties who declare themselves retired! I tried to do that last year and got talked into staying a while.


Sent from my iPad
 
Wow @catlady, cleared for work! You have the wrong medical care! Lol
My consultant signed me off work for 3 months from surgery date, I won't be contemplating going back to work until beginning of April and then it will be a phased return, my Physio agrees, although on the outside the wound has healed and you are making great progress, what's going on inside is a different story and takes a lot longer to heal! Take it steady x


Becki - RTHR - 6th Jan 2016
 
Thanks, Widge. I've phased in my work. I'm divving up 32 hrs a week over 5 days, and averaging it out. Most of what I do really isn't work, it's more like babysitting the office. Not a lot of visitors or phone calls; I get asked to answer the phone as the second stage of the phone call - when someone can't explain the answer right, I get asked to talk. So it really isn't like a job that requires lots of moving / bending, etc. But I am getting my steps in while I'm there. :-)
 
Been thinking about you @CatLady1 and wondering how you're doing? How is the stationary bike working out? Have you found it helpful with your recovery? Whoa! Sorry about the 101 question game! :-)
 
@Cynthia777 - today is my 9 week anniversary! Since I was released at week 6 1/2, I feel like I've made great progress feeling stronger, able to have more stamina, have more range of motion, etc. I can move now like I haven't in a long long time - like walk upstairs reciprocally (how I love that word, I read it here first), I'm still working 32 hour weeks, spread out over 5 days, (it's been nice going into work late!), but will eventually move back to 4 day weeks.​
I'm not quite like the rest of you here, since I had only 1 bad hip (and hope to keep it that way for a long time). My normal daily activities now? After getting up (which both cats have taken to helping with lately - one jumps on my leg and decides to have a wrestling match; when she finishes, the other one decides to pace up and down my body - what a fabulous feat: she can change directions pacing without getting off me! And the end of all their adventure, I'm disgusted, and get out of bed. It works!) Before leaving the house to go to work, I ride the stationary bike for the assigned amount of time (tomorrow I ride for 12 minutes), and have hubby do some OS recommended hamstring stretches with my leg: basically, I'm laying on the bed and he lifts my leg from the ankle -- upwards -- keeping my knee flat, until I can feel the hamstring stretching. We do both legs 5 times each, for 10 seconds each. I'll also ride the bike and do more hamstring stretches in the evening after dinner (before bed).

I'm also still tracking my steps. My Jawbone UP bit the dust about 3 weeks ago - I took it off to charge it, and then it never came back to life. I was insistent in continuing to track steps so I bought a Fitbit Charge the next day (and noticed the step tracking was completely different - but I've decided that's OK as long as I use the same device consistently to track). Right now, the Fitbit is telling me I walked 5,559 steps today, equalling 2.45 miles.

Usually, when I get home from work around 5, hubby and I will walk our neighborhood before dinner: instead of walking only the gravel road across from our house, we'll walk that road, then proceed up one of the hills - either the one that approaches our house (I'll call it Cardio hill), or the departure hill - which doesn't make me nearly as out of breath. We walked Cardio Hill on Sunday, and walked the departure hill yesterday (it's actually a longer hill, but the ascent isn't as steep). When we got to the top, I decided to continue walking down another gravel side road (flat), to the end, then we traced our steps back home. I have yet to track specific distances with these evening walks - I'd have to write down the starting steps / miles and end steps miles and do some math... sort of more than I care to be concerned about right now. The most I've walked in a day is 3 miles - the least, one mile (rainy day). The best part of this? My hip isn't complaining at all! A lot of the lower back pain I felt previous to THR is also gone. All that tromping up hills, and I'm generally not even sore the next day. Somedays, I do still feel a bit of hamstring tightness, but I've noticed that the more I walk, the less I feel that. :running:

About a week ago, I decided I was going to celebrate all this walking by buying a new pair of 'walking' shoes (what better celebration, then new shoes, right??) :martini: They are actually running shoes, but my feet don't know the difference, and they sure are comfortable!

I don't sense that my hip recovery is slowing me down at work. Somethings I'm still can't do: Get in & out of the driver's seat of the car by just stepping in.... I'm still wanting to back into the seat and swivel around. The swiveling is much less than before, and I'm able to scoot into place once I'm sitting down.
Other things I can do now: put on my own socks, and tie my shoes (operated leg still isn't the easiest to do, but DANG! I can lean over and do it.) My hip is still stiff at the joint, I can only lift my left to about a 90% angle - but I can! Yay. Presurgery, any lifting motion was aided with my arms assisting the lifting; (I was ridiculously demonstrating to someone yesterday how I could now lift my foot and place it on the seat of a chair. Woo hoo. I'm sure they thought I was a little 'off'. )
Getting range of motion back has been so exciting to me. Even if the OS said it would happen, I'm one of those who have to see it to believe it. I feel like a kid running around showing everyone how I lost a tooth or something!

For anyone taking the time to read this, having THR really is all worth it. It's true what everyone else here says, you get your normal movements back, and soon you don't even think about it.

I found the Bonesmart forums in between my initial diagnosis (dysplasia causing osteoarthritis) and the 2nd consultation -- reading everyone's experiences made me feel much more comfortable about moving forward and deciding to have surgery. Thanks Bone-smarties!

For those of you two-stagers, anticipating hip #2 can't be exciting, but at least you're soon going to see the end, and be on a path to forgetting about all this! (Can we really forget?)
 
and yes, I guess I'm long winded here... that's what happens when I don't post for 2 weeks! :wave:
 
Well, no wonder I haven't seen you update for awhile! You've been traveling to and fro through hills no less!!! What a great update, so inspiring! Please don't ever feel you're long winded...I enjoyed reading every last word and the visual of your cats...hahahahaha! Simply hysterical! :rofsign:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: those pesky cats -- I've thought about locking the bedroom door (or at least shutting it), but one of them would sit outside and yowl to get in, the other would scratch and pick at the door. We decided the Keurig coffee maker turning on early in the a.m. may be their clue to get up -- so I've changed the auto-on time for tomorrow as an experiment.
I realized I didn't really comment about using the stationary bike for PT - riding it twice daily really does work on the hip range of motion. I can feel the THR hip working, and not moving nearly as smoothly, as the un-op hip. I've also noticed the motion is much better than when I first started riding, and I don't notice the hip muscles feeling tired like the first day. Now my hip just feels like it's been moved around. (I still can't get use to calling the hip joint a 'hip'. I still think the hip is where you put hands on your hip).
It's been a long while since I moved my hip normally -- even though I tried, I'm told the pain kept me from making normal motions; using a bicycle as PT does work wonders on getting someone to go through the motions to get the joint (and surrounding muscles) to start moving again. I'm sure the new joint doesn't need any practice moving -- it's the muscles that need help.
As for walking - I'm trying to follow the OS orders of "get up, walk, and move". It's a whole lot easier to do now that there isn't any pain. It's also good exercise! Especially now that we're having 60ยบ weather.
 
Oh yes, "pesky cats"! My cat, Milo, wakes us up by hitting his head against the wood blinds on our French doors. We tried raising the blinds, so he started leaping up in the air to hit them. Cats are very adaptable! :heehee:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom