THR CatLady1 - recovery thread

@CatLady1 I think you'll find using stairs normally isn't hard. The first time I went upstairs with reciprocal steps it was unintentional - just sort of on "autopilot" and then I realized it was easy and natural.
 
Today is Day 5 of recovery, and feeling a lot like Day 4 - I can get up, make bathroom runs, sit at the kitchen bar area and eat breakfast / lunch / dinner, make a few walker-assisted 'laps' out on our deck (40 feet in one direction) to get some walking in. We live in a small cabin (1000' sqft, with a third of the space up in the loft) and I'm limiting my walking to the porch / deck or inside on the first floor for now. Nothing hurts. The incision area is starting to itch, and the muscles under the bandage feel like they are cramped or knotted. I imagine that has a lot to do with the surgery and moving things around inside to replace bones. My knee has a small amount of swelling (but it still looks like a knee). Most of what I feel is a muscle tightness, or cramp, instead of pain. Daily activities consist of waking up, getting up and eating, eventually showering, dressing, then either moving around a bit, or sitting back down, and watching prerecorded tv shows, & playing ipad games, facebook, etc. In general, doing nothing.

I've discovered I sleep better in the lift recliner than our bed (something about having my head mildly elevated seems to work better, I also don't feel the urge to turn over.) In addition to wearing the venowave compression socks at night, I have a leg immobilizer strapped on my right leg. It's wraps around the leg and attaches to itself with velcro. It goes from mid thigh to my ankle. I'm guessing it's what knee injury patients would wear, and it seems to work well to prevent me from thinking about crossing my legs in the night. Of course, it's bulky enough that I can't bend over and put it on by myself (I'd break the 90* restriction) --

which makes me wonder: how do you new hippies manage all the extra's by yourself? I don't think that reacher would do much good trying to strap on venowave socks, or the leg compression wrap.

The 2nd day home, I found a free iphone app (Pill monitor) that let's me set medication alarms on the phone -- it's handy to be reminded as to what needs to be taken when, and works well -- since hubby is sleeping in our bedroom and wouldn't hear the alarms go off to remind me what to take when.

Thanks @Squirrellymom mom for the veggiechef tips. I'm hoping I'll get in their delivery while I"m still in the sitting around mode. Ha ha.
 
You sound like you're doing great! I didn't have any trouble with stairs. I just did them naturally, but I don't have any in my home. That itching is a good sign. My mom always told me that itching means the injury is healing.

I was on my own, and was able to manage okay with the socks and using the grabber. I had the anterior approach, and was able to put on the stockings the day after surgery. For some reason, that position was easy for me. The PT was surprised at how flexible I was for that exercise. Everyone is so different. (I consider myself stiff.) I also had the surgery at 50, so I think that made a difference. Keep up the great work!
 
@CatLady1 I'm happy to read your account as mine is very similar and you reinforce that perhaps all is normal. I'm not doing much of anything. Sit on sofa. Watch TV if anything worthwhile is on. Walk about a little. I'm not doing much but can mess around in the kitchen. Make tea, make toast, add water to the pets water dishes, go to bathroom yadda yadda. I really can't seem to "rest". I had a fitful sleep last night as I just could not get comfortable. I wanted to sleep on my side and actually tried it but my ham hock leg seems heavy and sensitive so that didn't work. I don't have any of the leg compression stuff but try to ice even at night. That is an oxymoron because I feel chilled and want to warm up to sleep but keep pressing ice mats on my thigh. Oh well. I'm tired today but doubt that I can actually lie down to sleep.

My leg also is not actually painful. Sensitive to touch, achey and tight from time to time and very small amiunt if swelling late in the day. Generally, just uncomfortable. I was given some general instructions to follow and they are fairly limiting. Move and walk around 10-15 min in any hour. Sleep 1 hr morning, 1 hour afternoon. Light showering so not to "soak" dressing. I'm not doing the sleep thing and because I don't actually do anything, I'm not sleepy. Catch 22.
Thanks for the update. Now I know I'm in a similar place with recovery.
 
A couple of weeks or so before surgery I got an Eddie Bauer email advertising they had their blankets & throws on sale -- I gave in to the sale urge and bought myself an oversized throw and new slippers (rationalized it would be a camping blanket later in life... ha ha.) We live in a small place, so two rules that I try to follow is "if you buy something new, something old has to leave" and "if you don't need it, don't buy it." Neither of those rules got applied to the purchase (yet), but the throw has turned out to be terrific. It's very light weight and warm - one side is nylon, the other is synthetic 'fur' and I think it's down filled. I've been using it as the recliner blanket at night, and cover up in the day while I'm sitting, laying around. I can put that throw on me with an ice pack and still feel warm. If anything, all this laying around and I'll wake up in the middle of the night with a cramp in my back from having lay in one place for too long. Then, readjust, and fall back asleep. Lately, I've been getting pretty good sleep at night, and don't wake up feeling like I can't stand sleeping flat on my back one more minute.

While overnight at the hospital, I noticed the hospital beds had an auto-adjust feature. It seems that the back of the bed (when in a 130º angle) would move around - maybe up 3", or back an inch or two. The first few times it happened, I thought maybe I was hitting something with my elbow, but after a while, noticed it was a 'feature'.

@Squirrellymom -- it's good to hear your updates too. When I read about @bettifloss walking off, going out to lunch, it makes me feel like I'm falling behind on the progress scale. (Wait for me, wait for me....) :alarm: I know, I know... each to their own, but still! :loll:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hip Hip Hooray! My right leg / hip really hasn't been flexible for years ( it was probably the first sign in my 20's that I'd have arthritis in that hip and should have paid more attention.) I was never one who could sit cross legged on the floor (or put it this way, the right side of me wouldn't bend right so I could sit like that). Funny, cuz as a kid, I do remember sitting cross legged a lot. I'm not sure when / where the inflexibility started.
 
Ermm @catlady, just to mention a. I am a day later in recovery, and so much changes every day, b. We all started from a different place, c. I will probably have a bad day sometime soon! And if i had a lovely 40 foot deck i wouldn't bother to leave the house, all we have is a car parking spot and then the street! xx


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016. Posterior approach with ceramic on ceramic prosthesis.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @CatLady1 and welcome to the other side! I'm happy to hear your surgery was successful and it sounds like you are doing quite well. You had mentioned the step climbing...I also had posterior approach done and I can tell you that going up and down stairs one step at a time and up with the good and down with the bad is just a precaution, not a restriction, until you get stronger and more confident using the stairs. Also, I was sent home with one of those strap-on leg attachments. But, I found firm pillow between my legs were much more comfortable and worked just fine in keeping me from breaking the crossing of legs restrictions. I also found that when I placed a pillow on each side, they kept me from rolling over on my side during the night. I am now 5 1/2 months post-op and now sleep on my back constantly. Through trial and error, I found sleeping on my back is perfect for me. There's actually a pretty comical pic of me in my "nest" on my thread (yahoo! I made it!) if you ever want a giggle.
And, just to let you know...there is a remarkable quality of life following this surgery. I started back bowling at 10 weeks and have been golfing for several weeks now, too.
Just follow the BS mantra, ice 24/7, rest and sleep often and elevate whenever you are sitting or lying down and before you know it, you'll be enjoying life again! Best of luck to you!
:flwrysmile::welome:
 
@bettifloss - I think it's pretty awesome that you can walk yourself to lunch somewhere right away, and you have several options at that. I'm thinking that's like having at home PT. Even at our last house, it still would have been a few miles via car at minimum to go eat / shop - and it was much more suburban than where we live now. The US has done a great job of urban spread. There are days when I envy those who can and do live within walking distances of eating out / movies, etc.

@Nana757 - It's hard to imagine improving that fast (10 weeks) ... but I'm looking forward to it.
 
Hi Catlady! I am happy to have found your posts. My surgery is in 5 days so I am trying to find out what I might expect on the other side. Seems very variable but I hear lots of positive comments so that is helping this "scaredy cat". Feel better! Jo


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@jomarie58 - Welcome aboard. Soon you'll be in here with us sharing your recoup stories. The good thing about this side of surgery - it actually does have an end (I guess you could say the same thing about pre-surgery too - but it seemed like it went on forever). In retrospect (for me), the surgery part wasn't all that bad.
 
Sounds like you are having a fine recovery @CatLady1! And you are negotiating any of the blips (meds, colace) quite well! I loved reading about your new Eddie Bauer blanket. It sounds perfect for a comfy hippie recovery. I absolutely adore new linens, towels, blankets, etc.. I live in an even smaller house, so I understand your 2 rules about new purchases! Linens especially can take up a lot of room. Those Venowave compression socks sound like a great idea - must be soothing. I wasn't given any special socks or anything like that to go home with. Wishing you a very happy Monday, fellow Jackpot Winner!
 
Love the sound of the blanket @CatLady1. Dog has just stolen the matted old wooly one my grandma crocheted in 1960-something!
[Bonesmart.org] CatLady1 - recovery thread
My feet are cold but I haven't the heart to move her!


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016. Posterior approach with ceramic on ceramic prosthesis.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Read your comments on the colace, ugh I know. Had an awful evening because of tummy truoble last night. It was definitely worse than any incision pain or swelling pain I've had so far. I'm wondering if cutting the Norco pills in half will cover the pain but allow my guts to get to somewhere normal again. My cats have been banned from my bed, the squirt bottle gets them going fast. Only one is interested in checking on me while I'm in bed anyway. Lucky you getting to do your laps outdoors. We have a snow day, so my 7 yr old is thrilled to be sledding at neighbors house.
 
@gardengal - I guess I am lucky to be recuperating in the south. I can't imagine it would be any fun living in a small place (here), being house bound, and trying to 'walk laps' in our LR. Today is cold enough... right now the temp is 37º, which I think will be today's high. I'm doing my ice pack exercises, then will probably go stroll the deck in an hour or so.

Today I've graduated to slowly walking with a cane. One of my co-workers brought me a cane made from tree limbs found on the grounds of our HOA community property (lots of the area is hilly / wooded). Back in the fall, he was into creating hiking sticks, canes, etc from the tree debris, and promised to make me one. I've also got an adjustable cane due in from Amazon today (wasn't sure his would be the needed height, or angle.) I'm sure they'll both come in handy reminding the cats where their space starts and stops, too.
 
I guess recovery is going well when you sleep through the 5 a.m. Norco med alarm, wake up at 7 a.m. and realize it's only two hours off and you should take it now, then at 9 a.m. wake back up and tell you're husband you woke up & took the meds (but a little late) and he looks at the pill bowl and declares you didn't take anything yet. I'm thinking I might be ready to change the schedule. ha ha. I'm also happy I'm sleeping through the night (wonder if that's a drug induced sleep??) :yes!:
The discomfort was there this morning - more like an ache feeling, but not anything excruciating. I decided to wait until 11 a.m. and get back on schedule. I'm going to move my meds to an 8 hr gap starting tonight so I don't have to be waking up for that (just a potty visit.)

A side effect of surgery -- all this sitting around makes me feel like I've eaten three Christmas dinners in a row and am getting fat!
 
Just curious if you've left the house yet? I know you have a deck or porch that you can get out to, but I'm talking about a car ride somewhere? I'm getting awful sick of being stuck in here but really going outdoors is going to require boots & bundling up. But I think I'm ready to do it. The best I've done is breathe some fresh air at the doorway. I agree those Norco sure do a pretty good job knocking me for sleep. But they do make me feel a bit groggy at times during the day and I'm on half tabs. Somebody must be doing some good cooking if you are feeling so satisfied. Me, I feel like I search around looking for something that just isn't in my kitchen or fridge & then settle for whatever I manage to put together. My husband hid a box of chocolate's that were sent to me b/c of this surgery. Well he was really hiding them from my 7 year old & they are in such a high cupboard I can't get to them!
 
@gardengal. Funny you should ask... My maiden venture out of our house was this morning. My husband is a contract adult education instructor for the local university (30 min away) and had made an appointment to stop by their office today. I took the opportunity to ride w him, knowing the campus is small enough with flat sidewalks. He dropped me off at the nearest doorway -- and I walked inside, sat for a bit in a regular chair, then walked back out. It's probably the same distance I walk at home. We're stopping for a few groceries now (I stayed in the car and let him do the shopping) then will stop off for Chinese to go and head home. The weather is great here- 61 and sunny right now.
I can feel the tightness in my hip and knee swelling a bit, but overall it's ok.

Norco makes me feel groggy / furry too. What is the strength you've cut in half? I'm on 5/325 four times a day-- was think thinking maybe I'd take the same dosage but stretch it to 3 times a day?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@CatLady1 - Very exciting you are sleeping through the night! Sounds heavenly. Your little outing must be nice - here and there and then Chinese - yum! Congrats on your "maiden venture". :ok:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom