THR Cathy's Recovery<

Good grief, Cathy - I'm tired just reading about how much you did over the weekend ! But yes, I know how easy is is to overdo, especially if you are feeling better, the weather is good AND it's the weekend [emoji106]

Congrats on sleeping in your own bed - nothing like it. I also graduated to my upstairs bed - I just have to be super careful going down the stairs at 5 am or so, desperate for a cup of coffee.

I'm getting out a little more - for a meeting also a lunch. Use my special foam cushion for the car and also small pillow for chairs - still need to think about hip precautions for 1 1/2 more weeks.

Moderating my PT to do 10-15 reps instead of 30 and skip a day now and then. I think that's helped my pain a lot, though I still lean, hobble and waddle due to soreness sometimes.

All in all I feel very fortunate and just hope to avoid any klutzy moves til I see the surgeon next week [emoji4]

Happy May 1st - glad there's lots of recuperation time left for us before summer starts [emoji122]

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Doing fairly well, Cathy. I know it's so easy to over do when starting to feel better. This is my last full week home before going back to work, as I will go back a week from Wednesday. I am taking the full 12 weeks off that I was written out for. I am not using the cane too much around the house but still use it most times when going out. Just started to not use it going out, depending upon where I am going. However, I find I do get more tired without the cane, so I know I am not quite "there" yet. Some of my various aches and pains have started to dissipate as things are settling. Although, my back is still giving me problems...I do have back issues so not all from the hip.

Hey kiddo - dropping by as promised. Pretty good day but we had a dump of snow yesterday so was restricted to our driveway. It had melted but the plow ridge hadn't and the fella doesn't want to shovel in May!! Who can blame him. Tomorrow he is taking the afternoon of work to drive home from Goose Bay and pick me up and then drive back in to the hospital for my physio appointment. I told them I hadn't been doing my exercises and they said they'd just check my strength and go from there. We'll see!
I'm getting around with a cane now which I find wildly liberating.
Glad you seem to be doing well and let's just kindly remind each other not yo be impatient jackasses okay?
Oh, I want to share a moment that exemplifies the levels of awareness my meditation has brought me to. The other day I was trying to nap when a squirrel entered the crawlspace below this room and started loudly chittering and chawing. I yelled st it to vamoose but it didn't give a care. I grabbed my grabber and started rapping on the floor with it. It broke apart into its lousy pieces. The squirrel kept on. The end.

Helloooo Cathy ! Just remembered it's our 6 week surgery anniversary and hoping you're doing well !

My problems now are not my hip, but are due to the knee-jarring klutzy moves I made. My PT guy found soft tissue areas near the knee that will just take time to improve so I'm careful not to overdo walking and i ice the knee instead of the hip !

My appt with surgeon for X-ray and to see if the hip precautions can be lifted was supposed to be tomorrow but sadly he had a death in his family so the appt will be in 10 days. Not a big deal at this point and I'm just feeling glad I'm doing as well as I am.

Hope you and Cheryl and your family are all doing okay and you are enjoying beautiful spring weather in super-green Vermont !

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Hey kiddo - how ya doing? We're having a long weekend up here in Canada - Victoria Day! If we lived in a more pleasant clime it'd be a nice drive to a scenic spot with a picnic basket, but instead it was a nice long walk on the beach and tomorrow I'll make Pear Clafoutie! Wish you and your gal could come by for dinner.

Hope you are well, or well enough!

Jan

HI back at ya! Would have loved to come for dinner :)
Hope you enjoyed your wknd. I had to look up what clafoutie was lol. Then I looked up a recipe. We still have some cherries in the freezer from last summer and that would make a tasty one so when I get around to it I might have to try one.

How's your recovery going? Mine is going pretty well these days. Of course I still would like to be done with it but when I am in the moment, things are going well. Been working hard to get strong to go home (of origin) I think I am pretty ready now. I am not done recovering but feel strong enough to go help out. Just trying to time things based on what's going on there and here. This is our long wknd, Memorial Day. We are trying to get our yard in shape for summer. Had some mulch and dirt delivered. I actually weeded a couple of our raised beds and did not feel too bad after whoohoo. I have this great garden kneeler that I can push myself back up with. We have 3 raised beds in our front yard and one in the back. We are moving the one in the back up front cuz it is just too shady back there. I have a couple of guys coming on Saturday to do it and spread the mulch on the flower beds. I told Cheryl, we just need to pay someone to do the work this year. we plant the usual, several different varieties of tomato, zukes and cukes and green beans, tomatillos. We planted some rhubarb and last year we planted a couple currant bushes and blackberries. We do a lot of picking too. We usually pick tons of blueberries and used to pick strawberries but that ended after my first surgery. I usually can some jam and chutney, some dilly beans and pickles. I love chutney and try different kinds but always make pear ginger chutney for my mom cuz it's her fav.

I've been a bit down lately and not sure why, so just trying not to judge myself too much for it and trying to make sure I keep my practice going to help stay grounded. I have a tendency to skip some of my meditation when I need them the most, but I catch on to myself pretty quickly haha.

Hope you are doing well and that your weather is improving a bit.
Cathy

Yay and yay and yay! Missed you on here.
I love gardening but don't bother here in Labrador. Our property is full of 90 foot white spruce and we're usually gone for a chunk of the tiny summer so... I'd like a feed of rhubarb! Yummy. Here in Labrador everyone is OBSESSED with berry picking - man, woman and child. The main berry is a partridge berry called red berry here abouts. It is like a cranberry but tastier and it's season is long. I love them. Besides other more familiar berries - wild blueberries, strawberries etc... there are cloud berries. I'm not keen on them, more of an acquired taste but the fella loves them. By September around here it is all anyone talks about - how much they picked, how many jars of jam set by, the best picking spots. It is understandable when you think of how my fella's grandparents lived. Berries would have been a godsend with such a limited diet.

Well time to get doll-making! Trying to mske three a week since I'm not going back to work until August.
Saw doc and xrays yesterday and had my first bath in seven weeks last night. Pure heaven! And walked on beach without cane.

Again, so glad to hear!
Jan

Ah that first bath IS heaven. Glad you are walking without the cane, bravo for you. I am pretty much back down to my one cane unless I am doing a mile, then I do two, but mostly I am down to one for trips to store and errands etc. Wow, good for you on being productive and creative while off. My creative juices have not seemed to be flowing much. Good for you with your dolls. I looked up those berries and what a pretty little flower before the berry on those partridge berries, so sweet!

August huh? From what I remember that is longer than you thought you'd not work? Hope that is ok for you, and also from what I remember, you'd rather not go back at all so this gives you some more time.

Onward and upward

@VThereandnow It is wonderful to hear that you are doing so well, Cathy! Your gardening and cooking projects sound wonderful and delicious! I'm having troubles finding a gardener/lawn maintenance crew to help me with my yard - it's just too big and over grown for me to tackle it right now :(

Hey you! Glad to hear you are getting through the recovery and seemingly doing well, albeit a bit down. The emotions & moods seem to go up and down at times but think it is all part of the journey. You also have outside the recovery issues going on in your life and am also sure that compounds it.

As for me, I am doing well. I don't have as much time to be "bonesmarting" as I am back to work full time. I try and check in each night to at least see how everyone is doing. I went back at exactly 12 weeks...wasn't quite ready but no reason to not go back. It was nice as I went back on a Wednesday so the first week back was not a full week. Each week I still feel an improvement in recovery.

Have a good weekend.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back