Guest viewing is limited

THR Cathy's Recovery<

Sounds like you are doing very well, @VThereandnow LOL I think everyone who has had hip surgery should have something - a tee shirt, wrist band, couch pillow - something they'd see every day that says "Oh, yeah, I just had hip surgery" (with additional items for kneesies and any other joint that's getting worked on) Plus maybe a player with Simon and Garfunkel's 59th Street Bridge Song playing over and over again .... "Slow down, you move too fast, gotta make the morning last, kicking down the avenue, looking for fun and feeling groooooovvvvvvyyyyy".
 
Cathy....happy to see that everything is progressing normally and smoothly. I love Deb's theme song suggestion. Just be careful as you "kick" on down the avenue. :)

Sharon
 
@VThereandnow Oh Cathy, Sounds just great! Each day is just a bit better than the last. I too feel like its time to get out and start doing stuff! And I'm thinking if I feel this good 13 days out I'm wondering how good I'll feel another week from now!
 
One of those days for me today. Yesterday was gorgeous but too hot...87. Just too hot, too quickly and the house was warm. We went to my dads for Easter and had a lovely afternoon. Today, I feel shot in the *ss and thinking the heat didn't help matters. My hip and operated leg feels good, so no complaint there. I also think my gait is getting better....believe me, not great but better. I was talking to a friend this morning and she asked how I was and said these other aches and pains are getting old. LOL. It's easy to say to others to have patience! The more I realize that this is all normal recovery and in the whole scheme of things, a relatively short time in my life, I am okay. However, I do have the moments and have them today, along with being wiped out. Oh well, we all have those days.
How are you doing today? I saw on one of your posts somewhere that you were in NYS before Vermont. Upstate NY has some very beautiful areas.
 
Yes @Nivea we lived in Syracuse for 15 years. It is pretty there but can't compare to the beauty of Vermont and looking out over lake Champlain and seeing the Adirondacks, quite breathtaking. I am good today, just a bit pooped. Had PT then a guy who is doing some painting for us came over to discuss the next two rooms. We got a couple rooms painted before surgery and now are doing the kitchen and dining room. Just could not squeeze it all in before. Then talked with my mom, then my sister, now I just want to chill a bit in my recliner. Did a short walk outside but don't feel like another. Maybe when Cheryl comes home from work....and yes, we all have those days :yawn:
 
Ahhh...Lake Champlain. It is gorgeous all throughout the state. I think we have been to nearly the whole state throughout the years. We have stayed in Killington and Stowe, but have taken many a road trip during our stays. We loved Burlington and did do a boat ride on the lake. Friends of my moms (from North Jersey) would go to Lake Champlain every year on vacation while raising their 3 daughters. They rented the same house, as did many others, so the girls grew up with the other kids. When my moms friends retired, they retired to Vergennes. We know someone whose daughter went to UVM, graduated 2015 and stayed up there, as she just loved it. At one point, my husband and I thought we'd retire to Vermont but not so sure now.

Painting...ugh. Having it done isn't as bad as doing it yourself but still needing to move furniture and whatnot. I don't like anyone in my house for those sorts of things. I am glad you are having a good day. Does Cheryl work long hours or is she home fairly regularly at the end of a regular business day? When we first had our son, my husband worked from 7am-5pm but he commuted into Philly and traffic was not great at 5pm, he wouldn't get home until 6pm-6:30 and it seemed like the looooooongest day. I was home with a baby and craving an adult to talk to. Now, at the other end of the spectrum and I am not minding the quiet time during the day. Although, I am sure if I was in pain, or feeling really miserable, I may not think the same.
 
@Nivea when we moved here we did not paint a thing, just plopped our furniture in and began. Just before surgery we got new furniture because our furniture was not comfortable fo me anymore and way too low. The recliner I am sitting in is new and oh so welcome in this recovery :) so of course with new furniture comes a different color for the room and since I could not paint, I hired someone. I am getting back on his schedule for May to give myself a few more weeks alone and so I am able to drive and be mobile if I want to leave. I am not a fan of having somone in the house for days but this guy is really nice and I like him a lot, now that I spend a few days with him already.

Cheryl has always been a bit of a workaholic, usually working too much. For my recovery she took a week off and has been coming home at a reasonable time so we can take a walk together after work. Today I texted and said I was pooped so don't worry about getting home for a walk. I think she got home around 6:45 which is still good for her lol. Honestly I do not know where the day goes and I am not even doing much. It is crazy.

Wow you have quite the vermont experience, so you DO know it's beauty. It is like living in a vacation destination. Well off to bed, until we talk again...Cathy
 
Hope you got good sleep last night. I actually slept well, however, still in the recliner. I'd rather be comfortable and sleep but so missing the bed.

Seriously, I wonder where the days are going as I don't have fully busy days. Hmmm, days drag when I am at work and am sure once I go back, I will be wanting to be home again.

Glad Cheryl was able to take some time off to care for you and shorten her days...somewhat. My husband went in late most mornings in the first few days after surgery. My husband isn't a true workaholic but puts in his time as he has to. Most days he's out of the house by 6:45am and home about 5:30. Me, on the other hand, well that's another story....lol. I'm 8:00 - 5:00 but it feels like it's a 12 hour day. Part of it is that our company was hit by the economic downturn in 2008, so we have gone from a 300+ person company and now have 20. I am fortunate to still be employed and they were very helpful with my pre op pain.

Time for a cup of coffee....
 
Last night I had my first crummy night of sleep. It was my back, not my hip. Not sure why, or what I did differently and I am not even going to complain about it as I have been so grateful for all the good nights I have had thus far. In fact I cannot even believe how well I have been sleeping. Maybe my tiredness yesterday was a precursor to things taking a dip. ...and of course one thing leads to another, not so good night of sleep, don't feel as well upon awaking, starting the day with more pain, mood a bit lower. ...and it is all ok, just observations. I absolutely know recovery is not a total forward trajectory. Sometimes there are some backsteps too. So I will enter the day a bit slower and be gentle with myself and take it from there.

...and guess what? Today is broken link removed: https://www.picgifs.com/smileys/ so it's all about me anyway haha
 
How did I miss this!? Happy birthday dear woman!
Sorry you had a crappy night - hope last night's was better. I finally had a fairly good sleep last night. What a difference. I think my pain is my back and too much time on it!
Later deario, here is a drawing I made...
Jan
[Bonesmart.org] Cathy's Recovery<
 
Had my first real outing Yoo-hoo! Cheryl surprised me, came home early with some of my favorite irises. I took a shower (promised I would not do without someone in house :/) and we went out for Thai food. Towards the end, the hard wicker chair was a bit uncomfortable but ahhhhh to be out and about and actually have clothes on besides sweat pants haha (a step up to jeans:) Made my birthday indeed!!

I know healing is an up and down proposition but I always like to try to find a reason for an abrupt change like I had 2 nights ago and here's what I am thinking. I have been slowing down the narcotics, one in a.m. and one in p.m. with Tylenol in between. That seems to be fine though I took what I needed yesterday. When I use the walker in the house, I have a pouch on the front that I can carry things like my coffee, phone, iPad etc. but when I use the canes I don't, so many times, especially in the kitchen, I am walking without, which means I am limping, which ends up giving my SI joint fits and makes the rest of my back hurt. It would be different if I only needed one cane for the op side, but since I have the weakness from the other screwed up surgery, I need two, so I have no hands free unless I lean one somewhere. This dos not matter outside, as I am just walking with the canes and don't need to carry anything. So for a couple days I am going to switch back to walker in house and canes outside and see if it makes a difference. I slept good last night but that was from extra drugs.

So that's my story, except my mom went into the hospital this a.m. She just got home 2 weeks ago. She is 87 and failing and it worries me greatly. My brother is in hospital also, for a bone marrow transplant and has been very sick. I actually considered delaying my surgery, but they both seemed to stabalize right before, so I went ahead. Good thoughts to both of them would be appreciated and to me to help me stay in the moment with it all.
Cathy
 
Sounds like a lovely birthday for you, especially considering you are in recovery mode. Sending prayers and good thoughts for your mom and brother.
 
Prayers and healing vibes going up for your Mom and Brother :prayer: Glad to hear you were able to have fun on your birthday ...... and great minds think alike ..... I'm going out for Thai food tonight for my birthday :)
 
A belated happy birthday to you Cathy and sending you big hugs. Having gone through a similar thing, I know how difficult a time it can be. Thinking of you all and wishing your mum, brother and yourself strength and healing.
Keep your chin up,
Diane x
 
I'll do tonglen for your mother and brother. Hard to be feeling less than vigorous when family members are struggling. Glad you had love, Thai and irises on your birthday.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom