Guest viewing is limited

THR Cathy's Recovery<

Great story great journey. I just got 39 staples out from TLHR and doing well. Take it easy
Rtk

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
 
Thanks for stopping by @rkirkup#16 you should make a thread for yourself so people can communicate with you on it and you can get the support you need.hooray on getting your staples out! I remember that well from my first surgery. This time mine are internal stitches. Hope you are feeling ok and moving forward at a pace that feels ok to you.
 
I had leg cramping too and found the electrolyte drinks worked a charm, it's great you're doing so well :)
 
@rkirkup#16
Just scoot on up to the top of the page where it says Help & Info and you'll find a section that says How To use This Forum.
That's a lot of staples.
@VThereandnow
You seem to be flying it.
Joe.
 
@Irish Joe I may not be flying lol but my other hip surgeries were very different and pretty difficult and this one is so manageable that I am actually a bit surprised. (She says as she ices the burning in her thigh haha) thanks for your thoughts and for filling in our Canadian friend in on creating a thread :)
 
Whew so glad to hear this time is being more manageable and giving you lots less difficulties! Ice, ice, baby ;) Sure hope you'll be back to kayaking by the time good weather settles in for the summer.

Some times I do miss New England. Would love to come back again some day.
 
:groan: Dang, what a difference a few hours makes lol. Still ok, but after just a few minor new things with PT and certain nerves coming alive, I gotta a "hunka hunka burnin somethin" going on in my thigh geez!! This too shall pass, this or shall pass :praying: Don't want to be a Polly Anna and act like there are no downs with the ups haha.
 
Anyone have any experience with burning spiking electric pain in heel off foot of operated hip?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
 
Really local feels like a burning golfball...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
 
Sorry, nothing in the foot, but I think anything going on in that leg is probably understandable. Blood pooling? swelling? Are You elevating enough? I think that was part of my issue. I was feeling good enough that I did not lay down enough. Hope it subsides and wish I could have been better help.
 
I had to put a small pillow under my operated leg ankle to keep my heel above the bed to avoid pain in my heel. That heel pain otherwise was pretty intense. This pain I describe was only when sleeping. It was not an issue when walking around or sitting during the day.
 
Good going. I think that you are doing so great but do remember not to over do. I also found my last hip replacement wasn't as bad as the other. Easy Does It! Keep up the good work. God Bless, Tashia
 
Hi neighbor, just realized you are from Vermont I am from Vermont to, good to see you on here I am still preop


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
How much swelling is too much? You'd think I would know this 3rd time around but I have surgery amnesia from the other two I guess lol.

@Jaycey my op leg is pretty swollen. Calf measured 1 inch larger than non op Leg and thigh about 1¾" more. There is some pooling in certain areas and that is sore to the touch. My leg is not as tight as it was when I first got home, it is squishier.

I am icing and elevating, alternating reclining with walking around the house and doing my beginning PT exercise. I do ice a lot. Is there any indication for heating the area to help with blood absorption? I have a lot of bruising but I know this is normal.

I did look at the articles on swelling/elevating, but did not see anything on how much is worrisome. -Tomorrow will be 1 week post-op, and thanks in advance :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
One week out is pretty early days. Swelling varies with every THR - even on the same person. I wouldn't use heat. Let's tag @Josephine for her input on this swelling.
 
Cathy - how about answering these?

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. how swollen is your leg? This image of swelling in knees should give you an idea
[Bonesmart.org] Cathy's Recovery<


5. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
Oh Cathy I'm sorry to read you're having some problems. Hope it will improve soon. I've also been having some ups and downs and I think I overdid some activities too. Take care !


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Josephine
1) anterior approach
2) pain level 4-5
3) dilaudid 2mg and Tylenol 500mg every 4-5 hours
4) moderate swelling to a bit more, but never huge
5) icing approx every 2 hours for 1/2 hour
6) elevating, feels like almost all the time, cept for eating
7) someone with me all week so only activity is me getting up to eat, walking with walker every hour around the house and doing my post op exercises

In home PT 2X week

8) Except for heel pumps, which I do more, all exercises are 10 reps, 3X a day

Heel pumps
Lying hip flexion (heel slides)
Lying hip abduction
Isometric glute tightening
Isometric quad tightening
Holding onto Walker Standing hip and knee flexion with op leg ( left out since swelling)
Calf raises
Holding onto Walker 1/4 squat (left out since swelling)

NOTE: physical therapist was here today and told me she was not worried but we needed to get the swelling under control. She told me I was not elevating properly while being in the recliner, and showed me how high she expects me to elevate and that I needed to lay flat in bed several times a day too to elevate also. I have been spending most of my time in recliner.

I know you say hips resolve themselves but this did not seem like much to me,
I also know you are busy, so thank you for taking the time Josephine
 
Last edited by a moderator:
2) pain level 4-5
Well you are only one week out so this is not out of the way.
3) dilaudid 2mg and Tylenol 500mg every 4-5 hours
Do you feel this works well?
4) moderate swelling to a bit more, but never huge
That's about par for the course.
physical therapist was here today and told me she was not worried but we needed to get the swelling under control.
I don't tend to agree with her. Moderate swelling is quite normal right now and one week out is still a bit early to be getting in a fret about it though I'm glad she advised you about elevating properly.
5) icing approx every 2 hours for ½ hour
You accomplish little or nothing in 30 minutes. Ice for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day.
7) someone with me all week so only activity is me getting up to eat, walking with walker every hour around the house and doing my post op exercises
Hmm!
In home PT 2X week
exercises are 10 reps 3X a day
Heel pumps
Lying hip flexion (heel slides)
Lying hip abduction
Isometric glute tightening
Isometric quad tightening
Holding onto Walker Standing hip and knee flexion with op leg ( left out since swelling)
Calf raises
Holding onto Walker ¼ squat (left out since swelling)
I know you say hips resolve themselves but this did not seem like much to me
Well it's true and and the main issue with what you are doing are the exercises! You don't need them. In fact, they can be positively counter-productive for a THR.

This was posted early with the recovery articles in post #14 but I'll repeat them here again for you.

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom