TKR Carole’s recovery thread

She agreed that that session was too much? She gave you full approval to quit PT? I cannot even possibly imagine that my PT would ever dream of doing either, even though my last session injured my knee (which is now almost recovered, though).

At my initial visit, the PT insisted on a goal for me. She stated my goal should be walking for an hour without resting. This after all my years of severe mobility problems. I told her that was unrealistic and 10 minutes would be a better goal, but I think she wrote down an hour so now she can point out that I haven't met "my" goals.
I've just read the above in an earlier post. That PT's attitude is outrageous.
It's your knee and you're in charge of its recovery. Others, such as your PT therapist and your surgeon, can advise, but you have the right to choose whether or not to accept that advice. You have the right to stop PT whenever you decide to do so.

I realise you didn't want to give yourself problems with your surgeon, but you're a responsible adult with the understanding and the right to decide what happens to your own body.

Your knee is having a good recovery, which is great, and you're sensible enough to not do anything that would jeopardise its recovery.
 
Woohoo!!! I'm so glad everything went just as you hoped!

You're FREE!!!! :rotfl::rofsign:
 
Oh that’s fabulous news!! how well you have done!!!

It’s good to think you can consider getting the other done early next year too..

Hope you enjoyed your celebrations..xx


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thanks, everyone!

Today my sweetie took me to the largest mall around, which is also failing so the parking lot was nearly empty. The point was to give me a place to practice driving before hitting the streets. It was easy, and even a pretend emergency stop (screech!) didn't bother my knee at all.

After that I drove nine miles home, all on the busiest 6-lane street imaginable. Lots of traffic and crazy drivers, but I felt comfortable, my reaction times were normal, and my knee did not hurt one bit. So, my happy news for Day 50 is that I can drive now.

Then he adjusted my cane to the same length as his, since I can't seem to use mine but his feels more suitable. Maybe mine was just the wrong length; we'll see.
 
You're doing great! And good job on driving again. Now you're free to begin the next part of your recovery-taking back even more of your life. I'm sure you won't overdo and will take things gradually, but the point is you can now start doing stuff instead of just dreaming about it. Keep up the good work!
 
Oh it’s great to read that. You are well on your way now. Congrats
 
I'm so happy for you and the outcome with your OS!!

Isn't it funny the things that stress us, only to have them turn out to be completely a positive result!!
 
That's great news, Carole, I'm happy for you! I'm reminded of the song in Pinocchio, "I've Got No Strings to Hold Me Down" Next you and Sweetie will be out dancing the night away.
 
My cane is technically the correct height, but now that I walk standing up straight rather than hunched over, it feels too short. Good luck with this adjustment. You still have a gimpy knee that needs support. And frankly, I like my cane because people see it and give me space.
 
Since you're tall, it's logical that your cane should be longer.
Canes: make sure your cane/walking stick is the correct height
Thanks for the linked article! I'll go read it now. Late last night I did length the cane by one notch more after he adjusted it, because after trying it, it still seemed too short. (Previously it was way shorter than that.) He is shorter in stature than I am.

(Edited to add: Wow!!! Even now, it is STILL 1"-2" too short. No wonder it was so wobbly before; it must have been almost 6" too short, and bending over like that, I was probably putting way too much weight on it. THANK YOU!!!)
 
Last edited:
My cane is technically the correct height, but now that I walk standing up straight rather than hunched over, it feels too short. Good luck with this adjustment. You still have a gimpy knee that needs support. And frankly, I like my cane because people see it and give me space.
Glaring at people with laser like beams of fury coming from each eye, helps one to get space, too. :rotfl:
 
What a nice afternoon! Since I can drive, at last, I drove us to the restaurant and we had lunch (small caesar side salad for me, with water to drink.... yum).

Then on the way home, I stopped at Trader Joe's. First time I have been capable of going into a grocery store in three years! It was so crowded there; maybe next time I'll go at a less popular time of day. Anyway I picked up:

(1) a dozen eggs, and
(2) a container of yogurt.

I can deal with a more extensive shopping list another day. Today was just a test run.

My sweetie let me do everything, because I want to be able to do all of this independently soon. When we got home I put it all away, got hooked up to the ice machine (which he filled for me), and here I am.

Suddenly life is not only returning to normal... but in many respects it is becoming BETTER than normal because I couldn't do this before TKR. But then I guess that's the whole point of what we are going through.

:loveshwr::yes!::egypdance::spin::yay:
 
Such an interesting blog and aspirations to all us newbies
Congratulations xx
 
Suddenly life is not only returning to normal... but in many respects it is becoming BETTER than normal because I couldn't do this before TKR. But then I guess that's the whole point of what we are going through.
Isn't it wonderful?!!! So many things we didn't properly appreciate before our knees went bad.
And just thing how amazing it will be next summer with 2 good legs! Sky's the limit!!

Good thing you don't have aspirations for world domination.
:bow::loll:
 
@luvcats , we'll be doing wonderfully by summertime. :) I have no idea what to expect from my knees by then, but each day is a nice surprise, lately.

No aspirations for world domination here, how about you? :heehee: My goal is to just continue my serene and happy retired life, but with knees that work.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom