Guest viewing is limited

TKR Careful what you wish for

Awesome! Wish I was you 9 weeks ago - hoping you keep on the same trajectory!
 
Hi @Reebok I agree celebrate the good things and funny how everytime you look back how many good things you will find along your way through your recovery time and after to. You sound like you have a great attitude and this will help you along to if any bumps come along the way. We all have a common goal to be painfree and get through this with as llittle stress as possible. Ferntree Gully sounds like a nice place what a great name . Wishing you continued success. Holly
 
Have been using a single crutch, today had a short walk with no crutch, no cane.
Maybe twenty steps, but felt fantastic. Stood tall and straight, and it seemed something that I could continue with. Didnt, caution is there for a reason.
Have done this a few more times today.
Still using the single crutch, mainly to stand up, not confidant of doing that without a crutch. The transition is the tricky part. I have a new admiration and respect for people with a BKTR to recover from.
 
Hi @Reebok Great you are using one crutch. I used my walker for the first many weeks could not have switched to just a cane that early mainly for the fear of falling and nothing to hang onto. I started to use a cane just before I started to drive and then nothing kept loosing it. Think it will be easier this time for me as last time 2 unsteady knees this time with my left knee I will have one strong knee to help me manage. Be careful nice to hear you are doing great .
 
One really important issue you have not yet addressed.
if you are from Melbourne what footy team do you barrack for? :chinstroke:
Husband brought up to follow Geelong , me Fitzroy , since coming to Sydney we have the swans as or " other team" :yahoo:

Your posts are SO encouraging, more power to you. I am sure lots of people are be benefitting. from your story. Look forward to hearing more.
 
Quick update.
Rom not where I want it, but probably on track, type A personality gets in the way again!
Can almost straighten the leg, more than 90 bend.
Sleeping 6-7 hrs at night, down to 2 x oxycodone a day, otherwise just panadol. Bed is not the most comfortable place.
Walking around at home without any sticks, walk straighter that way. Trying to remember to straighten leg on followthru, bend at end of stride.
Leg hangs easier now, swings easy.
Boredom may be the worst enemy I have to face in the next few weeks. Everything else is quite good.
 
One really important issue you have not yet addressed.
if you are from Melbourne what footy team do you barrack for? :chinstroke:
Husband brought up to follow Geelong , me Fitzroy , since coming to Sydney we have the swans as or " other team" :yahoo:

Your posts are SO encouraging, more power to you. I am sure lots of people are be benefitting. from your story. Look forward to hearing more.

The mighty bombers. More appropriate since I seem to enjoy chemical enhancement
 
[Bonesmart.org] Careful what you wish for
[Bonesmart.org] Careful what you wish for
Yes, sir, @Reebok, these little milestones put the biggest smiles on our faces and have us doing the happy dance!
 
:wow: Hey it's all relative!!!

Years ago there was a Hagar the horrible cartoon that had Hagar and his mate tied to a stake with all manner of spear waving foes coming at them. So lucky eddy says to Hagar " you know one day we'll look back and laugh at this" :dubious:

I loved it , kept it for years. So here's to LOLs later on remembering these " triumphs" :rotfl:

Btw, I used to work in Essendon, have good memories of windy hill. Poor old jimmy H . Maybe next year :shrug:
 
You're doing well!
 
Day 14 and all good
Swelling going down, only 2cm difference between left and right knee. No bruising evident.
Walking a bit easier.
Exercises a doddle now.
6-7 hrs sleep in one stint. And a nap in the afternoon
Pain is managed with panadol only now. I would describe pain as uncomfortable rather than pain.
Of course it has its moments!
On track - I just have to be patient now and just stick to the plan.
 
@Reebok you are doing great. Your surgery was a day after mine. I am also walking around without any help but still use my walker for balance if outside. My pain like yours is more just uncomfortable. I don't take any meds during the day just at night for a good night sleep. Seems to be working fine. Keep up the good work.
 
@Reebok G'day
Have been reading your posts from day to today and your recovery has been very good. Your surgery was one day ahead of me, but your progress is plus, plus. You have a very positive & realistic approach to your recovery and celebrate the small achievements !

Would love 6-7 hours of night sleep , usually wake around 1:30/2:00 am and again about. 4:30/5:00 with discomfort - not pain and get up to spend a penny & renew the ice cuff and fall back to sleep.
Great to hear that you are walking around the house without sticks and yes remembering yo walk straight and follow thru with bend in knee is a new learned motion.

I'm staying on in the rehab facility for another week until Wednesday 6 August. Plan for a short day trip over the weekend to a local coffee shop for an hour or so, to get used to life in the real world!

Take care and keep on doing what you're doing, it is certainly working for you.
 
The weather here in melbourne has been a bit wet n wild.
70-80 kmh winds for the past day, and today showers easing into thunderstorms.
It stopped raining today long enough for me to venture outside and go for a walk. Cabin fever is real.
Took the cane, just in case, and did a circuit out the front of my house, about 200 metres each lap.
Did 3 laps, and went inside, didnt want to overdo it. If no bad effects from this, i will do more tomorrow.
Tried the exercise bike last night, couldnt manage a whole rotation, not enough bend yet. Will try again, and gently coax the leg into full rotations, it may take a week, or a month, will take it as it comes.
Had nine hrs sleep last night, with only one wake. Been four days now with no oxycodone, just panadol. Have been sleeping on my side for afternoon naps, it is weird sleeping on my back, but is still uncomfortable on my side.
 
:hi: @Reebok
Good Morning from Dublin. at about 7:15am - Friday.
Great to hear that you are getting a good long sleep at night and without pain meds. I wake almost like I have an internal
Clock at about 1:30 & 4;30 am to spend a penny and then back to sleep until just before 7 am.
Yes, the cabin fever is real. You feel part of the outside world, but spend most of the day inside. The short little walks are great to clear the head, as well as for exercise . Luckily, the Irish summer is holding. & I can get out to walk in the grounds a few times each day .
I use a floor pedal unit as opposed to a real bike. You sit in a chair, place the pedal unit at various distances from my feet and pedal away for about 4 minutes/ 3 times per day. The further you sit away from the unit the easier to get a full
Rotation and each day you move the unit closer to your feet and getting a full rotation is more of a challenge.
Going to buy a unit from Argos ( UK & Irish catalogue store) for €55,00 to use st home. If I was to buy a very similar unit at a specialist Physio supply store it cost €199.95 !
Have a good day and keep doing what you're doing g, it seems to be working for you.
 
Hi @Reebok You are really progressing along amazingly. Nice to hear that things are going so well for you still early in your recovery time great example to everyone how to get through this whole thing. Have a great painfree day and a nice weekend. Holly
 

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom