Guest viewing is limited

TKR CaliGirl's post op journey.

Odd they didoing their job. dn't know to reassure A MOM! LOL.
They were probably busy, doing their job. There is no one appointed to keep in touch with relatives.
 
They decided to keep me in for one more night, which I'm fine with. Major factor in that decision is my difficulty with stairs, and the need to climb 3 to get info my house.

Just discovered that nucenta isn't covered by insurance, so the pain management doctor will have to figure something else out.

I got up 4 times last night to pee, and each time walking was a little easier. With a shot of Dilaudid, I was able to do a pretty comfortable lap of the ward, with only one sitting break. The PT was impressed and had me start improving my gait a little.

They took the drain out of my knee along with the heavy bandaging, so now I can actually feel the ice therapy machine. Nice.

The hospital food really sucks, so a wonderful friend is going to pick something up for me from a local deli. Can't wait.
 
I hope you enjoy your well earned dinner. I was prescribed Nucynta as an outpatient and it wasn't covered by my insurance but it didn't cost any more paying for it myself then the copay was for a medication that was covered. So you might want to have someone call your pharmacy so you can use it when you get home. Check to see if the hospital can still give it to you. Maybe the social worker can call if you have no one else. Don't leave the hospital without the right prescription.
 
Hope you get your pain meds sorted x

LTKR 11 May 2016
 
Still in hospital but being released today. The pain management doctor is prescribing oxycontin instead of Nusynta. They gave me oxycontin as part of my pre op meds and I didn't have a bad reaction to it (no nausea). Don't know about the efficacy of pain relief because I was on a whole cocktail of stuff including a nerve block, so I felt fine. I'm optimistic it will be a good substitute.

Going into this my biggest concerns were pain management and nausea, and I'm happy to say they've handled both beautifully.

Was able to do a non-stop lap around the ward this morning. Also practiced on a stair. My plan is to go up backwards. Sounds strange but it is easier for me. If that doesn't work out I'll go up forward on crutches. I will be happy to be home, that's for sure - even though I have had great care here from everyone.
 
Great report. Let us know how it's going once you're all settled in at home.
 
From your reports, it sounds like you got good care at the hospital. The extra day no doubt helped you to be ready to be at home. I'm sending healing thoughts your way, and hope you are comfortable at home.
 
I am at home. Riding in the car wasn't the most comfortable experience, but thankfully it wasn't a long drive. I did go up the stairs backwards, which was much easier for me (and quite impressed my husband).

My trip home wore me out. I collapsed into my recliner, wrapped the ice therapy pad around my knee and dozed off. Woke up pretty stiff.

I was able to walk from the living room along the hallway, through the master bedroom and into the bathroom. Hubby install toilet rails, but not a raised toilet seat. That worked very well for me. In the hospital they got a raised commode, which they placed over the toilet. I'm fairly short, so every time I sat on it my feet dangled, which was extremely painful for my surgical leg. I'm much better with the standard height toilet and rails to raise and lower myself with.

I bought the leg doctor footrest thing. That certainly didn't work well on my recliner. I'll try it in bed and on the couch. I haven't been able to properly elevate my legs, even in the hospital, and know I need to do so. I also didn't factor in how hard it is to raise your leg that high.

They sent me home with the following meds:

Oxycodone HCL 15 mg, 1 tablet every 6 hours as needed.

Gabapentin 300 mg capsule, 1 capsule every night at bedtime.

Famotidine (Pepcid) 20 mg, 1 tablet twice a day for acid reflux.

Zofran 4mg. 1 tablet by mouth every 6 hours for nausea.

325 mg enteric coated aspirin, 1 tablet twice a day for 2 weeks, followed by 1 tablet by mouth once a day for 4 weeks, to prevent blood clots.

Tomorrow I will resume using the CPM machine. It really helps with the stiffness. I'm going to dial it down a bit from the current settings of 75 and -10. I'm thinking maybe 60 and +5, and then increasing it once I can do that comfortably. The ultimate goal is 110 and -10.
 
Welcome home. I'm sure you will be much more comfortable there. I use there staggered stack pillows so that gets my leg and knee elevated so the swelling goes down. I got a foot rest type pillow for my revision but it doesn't work for me on my recliner either. Try to sleep when you can. Be careful not to overdo. You probably walked a lot farther to the bathroom then you had to in the hospital. Get the ice ready and I hope you get some sleep tonight.
 
Glad you're home. I alway started the cpm low for a couple of minutes to loosen up and then gradually increased over the course of a session.
 
Glad you're home and have all that behind you. I know some don't like the CPM, but I actually did like it. I think part of the reason, for me anyway, was I wasn't up to doing a lot of strolling around for a while, and the CPM kept my leg a'movin. Plus it felt soothing as long as I kept it where I was comfortable, and pushed the numbers at my own pace. Long term it may have had no purpose, but short term it was worth it. Backwards up stairs...sounds creative! I suspect you're using crutches? If so, you're a champ on them-I can barely go forward with them. I'm not top heavy but I sure walk with them like I'm going to topple forward, and have, more than once.....:rotfl: Take it easy, elevate and :ice::ice::ice:!
 
@kneeper I did exactly the same thing you did with the CPM machine, started it off with less flexion and extension, and gradually increased both numbers as I got more warmed up.

@lovetocookandsew no I'm using a walker. To get into my house you have to go up one regular depth and height step, followed by a lower height step up onto the porch, then a small step up and over the threshold. I have no handrails. In the hospital, we were practicing with one stair - really a step up onto a platform. Once the walker was on the platform, it was difficult for me to put enough downward force to take pressure off my surgical leg, so stepping up hurt like heck. Going down, my walker was beneath me, so I was easily able to transfer my weight to the walker while I stepped down. So going up the stairs, I backed up so my ankles were against the step. I leaned onto my walker and went up with my good leg, then brought up my surgical leg. I then put the walker so it was partially on the stair I was on, and partially on the ground. I had my friend hold the walker and brace the front wheels, and repeated the process, going up with the good, bringing up the surgical leg, then pulling up the walker. There was enough room on the porch to turn around, and the threshold was much shorter, so I did that step up forward.

@Celle thank you for the link on elevation. The lounge doctor pillow worked very well on my bed, with my knee wrapped in the ice machine pad. The ice therapy machine my surgeon ordered is SO much better than the one my friend lent me.

Unfortunately, my stupid insurance company doesn't authorize Nusynta, which is the long acting opioid they were giving me in hospital (with Dilaudid for breakthrough pain). We didn't discover this until I was being released, so we didn't have much chance to try alternatives. They prescribed me oxycodone, and even taken with Zofran is making me horribly nauseous, now that I've taken a few doses of it. Besides Toradol, there's nothing opioid related on my insurance formulary that doesn't make me sick. Nusynta is over $500 if I were to just buy it myself, so that's out of the question. I will see how I do this weekend with Tylenol, and will call and talk to the surgeon's office on Monday about any possible alternatives - or jumping through the hoops to get Nusynta specially authorized for me. I'll keep you posted.
 
Ahhhhhh-I get the picture. I can't do the walker on my steps into the house without someone holding it also as my steps are less deep than the walker. Yet, we somehow manage, don't we? That's horrible about the pain meds. I won't be leaving the hospital until we give the new pain medicine my doctor wants me to try a good tryout-I can't try new meds at home anymore due to the reactions I've had in the past. I don't even start on oral meds in the hospital until I get a couple of good meals in me. I can't believe they wouldn't keep you there longer to try another pain med. Are you taking the Dilaudid at home? I really hope your tummy settles down-I can't imagine a TKR with only Tylenol for pain relief! That stuff won't even take away a headache for me. I've had to be readmitted for pain relief in the past so we always make sure I'm settled before I go home now. I hope you can get your pain down without having to do that-it's no fun to have to go back.
 
@lovetocookandsew I was under the impression that they were giving me oral Dilaudid (in hospital it was always IV), but that wasn't part of the prescriptions I was given.

Thankfully I'm doing amazingly well, and as long as I follow the bonesmart mantras should do fine on Tylenol. I've also got gabapentin at bedtime. I will follow up with the surgeon on Monday to have real pain control options as necessary - ones that don't make me sick.
 
Oh dear, that's not good news about the meds, especially as you found one that was working for you.Are there any other anti sickness drugs you can try? They tried several with me to no avail, but I've since read about a patch some people find effective, I wish I'd been able to try it, obviously the benefit is you don't have to swallow it. Paracetamol with codeine gives slightly better pain relief than paracetamol alone though it's not great,
even I can tolerate the small amount of codeine in that. Maybe now you are home your GP can help?
Thinking of you, hope you get some help, pain and/or sickness is no fun.
Love Tabbs xxx
 
I posted my last comment before I read your latest one. I hope you get somewhere with the surgeon. Keep us posted.
 
Gayna,
If there is a medication that controls your pain but isn't covered by insurance you can contact the pharmaceutical company that manufactures it and many of them have coverage coupons they will give in this situation. I'm talking, 100% of the cost of the med. My fiancé' has used this option many times especially after surgery and it's very simple. You can ask your pharmacist for more information. They have the info on who manufactures each med and how to contact them! I'm currently on 5-10mgs of oxycodone every 6hrs as needed for pain. I'm not 'comfortable' but I'm not crying- lol! While in the hospital I had low oxygen and when my PT took a reading today it was still low. I'm breathing deep breaths often but I understand this can be a symptom of using oxycodone. I tried earlier this evening to cut back to only 5mgs but it didn't go very well. Hope you can remedy your pain soon! Update: Actually I just found some excellent information at: broken link removed: https://www.nucynta.com/savings-card
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Suz Thank you, thank you, thank you! I will definitely be looking into that and asking my surgeon to put me back on that.

In other news, the poop fairy finally visited this morning. :chuckmarch::yay: I'm feeling much better.

Made it through the night without any pain meds. Didn't sleep well, but didn't have horrible pain either. Hardest part is finding a comfortable position - and then not moving.

Home pt is coming for the first visit today. I'll let you know how that goes. I'll be certain to tell him up front that I'm on no pain meds, so he can adjust his expectations.

I am having this strange feeling - I remember it from before my surgery. I believe it's called "hunger." :snork: Well, I think I'm going to go and actually eat something.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom