Knee Infection* Cakes 2114 - Knee Recovery Thread

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
As long as acetaminophen agrees with you it is ok to take 2 extra strength, which will equal 1,000 mg per dose. I took this every 6 hours, round the clock, which obviously means a dose during the night. Keeping it in your system regularly helps it work better.

You can take up to 4,000 mg in a 24 hour period. Make sure none of your other medications have acetaminophen in it. If they do, make sure you do the math so that you don’t go over the 4,000 daily limit.

OP
OP
Cakes2114

Cakes2114

Country
As long as acetaminophen agrees with you it is ok to take 2 extra strength, which will equal 1,000 mg per dose. I took this every 6 hours, round the clock, which obviously means a dose during the night. Keeping it in your system regularly helps it work better.

You can take up to 4,000 mg in a 24 hour period. Make sure none of your other medications have acetaminophen in it. If they do, make sure you do the math so that you don’t go over the 4,000 daily limit.
Fantastic information! I will definitely check the meds and make adjustments if any have acetaminophen

thank you!

OP
OP
Cakes2114

Cakes2114

Country
Some good news I can walk with my cane! I was actually surprised since I have been non weight bearing for over two months but I gave it a whirl today after the doctor called and approved it... and I can walk with a cane!
I did find out we will be moving slow with my Physical Therapy. There is some issues with my patellar tendon. They want to go slow for the next two weeks and keep the flexion to 45 degrees. I can full weight beat with a cane and hopefully by 2 weeks I can move more aggressively.
Overall pain is manageable. Today I have had some pain behind my knee. I don’t remember having that before but it is ok with pain meds (Dilaudid and acetaminophen), Ice is my new best friend. It truly does help!

I do have to go back to see the doctor on Monday to get the wound vac off. They will be putting a new packing on my knee (the PA is very concerned on the packing because of the instability of the patellar tendon). Which I am honestly shocked about I never had an issue with my patellar tendon before but I am sure my knee is just difficult since this was surgery 13
I was also sent home with a CPM which I am excited about because it means the next two weeks with no PT my knee will still be moving. Only 45 degrees but it is better then nothing.
so now I will do the CPM to 45 degrees, work in walking with the cane, ankle pumps, leg lifts (but they are hard right now because my quad still sleeping), extension when not using the CPM and ice... lots of ice.

If anyone has an explanation of the behind the knee pain let me know. Or experience with a patellar tendon issue after TKR
79057144-8D18-4A84-811D-AE6C64E063D7.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cakes2114

Cakes2114

Country
Hey everyone I had my wound vac removed the other day. They have put on Aquacel dressing on my knee for the next week. It is waterproof and seems to have a ton of benefits.

Has anyone else had this put on?

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JennyLynne

post-grad
Country
I’ve had aquacel on both knees and it is great! I love being able to shower immediately!!

OP
OP
Cakes2114

Cakes2114

Country
Here is some progress so far
567336CC-BAFA-4C26-956C-AC0EE49F5357.jpeg

PegGar16

post-grad
Country
Hi @Cakes2114. Happy yo see that everything is working out well for you and that they were able to do the final stage so quickly. Make sure you pay attention to what is going on with the patella tendon and don't over do it. :)

OP
OP
Cakes2114

Cakes2114

Country
Hi @Cakes2114. Happy yo see that everything is working out well for you and that they were able to do the final stage so quickly. Make sure you pay attention to what is going on with the patella tendon and don't over do it. :)
I never thought there would have been an issue with the patellar tendon. I was actually shocked after stage 2 they mentioned it and had me in a brace going from 0-45 degrees for the first two weeks.
I have not restrictions now and and using the cane or even slowly cruising with no cane.

What are some things to look for with regards to the patellar tendon?

PegGar16

post-grad
Country
Did they tell you what the issue was or what they did to it? When mine ruptured I found that I could not lift the bottom part of my leg......sitting on the exam table with my legs bent and hanging over the side I could not lift my foot to straighten the leg.

OP
OP
Cakes2114

Cakes2114

Country
Not fully ruptured but tears throughout. Between kneecap dislocations as a kid through my mid twenties to the multiple issues with knee replacements it has a lot of wear and tear.
They did the brace and flexion locking to avoid a rupture. I don’t think I can extend from a flexed state now. I am sure at physical therapy I will find out more tomorrow but I am ready to get started on the road to recovery ASAP

PegGar16

post-grad
Country
Sounds like we have the same history. My started dislocating when I was 16 (high school sports) . Got to a point where I would hit a door jam and it would pop out. After my infection cleared up they did a transplant with the new knee. All is good :)

OP
OP
Cakes2114

Cakes2114

Country
Sounds like we have the same history. My started dislocating when I was 16 (high school sports) . Got to a point where I would hit a door jam and it would pop out. After my infection cleared up they did a transplant with the new knee. All is good :)
You definitely give me hope! Thank you:happydance:

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
[email protected]
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom