Guest viewing is limited

TKR Bye bye bone, hello chrome!

You are still so early in recovery. Please give yourself permission to continue to heal by resting! Your body takes time to recover from such a major assault, which this surgery is.
Lots of tissue still to heal. The energy drain is real. At 6 weeks, just getting dressed in the AM required a rest period afterwards. I think I could do one thing a day and needed to rest for the remainder of the day.
 
Thanks, @mamazipp, I think it was a day or two of feeling overwhelmed. I am almost normal this week!

Today I went to the PT, and she said that the max flexion most knee replacements can get is 120-is this true?? I was hoping for 130, I need to sit on the floor for my job so was hoping for a little more. I was at 120 today and she said that is usually the goal for PT. I did a little research and some orthosis allow more flexion-not sure if mine does??? Answers anyone? I'll go back and look in the library.
 
Your OS can tell you how far he was able to bend your knee approximately during surgery. I can tell you in my case I actually can flex to 130 which was greater than my OS thought I would do. There is still a log of time that you can pick up greater flexion. It just seems that 120 is an arbitrary number set by some therapist as the end point. I fact you really don't need to worry about exercising. Just do your normal day to day activities.
 
My knee flexes to 130 now, but it took a few months. You can send for your operative report which will note your flex after implant. 120 right now is very good.
 
Thanks, @newlybionic and @mamazipp, my PT gave me the impression that some knee orthotics won't bend past a certain point-she thought the average was 120. I read my surgical report, and after the surgery they were able to bend my knee to 135, -does this mean I should be able to get that range of motion? I think if the surgeon was able to bend it, the orthosis does not stop at 120, correct??? Thanks!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I would think if the surgeon was able to bend your knee to135 then you will probably be able to eventually (key word) get to that point. It can take up to a year or more. Unfortunately you can't rush it. Your knee is the boss.
 
Thanks! I agree! (it's a little swollen tonight from a week of returning to "normal" activity).
 
Today is 8 weeks, I keep adding a week so thought I was at the 9 or 10 week point, so had to look at a calendar to make sure. Last week my daughter and grand children were here, so we were busy all day, every day, going to parks and caring for babies. I had to get up and down off the floor quite a bit to play with my 9 month old grandson (and chase him before he got to electrical outlets because my house isn't baby proofed!). The week was a good work out for me, and by the end of the week my endurance had improved. Now to remember to keep busy now that they are gone.

I am going to physical therapy twice a week and working on learning how to use muscle groups and improve my balance. I am able to walk up and down steps (had to work on aligning my knee). I was able to walk up my porch steps which don't have a railing so I'm happy about that (I need to get a railing but my balance was okay). I've been off all meds for several weeks and driving, so I seem to be feeling "normal", but still ice my knee at night.

All is going well and I'm looking forward to increasing my activities-trying some activities I haven't been able to do for a while, but right now I'm very happy with being able to walk and participate in daily activities without pain!
 
Yay! Ending week 8 and was measured at 125 degrees of flexion at PT today. Working on weird balance platforms and standing on one foot on a ball disc. I have a few weeks left before starting work so did too much on cleaning the basement yesterday, doing nothing today. I guess I never learn!
 
Your bend is super! Way to go! Be careful to not overdo. You'll pay for it!
 
Thanks @sistersinhim I am happy and 130 degrees is my goal. I see that you and I have the same type of knee replacement-did your OS say there is a limit of flexion on the Depuy Attune? I couldn't find any info online. Thanks ahead of time!
 
You're doing well. Congratulations. But do take it easy.....you're still healing.
 
I am happy and 130 degrees is my goal. I see that you and I have the same type of knee replacement-did your OS say there is a limit of flexion on the Depuy Attune? I couldn't find any info online.
130 degrees is a good target. While some knee replacements will bend further than that when outside your body, 130 is realistic after the operation. Bend more than that on a regular basis, and it could pre-dispose to wearing out the spacer prematurely:
Dangers of over-flexing a TKR
 
Hello Layla. I never asked him what the limits or expectations were of the implant. I didn't even asked until after my surgery. All I really cared about was being able to do the things I wanted to do, which so far, I'm pretty close to that already!
 
@sistersinhim, I never thought to ask either up until last week. Someone here suggested to look at my surgical report, which I got at my post-op (thought the PT needed it), so never even looked at what type of knee implant or ROM until last week when my PT thought the max they all bend is 120 degrees. Thank goodness for this board otherwise I wouldn't have tried to bend it any further!
 
I'll be 12 weeks post-op on Monday and going back to work. Question: all along I've had some pressure/pain at the head of the fibula (bony part outside and below the knee). I've read some info about it with no clear answers. I think massaging that area helps, but hope it's not a long term problem.

Also, I've asked this question before-do knee replacements every feel "normal"? I had my hip replaced last year and I have never been aware the replacement part, it feels like part of my body. My knee, no matter how much ROM I get, still feels "stiff" all the time. Ideas?

Thanks ahead of time!
 
Well, 7 months out and I still have stiffness, esp. upon waking up in the morning and after sitting awhile. Plus the clicking/knocking sound when walking. I only hear it inside, not outside.
I hope that the stiffness goes away but we'd have to hear from longer term TKRers.
Sorry I can't be more encouraging!!!
 
My knees are two years and almost 5 years old. They still feel a bit stiff first thing in the morning and after I've been sitting still for a while, but the stiffness wears off after I take a couple of steps.
For the rest of the day, my knees feel completely normal and I often forget that they are bionic.

It may take a while yet, but I'm sure your knees will eventually feel "normal". Do remember that it takes a full year for complete recovery from a knee replacement, so what you feel now is not the final result.
 
Thanks so much @Celle and @mamazipp, I appreciate your answers. I swear I forgot about the knee replacement when I was really busy a few weeks ago, my first week at resuming normal activities around the house. Lately I've developed the pain at the top of the fibular, the bony part on the outside of the leg. I stopped PT a few weeks ago for a break, they want me to come back-so will make an appointment so they can figure out why that is happening. I've been happy with my PT for not expecting me to do repetitive painful exercises but mostly teaching me how to use my muscle groups and to work on balance skills.

Back to work tomorrow-I'm a little nervous-I'm getting used to staying home and feeling a bit domestic finally!
Thanks for your responses!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom