Guest viewing is limited

TKR Bye bye bone, hello chrome!

It was at four weeks when I realized I needed less pain medication and also began to be able to stand long enough to put an easy meal in the crock pot. So my activity level went up just a bit and my pain went down. Then I ended back in the hospital, but that's a different story. As Clara said you can ask your OS for step down meds or just begin to cut back a little at a time.

I always tell people to take short trips if you're feeling cabin fever. Go out to eat, (but keep your leg propped up) take in a movie at a theater with reclining seats (and take an ice pack with you), visit a friend, just begin to take back your life slowly.

Maybe this can help you to know if you're ready.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...ing-pain-after-a-tkr-and-the-pain-chart.7969/
 
Thanks, Karri, right now I am not having any pain. Last week I was uncomfortable and wanted to sleep on my side, it was too uncomfortable (1 or 2 pain level, but not really pain?). I did go out to a movie on Sunday, and have been going to a restaurant or walk around the park at least once a week.

I am going to ask my OS about the Tramadol and Norco as a less powerful painkiller to transition to (I'll see him tomorrow). I might need them if I start more strenuous activities. Right now I do one thing a day-take a walk around the block, maybe the PT exercises, today I vacuumed, too. So most of the day I sit with leg elevated. Also, possibly due to meds or ?? I can't focus. I have a stack of books I would like to read and a quilt to finish, but haven't gotten to that point yet.

Thanks all for the great advice!! (I was going to tag you but was told I'm not supposed to tag too many people).
 
The pain meds do make it hard to focus and the lack of energy doesn't help, all I was able to do the first few weeks was watch TV and take naps. I was able to start sleeping on my side at around week 5.

I don't think KarriB would mind if you tag her if you have a question or concern, she is very sweet and always willing to help.
 
@LaylaHips you can tag, just not several tags in a row or in one post. The brain fog or lack of focus ability comes with the meds, but also with the surgery and energy drain. I'm a HUGE reader and had my kindle loaded up for my hospital stay, but I couldn't read anything. My BFF has undergone multiple surgeries and I never understood why she didn't read while recovering, well I know now. I was 4 month out before I could focus enough to read.

Side sleeping is hard and I believe I was about 4 weeks before I could sleep on my side for just a few hours. I figured out a way to place my left leg over my RTKR, but some have found a pillow between their legs helped to side sleep.

Also at 4 weeks I did begin doing a bit more around the house, washing a few dishes, vacuuming, dusting one room a day, and put an easy meal in the crock pot. I ended up back in the hospital at 4 weeks, so my experience at that point changes. But it was a few weeks after my second surgery that we would stop for a meal after my bi-weekly dr. appointment, always keeping the leg up during a meal. At 6 weeks after my TKR I hadn't gone anywhere except the drs., pt and the hospital, so cabin fever was running rampant for me. I'm including the activity progression chart, just for you to compare as you move along.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-tkrs.14334/

And thanks @uva55 for the very nice compliment!
 
Thanks KarriB and @uva55 for the great tips and assurance!
I had my one month post-op yesterday. My knee flexion was 105 (lying flat on my back, I think it's better when sitting, at least they didn't push it), and extension was 0. I hope for a little hyperextension, to match my other knee, forgot to ask them if that's possible.

My incision is good, PA took out one stitch at the bottom which hadn't dissolved and looked like a scab. My OS wants me to cancel home PT and go to outpatient where i can practice recumbent biking or use the equipment they have.

I got to see the X-rays and the before X-rays with all the bone spurs which inhibited movement. I had several spurs on my knee cap which they removed. Gross.

After the appointment we went to dim-sum, then to the art center to see a graphic master's print making exhibition (Picasso, Renoir, etc.). The kids went with us so my daughter wanted to do school clothes shopping-we stopped at a large mall and I went with her to one store and that was all I could handle, had my husband take her to her second favorite store. When we got home (2 hour drive from Seattle) I elevated my leg and fell asleep on the recliner for hours.

Old friends of my husband called a few weeks ago and are coming to visit us, from another state, on Saturday. I'm grateful they aren't spending the night. I thoroughly cleaned the house a week or two before surgery (we left town and went to my son's wedding in Austin, then back a few days before surgery). So, even though there has been some vacuuming and dusting, I have to do a bit more "real" cleaning before they get here. Not too excited about that. My husband does the best he can, but he really doesn't see dirt. I will do the best I can and am trying not to get too frantic about the cleaning.

Thanks again for all the great advice, I told the PA about this site and he thought it was a wonderful resource!
 
I thought of one more thing! I got the "go ahead" to drive. The PA said if I am taking one 4 hour release pain med at 10 pm, I should not be impaired to drive during the day. He suggested I practice in a parking lot, but the knee that is affected is my left knee so I'm not anticipating any problems. I also got tickets for my daughter and 2 grandchildren to come at the end of the month so they can visit for a week, something to look forward to!
 
One piece of advice and I know that you have probably read plenty regarding this on this site, when you start PT, do not allow them to push you too hard, I had a very gentle therapist, but I witnessed first hand the other side of the coin, your ROM is really good right now and also your extension, so be very careful and take control of your PT.

It really sounds like you are doing really well, it's nice to get out of the house and start doing a little more and being able to start driving again.

How nice to spend time with your daughter and grandkids, there is nothing better than family.

Have a great weekend.
 
That's nice to hear you have a visit from the grandchildren at the end of the month. It's something to definitely look forward too!
 
@LaylaHips
You are doing so well for only 4 weeks post-op! I found it difficult to focus on my art projects, so reading was really the only thing that I enjoyed besides TV which usually put me to :zzz:
Good luck with the driving, it will make you feel more independent! and just having that extra freedom to be on your own is sure a nice feeling. Because I had my R knee done, it was almost 7 weeks before I drove again, I remember the day well (husband drove me to a vacant lot) and we did a few practice runs and then I was excited to just drive the route back home :tada:
 
Sounds like a good doc appointment! I can't imagine doing everything you did today at a month out of surgery! Appointments and PT were about all I could handle most days. I'm glad you're allowed to drive, it does give you some freedom back. I didn't drive for 10 weeks! One day I just got in the car and drove a few blocks to my friend's house. When I drove to PT they asked who gave me the go ahead...:heehee:
 
@KarriB, when I'm at home a barely do a thing, and I am grateful yesterday was my last PT session. The PT has been worried that my heart rate is high, but I realized it's because of anxiety every time she comes (having one of my kids vacuum, picking up the house, etc). I took my heart rate when she's not here and it's fine.

After the long drive, post-op and day out on Tuesday, I woke up yesterday with the intention of trying to clean the house a little bit. I wiped off a counter top and that was about it! I crashed on the recliner and watched 4 Emily Owens MD with my daughter.

Today I'm hoping to do a little cleaning before company comes. It's 11 and I'm still in bed so better get going! Thanks for the support!
 
Not surprised you crashed after the kitchen counter! But I understand wanting your house to look good. If you need to vacuum, do it, then elevate for half hour or more. I had to do this off and on when I started cleaning and doing more. Pick just a few things only you can do and farm out the other chores. Enjoy your visitors!
 
I see that you live in Washington. I'm in Victoria and had my surgery in Seattle. Where did you have yours? I also have a daughter in Austin! My surgery was 5 months ago...sounds like you are very active for barely one month out. Try to give yourself permission to take it easy.
 
Hi @mamazipp, I just found your message! I live in Bellingham, so on your way home! I went to Swedish First Hill-I was very happy with the surgeon. We just drove down to Seattle for the post-op, so won't be going back for another 3 months.

I am very happy with my recovery, but the trip to Seattle was probably pushing it (with art center and shopping), so I crashed the following 2 days, had out of town company yesterday so was out to restaurants, etc., and now have a week of rest to look forward to! While cleaning for the company we got rid of the crutches, walker, elevated toilet seat, so our house is feeling more "normal".

We have lived in Washington for 10 years, and have never been to Victoria! One of my friends is there this weekend. Maybe I will get there this month-I would love to go on one vacation before the summer is over. We were in Austin the beginning of July, my first trip to Texas, I LOVED it. It was 100 degrees and humid, but with the chilly weather in Bellingham it was a treat for me. My son lives in the east downtown area, so that's where we stayed (in an airbnb). So nice to meet you! Maybe we can actually meet for coffee some day if you're passing through on your way to a post-op appointment!
 
Coincidence! I also had my surgery at Swedish First Hill. My surgeon was Jason King. I'm interested that you got home PT. I didn't know it was an option. I guess I could have recovered at my daughters house in Bellingham with home PT but instead went to a rehab in Seattle, it was pretty awful! Did you have your hip surgery there as well?

I'm going to see the OS next week but don't feel ready to tackle all the driving from Victoria so I'm taking the 3 hour Victoria Clipper...downtown Victoria to Seattle waterfront. Daughter has an apt there during the week for work, so I stay there overnight. I have spent lots of time in Bellingham since she moved there about ten years ago. There is nothing like Fred Meyers in Victoria! As well as everything else. I'm not Canadian so I miss all those things. We will have to meet up for coffee at some point!
I'm glad you got the go ahead to drive. It makes a big difference.
I'm amazed at your recovery, that was a lot of activity for 4 weeks out! You're doing very well. Even getting rid of the elevated toilet seat.. I just did that last week.
When my daughter in Texas visits every summer she enjoy the cool Pacific Northwest air!
Nice to meet you.
 
@mamazipp, hope your doctor's appointment went well! Yes, I had my hip done at Swedish, too. I was so happy with the results, zero pain after the surgery and back to work in a month, that I had the same surgeon do my knee. (of course knees are a little trickier-he also had a new nurse and PA, wasn't so happy with the nurse). I hope to meet you some day when you come to visit your daughter in Bellingham! I received in home PT from one of the local nursing agencies. I wasn't given coumidon this time so it was PT only. A PT came into assess me, and they sent a PT aide twice a week, so she pretty much just went for a walk with me or watched me do exercises. I haven't been on this site for a few days but will find your recovery thread today!

I started out patient PT on Tuesday and am very happy with them (so far, one session). They are doing exactly what I had hoped-teaching me how to bear weight appropriately to facilitate the correct muscles, showing me how to activate muscles, demonstrated exactly how to align my body and how to bear weight on my foot when climbing the steps reciprocally. I'm glad it wasn't just watching me do repetitive exercise, which I also agree isn't useful or functional. I really needed the info on how to use body mechanics appropriately, which is one of the reasons I ended up with orthopedic problems (IMO).

So, discharge home PT measured flexion at 120 degrees, happy with that and still working on getting more. The outpatient people thought my extension was 0 to -5 degrees, I really want it slightly hyperextended like my right knee, so working on that, too. My biggest thing is endurance, because I do only one activity a day, like go for a walk, run an errand, and then I pretty much sit and watch netflix or spend time on the computer.

Today I am going to the Northwest Fair, taking my daughter to look at the animals, crafts and quilts, eat some fun local food, but no rides! (She went with her friends last night so was able to do all the carnival fun stuff). I'm not bringing a cane but hope there are plenty of places to sit down. We will probably only be there an hour or two.

Next week I'm going to try to do more, get going earlier in the morning, etc. I hope to gain a little endurance! Hope you are all doing well with your recoveries!
 
Happy to be feeling more like a human being! Went for a walk with my husband and dog on the trails today; I didn't go very far but I asked my husband to take a picture of me to send to my kids..no more bowed leg!! And my leg almost looks normal! Now to lose some weight!
 
As you are able to do more I'm sure you will be able to lose weight fairly easily. The better I feel the more active I get.
 
In a great big funk today! Everything is going well with recovery but I feel no energy, enthusiasm-pretty Debbie Downer today. Went to PT yesterday and it seems like I have no reason not to resume normal activities but I pretty much don't want to do anything today! I did 3 things yesterday (PT, took my dog and washed him at a "do it yourself" place, and did a small cleaning job), and I am completely wiped out. So depressed today! (and I do have the freedom of driving now, but no motivation). Ideas??? Think I'll dig through my vitamin cabinet and look for supplements that might help.
 
You are still suffering from post open energy drain and it is normal as well as feeling a bit down.

Since it's only just over a month since you had this major surgery, you will still feel tired for some time. That's because most of your body's energy is going towards healing your knee and there isn't much left for anything else:
Energy drain for TKRs

Give yourself time to heal and recuperate and don't try to rush things. Being patient now will pay off big time later.
Activity progression for TKRs
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom