THR Butterfly Flutters Over

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Vetgirl How are you doing? I know you are that horrible waiting game and I know how hard that is.

My back issues are steadily improving, thank God! I was so discouaged. I really feel for you having this infection problem go on and on and on. I don't knkow if I'd have the courage to deal with it like you are.

Love to you,

Milli
 
Thanks for checking in with me Milli @Butterfly

I am so glad your back is feeling better and you are in happier spirits. I see you have caught up on my thread. I had a much better day today.

Are you able to get around a little better? Maybe use your walker less??? I know you hate that

Just remember you had two major surgeries close together and your mobility was quite limited before the replacements.....don't forget how far you have come. :yay::yay::yay:
 
I am having computer problems and will have a new hard drive put in this afternoon, so if I vanish off the forum for a couple of days, I haven't fallen off the earth or gotten sick or anythng. Just the curse of the electronics!
 
Well, I am up and running now, but have been having some trouble with the forum. It forgot me! Anyway I sent a note to the techy questions people. I got a new gobbledygook password sent to me, but I need to change it to something I have a chance of remembering!
 
@Butterfly I saw in another thread that you had posterior lateral THR, but didn't want to sabotage their thread. I wondered how you have done with the restrictions? I had that approach and I have been told that I will have restrictions for life. I want to be able to bend over and put on shoes and socks and cross my legs once in a while. Were you told your restrictions were forever?
 
Butterfly, Keep us informed, Please don't get lost. :sorry: We miss you. :boohoo: Tashia
 
@Dmcfad2 - I had a posterior lateral and only had restrictions for six weeks. I can put my shoes and socks on. I am careful, but I don't overthink each movement I do. It is difficult with different protocols and different surgeons.
 
@Butterfly I'm not on much these days but have been catching up. Glad the acupuncture is working. I have found both acupuncture and chiropractic quite helpful for back issues.

@Dmcfad2 I had a posterior lateral THR last April. My only restrictions are: not to lean over the outer part of my leg to tie my shoes-I can bend between my legs, but not on the outer operated side; no downhill skiing, which I'd never done anyway; no very rough surf because if you dislocate you drown (I used to bodysurf with my son); and no more sandals, ever! I have a very conservative surgeon. No one else has said no sandals, but my surgeon thinks NYC streets should never be walked on in sandals because of infection risk. I have consulted with several other doctors on this, and none of them agree.

I have been lifting my foot to the other knee to put on shoes and socks with no problems, and also do it bending over. Each surgeon has his/her own concerns -some have no restrictions at all.
 
@LeeApril26 Thank you, Lenora. I also have a conservative surgeon. It was actually his PA who told me the restrictions were lifetime. I will see my OS for my 6 week follow-up and plan to ask him his opinion. I am hoping he will give me a little more leeway. I don't want to be overthinking my movement for the rest of my life! I don't plan on being reckless, but I do want to be able to do things without forever thinking about my hip.

@Poppet I appreciate your comments, too. Thanks!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had a posterior THR. I had four weeks of precautions, so I've been doing shoes and socks since then. I don't think about my hip at all now. I do lots of yoga. I ski. I rock climb. I'm just living my life and not worrying about it. Once you are fully recovered, I think it takes a lot to dislocate a hip.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
Hi @Dmcfad 2. I had posterior and 12 week precautions due to prosthesis being small....after 12 weeks was told I could do pretty much anything I wanted or that didn't hurt! I've twisted and bended...and done everything without thinking about it. I don't cross my legs as it still pulls a bit. Also I cannot imagine not wearing sandals...was not given any guidance to footwear at all. A lifetime of precautions sounds way over the top.. .hope you get a different perspective at your 6 week check up....Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Dmcfad2 Sorry to take so long to reply -- been busy helping my sis get ready for surgery and taking her to all her appointments, shopping, etc. that she needs to do.

As to restrictions, my OS (also very conservative) lifted all my restrictions in January -- except no bungee jumping or parachute jumping or contortionist yoga positions (those are not a problem for me :snork: ). He did tell me to try to avoid bending over to the side to the floor (like to pick up something on the floor beside you). He also said not to try to touch my toes by bending over from the waist without bending knees a bit. That was it -- just sort of general stuff that doesn't matter to me anyway.

I don't think I've ever heard of lifetime restrictions like you are talking about. Ask the OS. How are you doing??
 
@Butterfly Thanks for your response. Even if my OS tells me the restrictions are for life, I think I will just go ahead and live my life. I don't plan on doing anything to hurt my hip, but I should be able to put my shoes and socks on, for goodness sake!
 
You'll be able to do that, of course -- but not immediately. It might be several weeks that you have to observe the initial restrictions, for safety's sake. After that, no jumping out of perfectly good airplanes, etc. The new hips really do behave like your old ones before they started acting up. My OS cautions about extreme positions, tho -- he says the new hips are slightly more likely to dislocate than the old hips were, so I just use common sense.
 
@Dmcfad2 I am having posterior and was told by my surgeon that I will have no restrictions (not even immediately after surgery.) Obviously I will be careful for a few months. I have worn flip flops to every appointment with him and he hasn't said anything. That's interesting though! I never thought about that. My husband was wearing flip flops once and lifted something heavy that caught on his toenail and pulled his toenail up. We went to the emergency room... then follow up with podiatrist. Now that I think about it, he was given strong antibiotics and a warning to watch for infection. I guess I will have to be more careful and not wear sandals when doing something that could hurt my feet. Also, FYI, I tripped last year wearing sandals and am very careful not to wear them in situations where I would be more likely to trip. I just can't put on tennis shoes easily because of my lack of ROM, so that's why I wear flip flops/sandals a lot. Easy to get on and off.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom