Guest viewing is limited

BTKR Scheduled May 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
one week to go - and I have to say that I am now officially TERRIFIED. I'm not an easily scared person, but I think it has just all hit me in one foul swoop!!! Another hospital appointment tomorrow to talk about the actual hospital stay, and what will happen, so maybe that will calm me down. I didn't expect to be feeling this anxious - how do I deal with another week of this!!! I really am feeling very very scared :sos::sos::sos:
 
Been there, done that! We've all had that last-minute anxiety. (Not nice, is it?) It will be "all right on the night" and we'll be looking out for you on the recovery side.

You can spend part of this week in preparation for when you come home - get your recovery room and sleeping arrangements all set up. Get everything handy where you will need it, make meals and freeze them. All stuff you've probably gleaned already from BoneSmart.
 
and I have to say that I am now officially TERRIFIED

how do I deal with another week of this!!!
I would urge you to stay busy, and, as has been said, get stuff done around your home and get everything ready for your return.

I would also cook and freeze your favorite meals and check the batteries on the TV/Cable remote, too/
 
I have called mum, and she is coming up this afternoon so we can 'plan' the week, and what I need to do. All knowing that it is only to keep me busy, and reduce anxiety :). I have plenty of work work to do as well, but I just need to be able to stop panicking and get my head in the game!! Thanks for suggestions - I think my first task is to prepare my recovery room at home :)
 
Yes, many of us refer to our recovery area as our "nest" where we will do most of our hanging out.
 
Blah - after keeping busy, and moving stuff around in my recovery room, I have done what I feared, and flared up my discs in my back. No anti-inflammatories for me, so lots of rest and ice now :(
 
Hang in there---you are getting close---soon you will be on the "Other Side" and you will be on your way to being totally pain-free!

That BTKR membership to the Alumni Organization is quite an honor!
 
My nest was my recliner with table and TV tray near by. Pillows handy, remote controls, pain meds, lip gloss, lap blankets, etc. I iced, elevated, watched TV, and took many naps. Get your nest ready and you will make it through! We'll be waiting to here from you. Best wishes.
 
I had my last 'education session' at the hospital yesterday. Very pleased to hear them talk the same language as this forum :). Nurse said that exercises should not be overdone, and swelling and stiffness means you've taken yourself a bit far and to slow down. phew - I won't be battling the forced exercise brigade!!
 
I'm going to go check out a PT place near me tomorrow. It's very close to my home so easy for my husband to take me when I'm ready for outpatient PT. I want to see what their philosophy is on TKR recovery before I subject myself to their ministrations!
 
That is a great idea to check out the PT facility. Hope it goes well for you!
 
I have to say that I did not have any problems with PT and found that even though I didn't want to go, I always felt better after. In fact, I found that doing my exercises in the morning helped to ease the morning stiffness. Once I realized that, it made it easier for me to make myself do them. I'm not a person who looks forward to exercising so it really helped me when I understood this.

Yes, I've had some extra discomfort after some PT sessions but then I always find I've made progress when I go back the next time. So, I think it's important to find the balance between doing enough and not over-doing. It is important to keep the knees moving and bending - just remember to follow up with ice and elevation. Yes, some people have been pushed too hard so if you have any doubts, check with folks here or just tell the PT to ease up.
 
I had my LTKR December 11, 2013. I haven't posted my story because I found the forum in February. I've been quite lucky with a fairly easy recovery. I think a lot of that was because of a hospital situation that was pretty close to the Bonesmart way. Lots of ice, regular meds that controlled my pain, and PT that encouraged me to stretch and bend but put a real emphasis on not hurting. I was constantly asked if if I was in pain, if I had been too sore after my last session. The rule was if pain during therapy reached a five we would stop.

The reason I am posting is I have shown horses and ridden all my life. The first question I asked was when I could ride. I postponed my surgery last year till after the Quarter Horse World Show in November. My Dr. made me wait three months, it nearly killed me to wait, but I'm glad I did. My first ride back was great. I didn't realize how much pain I have been in before the TKR.

About showing your dog, I. Made it through a halter (in hand) class at about three and a half months. I only had to jog about sixty to eighty feet and I limped! Hope this helps.
 
I checked out that PT facility today and was much encouraged! She works with patients one on one - none of that annoying "you get started on that and I'll be back" as they run off to attend to another patient and leave you to your own devices. She also specifically said that our goal would be to get the swelling down and then the ROM would come. I liked her a lot - I'll definitely go there for my outpatient PT!
 
Someone recommended a physical therapist to me but I still went in to find out how he felt about "no pain, no gain physical therapy". He gave the correct answer so I set up appointments with him. (if it hurts, it will cause swelling and then you won't be able to bend the knee.) I enjoyed physical therapy.
 
Have just spent a wonderful afternoon and evening at a luxury retreat with my husband, so feeling very calm and comfortable at the moment. Expecting my phone call today with final admission time etc. Will leave here soon and head back home, I'm sure the anxiety will kick in again then!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Best of luck , you will be in great hands. My surgery was over in a flash . And pain was very well managed . The real challenge is when you get home but you have read the mantras and articles and many threads on bonesmart. You will do fine . Best of luck. Iceman
 
@HorseLover ---Welcome to the forum! Why don't you post your story in a separate thread in the TKR Recovery Section---please tell us more about yourself and how things are going---let us get to know you better.
 
Best wishes @Spider . this last day before surgery will seem endless. Surgery, itself, is easy! And then you'll be on the recovery side. :yahoo:Just my two cents about your daughter's party: my hardest time two weeks out was riding in a car. Every bump in the road and every turn shot through my knees. :hissy:
If she isn't more than 15 minutes away, you might not have difficult time getting there. Then, if you can put your feet up and put ice on your knees, you could do just fine.

As you can tell from the replies and from other people's experience, it is impossible for us to know how our own recoveries will go, much less try to predict someone else's. I say be optimistic but unafraid to change plans if you find you aren't up to it.
 
@Spider, Good luck! Try not to worry too much. I'll be looking for your posts on the other side.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom