BTKR Scheduled May 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so glad to see you post that. It is exactly how I am feeling!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I have a couple of questions for those who have been there done that. I have lots of support in place to keep my recovery as slow as I need (this is going to be the hardest thing for me, because I'm not good at slowing down and letting other people help). There are a few things, however, that I wouldn't mind doing. I'm just wondering if my expectations are realistic at all???? I don't HAVE to do any of these things, but how likely am I going to be able to:

1. My daughter turns 18 2 1/2 weeks post op. Her party is being organised and given by her father (whom I don't live with anymore). Do you think it is feasible that I could turn up for an hour or so, just as a visitor??

2. A week or so after this, I would like to have a family celebration at home. All my family would bring everything along, and I wouldn't need to do anything other than have people over and sit with my legs up.

3. A bigger ask I think - In September, so 4 months post op - is the Royal Show in Adelaide. I show Great Danes, and obviously to show them I need to be able to run a couple of circles around the show ring, with a Dane. I have a back up handler - but is it likely or not likely that I will be able to do this myself.

My biggest stress in this is not the surgery, not the recovery pain (remind me of this the other side), but the stop that has to be put on my life. In saying that my children are old enough to be pretty independent, and are really good kids - they will help whenever needed. My husband is taking 3 weeks off of work after I get out of hospital, and is also very supportive. My mum lives around the corner - and my biggest problem with her support is to hold her off of being over-bearing!! I'm in a pretty good place I think, it is just that relying on others and patience are NOT strong personality traits - I'll need to channel my inner calm!!!!
 
Everyone recovers at a different pace, but I would say yes, yes and maybe. I tend to think that running may not be a good idea four months post op, but I'm only four weeks post-op so what do I know?:yes:

Last week I traveled 1 1/2 (darn traffic) hours to my son's house for a family celebration. It was great seeing everyone and I felt better than I had in days. I'm betting you will be able to do it too.
 
I couldn't have done it two weeks after surgery, but maybe you can. Prepare your daughter that it will be a "fly by" visit.
 
I would not have been able to at two weeks. I do hope you can pop in and out as I can see it how much it means to you. Fatigue was my biggest issue as my pain was pretty well controlled with medication.


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
1. My daughter turns 18 2 1/2 weeks post op. Her party is being organised and given by her father (whom I don't live with anymore). Do you think it is feasible that I could turn up for an hour or so, just as a visitor??
Honestly, I could not have done that---the first three or four weeks were really tough for me and I could not imagine going anywhere at that time.

2. A week or so after this, I would like to have a family celebration at home. All my family would bring everything along, and I wouldn't need to do anything other than have people over and sit with my legs up.
Again, while you "Would not have to do anything", you would be doing plenty, and you will most likely not be able to enjoy it. I missed out on my family's Thanksgiving Dinner three weeks after my BTKR, and I am glad that I did. It was tough not going, but I was pretty dopy on the pain meds, and I knew that I would not enjoy it and be in everybody's way.

3. A bigger ask I think - In September, so 4 months post op - is the Royal Show in Adelaide. I show Great Danes, and obviously to show them I need to be able to run a couple of circles around the show ring, with a Dane. I have a back up handler - but is it likely or not likely that I will be able to do this myself.
I do not know---my OS told me that the only thing that I should run for was "my life." I do not know if you should run (that is up to you) or if you will be able to run at that point in time.
 
Hi @Spider, I agree we all heal at different speeds. I had a bilateral total knee replacement April 1. 2 1/2 weeks later I went to brunch with my daughter and her family. I used a cane but we were at the restaurant for 2 hours. I did however, come home to a couple hours of icing and a pretty good nap. My problem was not the knees but more energy drain. It was so wonderful to get out and enjoy the family. I would have gone even if I had needed a wheel chair!
If you have an 18 year old, I'm thinking you are pretty young. Your young age will make a huge difference in your recovery.
I would definitely have the family over at four weeks. Especially if they bring everything!
The September dog show? Your knee will let you know if that's doable.
Good luck!



BTKR 1 April 2014
 
I am at 6 weeks post BTKR's and just now able to sit in a regular chair (knees bent) for an hour or so. I went to a restaurant several days ago and was really ready to leave after about 30 minutes. Today I had my nails done and managed better. My knees have only been happy when I'm in my recliner. That may not be the case for you, but you will get tired very easily. Just taking a shower and getting dressed was pretty exhausting in the first few weeks. Even having visitors is tiring and I really could only take company for about an hour. You will have to see how it goes for you and I certainly hope you have a speedy recovery, but I'd recommend keeping your expectations low so you don't get frustrated because honestly at 6 weeks I'm just beginning to feel like doing things/having company.
 
thanks for your input. I think the best thing to do will be to assume I will not be able to do any of them - and if I can, then its a bonus. Maybe I'll just have to make my daughter Skype me into her party for 1/2 hour :)
 
Didn't mean to be discouraging, but I do think it's best to understand what it could be like. Some folks do amazingly well and recover much faster but many of us take longer. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you are one of the lucky ones!
 
Skype could be a fun option.
 
Great idea to Skype if you can't go!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
@VancouverUSAgal - not discouraging at all. With my personality, it is much better to know what to expect from an honest perspective, not just a best case scenario. I appreciate everyone's input I really do. I need to have a realistic perspective on recovery, otherwise after 2 weeks I'll get annoyed at not being able to do things I thought I should be able to!!! I know what I"m like :)
 
I'm focussing on planning my return to riding post op now. My horse left last week for 6 month lease back to his old owner. I wanted him in full work when he came home rather than feral!! I went to a horse event with my daughter this weekend, and silly me thought I could walk the cross country course with her!!! Oh well, can't do any more damage now, just have to put up with the pain. That is the things that is making me feel excited about getting this done - this stuff won't be a problem when we do the same event next year!!! Feels like a cross between terror and excitement at the moment. Also panicking because I feel like I need to have so much done before I go in. It is certainly starting to get very real now!!!
 
I think the best thing to do will be to assume I will not be able to do any of them - and if I can, then its a bonus.
I think that your attitude is outstanding; I was amazed at how slowly my recovery was---but I hope that your recover goes agaisnt the grain, so to speak, and that you can recover faster and enjoy those activities sooner!

I'm focussing on planning my return to riding post op now.
That is great---and we have had many others get back on the horse and not only ride it, but enjoy it more than ever before!
 
Hey, spider-- a quick hello and a word to you about riding: I had my first partial knee done last fall and was back in the saddle at five weeks out. Since the left was done first, I may well be able to ride again a bit sooner this go around. If you don't have a mounting block, get one! My biggest concern was the little twist of the left leg and most of my 200# being on that leg while getting up but I never felt any discomfort. I walked, trotted a little and centered for a few seconds that first ride.

I only trail ride and my horses are gaited and I don't have to post at all on my mare, but my gelding trots and I am in fact able to post fine, with no pain in the replaced knee. Both horses understand that they are required to stand like statues next to anything I use as a mounting block and Not Move until I am settled. Sometimes finding a stirrup is a little awkward, otherwise its all good. Jumping would presumably put a bit more stress on your new knees, but if you achieve good ROM you should be fine.
 
My daughter turns 18 2 1/2 weeks post op. Her party is being
organised and given by her father (whom I don't live with anymore). Do you think it is feasible that I could turn up for an hour or so, just as a visitor??

I think you might be able to do this, as long as you can beg/borrow a wheelchair and you have someone to drive you and push you around. Don't forget, though, that you will still be feeling uncomfortable, your brain will still be fogged with pain killers, and the actual time away from home will be longer that just the hour at the party. You'll pretty wiped out by the time you get back to bed. You will probably find the crowd a bit tiring too. If you do decide to go, forewarn your daughter beforehand, and tell her you might need to borrow her bed, to rest for a while before the journey home. Take ice packs to use on your knee while you are in the car, and try to keep your leg elevated as much as you can.

quote="Spider, post: 604713, member: 13106"] A week or so after this, I would like to have a family celebration at home. All my family would bring everything along, and I wouldn't need to do anything other than have
people over and sit with my legs up.[/quote]

As long as you truly don't need to do anything, you could probably manage this. I suggest you use your bedroom as your social centre and people come to visit you there. Don't feel that you'll have to be up and act as the hostess. Make sure that your visitors do the dishes and tidy up before they leave! Once again, you'll probably find that having visitors is pretty tiring.

I had company for Christmas dinner 3 1/2 weeks after my TKR. My husband cooked the turkey, my son did the roast vegetables, his girlfriend's daughter made a trifle. All I had to do was make a sauce to go with the turkey. Even so, I was shattered and I went straight back to bed after the meal, leaving them to do dishes and tidy up. I slept for 3 hours!

A bigger ask I think - In September, so 4 months post op - is the Royal Show in Adelaide. I show Great Danes, and obviously to show them I need to be able to run a couple of circles around the show ring, with a Dane. I have a back up handler - but is it likely or not likely that I will be
able to do this myself.

This one, I don't know. I don't think anyone can tell you at this stage - it would need a bit of crystal-ball gazing.
To be on the safe side, why not plan to have your back-up handler do this one? You should be able to go and watch -take a chair to sit on. Great Danes are pretty big (to state the obvious! :heehee:) and you might still have trouble going at the required speed, not to mention that the arena grass might not all be level. Once you're completely healed, running on soft grass shouldn't cause too much stress to your knee.
 
@jeano. Thanks for your riding experience! I have sent my boy away for 6 months, so I'm not tempted to get on earlier than I should. I have already organised some 'rehab' type rides before he comes back. I do low level endurance , so have an Arab with a BIG trot. He is already used to me mounting from lots of different places, and at home I use a ladder :). You have reminded me to tell the girl who is riding him to make him stay still during mounting, it took me ages to teach him that.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks @Celle. I am feeling positive, but not TOO much. Normally I am one of those people who heal very quickly, but I don't want to expect that. Every other thing I have had I have been able to get up and get active quickly to peoples surprise. For example, I took my moon boot off of a disunited broken leg 3 weeks after the break and was walking on it. My concern this time is that this is ENTIRELY the wrong approach to recovery, so I'm trying very hard to convince myself of what I can't do now, so I don't try to rush things When I'm horse training, I always say 'the slow way is the fastest way to get your outcome'. I think I need to apply that to this. Fingers crossed I can do some of those things though :)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom