Guest viewing is limited

TKR bteem-dfw post op 1 week ago

@bteem-dfw do you have an ice machine? At 7 weeks out I still use mine all night. It has been the biggest help (besides meds) to me! I freeze water bottles to use in place of ice (got that tip from this forum) which makes the water stay cold for 7-8 hours! I also still that I sleep better in my recliner on on the couch.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I hate pain meds so I only take them when I feel like I need one.
Seems like all the others have pre-empted what I was going to say. You MUST be on a schedule for pain meds for the first few weeks. The meds only stay in your system for about 4 hours and if you wait 8 hours before the next dose means you spend 4 hours or more with no pain med coverage at all. That is not good.
If she works me or my pain level stays above a 6 then I will take a second one.
The answer here is to stop her hurting you or working you hard. Both are unnecessary and counter-productive to boot. Did you read the recovery articles? And the BoneSmart Philosophy? We really cannot put it any clearer than that. No pain MORE gain!
 
Yup Bteem-dfw.
Its time for you to be in charge of PT. Its time for you to control your pain, not have your pain control you.

Its after all your knee( not your PT's ) and you deserve to be comfortable.. You are not going to wind up being an invalid..
 
Your knee knows how to rehab itself without any help from pt. In many cases pt slows down recovery and causes extreme pain needlessly. Please listen to so many of us that have experience with this surgery.
 
The P.T. that was "brutal" towards me I fired last week. The new one started this past Monday we are clicking as far as my expectations and no hurting.
In fact she may transition me to a cane in the new few days if things keep progressing. But as she said this is not a 5k race, this is a marathon.

Have to say this has been my best day yet in regards to recovery. Fingers crossed to see if I can put 2 back to back.
 
Glad to hear you have a PT with reasonable expectations, who knows this is a marathon.
 
Less pain, more gain! That's for sure!
 
Nothing we can do to recover faster, it is indeed a marathon that can't be run at high speed. Glad your fired the last PT!
 
But don't expect two good days in a row at this stage.. There was a schematic resembling a roller coaster with loops that pretty accurately reflects recovery..

The overall trend is upwards however..
 
Just checking that bruising like this is normal. I am icing it higher than I had been based on this bruise showing up today.

[Bonesmart.org] bteem-dfw post op 1 week ago
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What an awful start you have had! The BoneSmart pros and the mantras will fix it for you if you listen to their suggestions! You will recover and be happy with your new knee but it takes time. Lots of time. Lots of rest, elevating and icing. Lots of being bored. Lots of patience. Lots of missed activities.

The good thing is that after awhile (for me 8-10 weeks) things will start to normalize and you will actually be happy with your new knee. I always took two pain pills at 12am and 4 am. That helped me sleep. I slept in a hospital bed until knee 2 aka Picchu was 6 weeks old.

Also, I quit PT totally with the second knee got tired of arguing and refusing! At 12/16 weeks I'm back to life - riding my horse, yoga, walking, swimming with no knee pain for the first time in 10+ years. You'll get there, follow the mantras and keep the pain controlled at all times.
 
Quick update, went to do post op review with dr this past Tuesday. He likes where I am at. Says come back in 6 weeks. In mean time going to stop home physical therapy end of this week and start out patient on Monday.
Graduated to a cane and walking every day. Go back to work and drive when I feel up to it.
 
Congratulations on great progress. I had right tkr on Feb 13 in Flower Mound. I can't imagine only having the nerve block and twilight anesthesia. I'm making progress but still using walker. I had a slight set back with diarrhea...no constipation for me. I have some tingling but PT says normal. Start out patient PT next week.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
I am at 4 mo's recovery. walking up to 3 miles at a time with no pain in knee. Question is, what should I still be doing to strengthen knee? I still get a slight bit of swelling but taking Vimovo helps. Have more good days than bad. Just want to keep moving forward with recovery.
 
It sounds like you're doing good. The swelling is normal. You ought even halfway into a year's recovery! The strength will come as you use it more. I didn't do weights, but started using my leg as the leading leg going up the steps and bike riding quite a bit. I am stronger than I have been in years! Just use you knee more and more and those muscles will build up!
 
Just keep using your knee normally. It will gradually regain strength.
 
Back
Top Bottom