Guest viewing is limited

THR bruce1984’s Left THR

Winding down postop day #13. Doing well, walked some without cane today. Taking it easy. Continuing Journavx but switched Tylenol to Advil twice a day for its anti inflammatory effects with I think some benefit. I think I’m a few days away from fully cane free, definitely getting close. A bit slower this time compared to other side 8 years ago but not concerned or upset about that. Overall happy, satisfied snd grateful at this point. Decided to cancel 2 days offshore fishing out of Islamorada previously scheduled for early May. Surgeon said it was OK but I don’t want to risk a boating mishap that early in recovery. Maybe reschedule the trip for late October. Not much else for now. Praying everyone else out there is doing well on this incredible and variable journey. Will update again in a few days. Take Care, BG
 
Great report. You have just the right attitude about recovery - take things at your body’s pace and don’t be in a hurry for advances to more normal activities. Good for you!
 
You are coming right along!
You have a logical as well as a no nonsense approach!
Keep the updates coming please!
 
You're doing great, Bruce! Just be sure you're not limping at all before you ditch the cane. I think you're wise to wait until October for your fishing trip, simply because you'll be much farther along in the healing process and I believe you'll enjoy it more. I love your grateful heart, it's inspiring.
Have a nice rest of the week!
@bruce1984
 
Winding down postop day #18. Overall doing well but having trouble shedding the cane. I can walk without it and my wife says I’m not limping, but it’s uncomfortable. The initial steps are the most uncomfortable. Worried it may be something like ileopsoas tendinitis, but not sure. Walking with the cane is pain free. Taking Advil or Tylenol BID and Journavx, also icing during the day. I suppose I may be too impatient and comparing this procedure to my other side 8 years ago when I was walking without assistance or pain by around postop day #6 or 7. Doing no resistance cycling and elliptical without any discomfort. When I stand on the surgical side with full weight bearing (other foot off the floor) there is no pain which suggests to me the pain is muscular. Waiting (impatiently) to be cane free, and somewhat worried while waiting. Any words of advice, suggestions and or encouragement greatly welcomed. Thanks to all. Sincerely, BG
 
@bruce1984 … please don’t be in a hurry to stop using a cane. Your body is telling you it’s not ready yet. SuperPath is a great surgery procedure, but it still is major surgery. Lots of things are still healing in your body. If you push things, you can cause problems with soft tissue that is still in the healing phase. If in fact you have stressed your soft tissue to the point of inflammation and pain (and it sounds like you may have), the best thing for that is rest, ice, and elevation. Cut back on the activity and exercise and continue to use your cane until you have absolutely no problems walking without it. Even little pain twinges means it’s not time quite yet. Patience….it’s the hardest part of recovery.

It’s never good to try and compare surgeries, but I’m sure you know that. Each situation is different. There is nothing you can do or medication you can take that will “hurry up” your recovery. Your body is in charge and your job is to allow it the grace it deserves while it completes the healing process.
 
Bruce,
What’s the hurry? You have had a remarkably quick recovery so just relax and let your body complete it’s task.
 
Patience is a virtue, Bruce. :wink:
No prize for ditching the cane early, even though we're anxious to reach that milestone.
There are many using a cane for weeks, to months post op. Keep taking cues from your body and you'll know when the time is right. Let us know when the day comes and we'll Woohoo right along with you. :thumb:
Wishing you a great week!
@bruce1984
 
Many thanks for the above comments and reminders!!! Suggestions are taken to heart. Feels better today even with the cane. Will continue to take it easy and be patient. Overall, I certainly can’t complain. Thanks again and I’ll update in a few days. Your input is greatly appreciated!!! Sincerely, BG
 
Today is postop day #22 and doing well, Thank God! I contacted Dr. Grandic and few days ago and he said my symptoms are most likely muscular and suggested increasing the Advil and stretching the iliopsoas muscle. So I increased Advil to TID and simply hang my operative extremity off the side of the bed for 2-5 minutes several times daily. Definitely feel the stretch but not pushing to anything painful. Happily these suggestions have helped remarkably! Also, I’m holding off on the elliptical. Still doing low resistance reclining cycling for 30 minutes with absolutely no discomfort. Also icing. Today I was cane free without pain. When walking, I do slightly sense the musculature around the joint but definitely not painful as it was before and no limping. It really felt good, kind of hard to believe! And confidence inspiring too. So now I’m praying that this pattern holds up going forward favoring Expectations rather than Reality as shown on the plot below (which I found to accurately summarize the process in a humorous way).
[Bonesmart.org] bruce1984’s Left THR

Not much else for now. Happy to be able to report favorable progress as you all know I was getting pretty frustrated. Hoping everyone else out there going through this process is also making positive progress. BG
 
Holding steady on postop day #25. Walking well now without cane. No pain, just minor awareness of muscles around new joint. So happy I seem to have turned the corner. Now still trying to take it easy. Low resistance cycling, walking and icing. Feeling much more confident. Hoping others out there are also progressing. And @donvito2234 thanks for your kind words and support. Hoping you’re coming along nicely as well. Sincerely, BG
 
You're making nice progress, Bruce. Please do take it easy though, as you mentioned you're doing. At only one month post op there's still a lot of healing going on and that will continue for several months. You do not want to end up in the ODIC. I haven't read a good review on that place yet. :wink:

You've hit a milestone....Happy One Month Anniversary! I hope you have a great weekend.
@bruce1984
 
Thank you @Layla, your words of wisdom are appreciated!!! Winding down postop day #31 today. Continuing to make progress. Only taking Tylenol 500 mg twice daily and not sure I’ll need that for much longer. Also icing 1 or 2 times daily. Walking 1-1.5 miles daily, feels good. Stationary cycling 35 minutes daily low resistance, no discomfort whatsoever. Occasional discomfort with initial 2 or 3 steps after sitting for awhile. That’s getting better day by day. A little sore by days end. Solid on feet without cane and not limping. Overall happy and grateful for progress at 4.5 weeks. Hoping my experience can be helpful in some way to others on this difficult journey. Lessons learned: everyone’s individual experience is unique, take recovery slowly, listen to your body as you heal. Healing takes time, so hard to be patient. The postop pain and discomfort usually improves with time. Try to avoid depression!!!
 
It is nice to read that you're doing so well. We thank you for sharing your experience here because it will inspire others. I looked for positive updates like yours as I was trying to gain the courage to schedule my surgery. I loved reading uplifting posts of what I may be feeling like at one week post op, one month, two months etc. So we're grateful you're taking the time to journal some recovery notes here. Please continue to do so, we'd love to follow your progress.
Lessons learned: everyone’s individual experience is unique, take recovery slowly, listen to your body as you heal. Healing takes time, so hard to be patient. The postop pain and discomfort usually improves with time. Try to avoid depression!!!
Sound guidance...love it!

Take good care! :)
 
Still doing well 37 days postop. No setbacks, a little better each day. Off meds. Still some discomfort with initial 2 or 3 steps, then OK. Hard to believe it’s already been 37 days. Did some stairs today without any problem. Overall, happy and grateful with how things are going. My first 3 weeks weren’t easy but things definitely got better since then. I hope everyone else out there on this journey are doing well!
 
Great news!!! We love these good recoveries. Thanks for letting our membership and guests see that people actually do recover with few issues much of the time.
 
Wonderful to hear it, Bruce!
Those first few uncomfortable steps are common at only five weeks post op. There's still soft tissue healing, likely some inflammation and muscle weakness along with the fact that things can tighten up while we're seated causing stiffness. The important thing is it improves quickly as you begin walking.

You're doing great and I sense your enthusiasm. Thanks for taking the time to update and for your thoughtfulness in extending well wishes to others.
Wishing you a wonderful week! :SUNsmile:
@bruce1984
 
@Layla, many thanks for those encouraging words!!! Good to know the discomfort of initial steps after sitting is to be expected at 5-6 weeks postop. What a relief! I was getting nervous about it as everything else is progressing nicely. I started to think something might be loose in there, good grief! The reassurance offered by participants on this site is fantastic and so appreciated! Thanks again and all take care.
 
You're welcome, Bruce. You really are pretty early into the healing process when you consider it can take a full year to competely recover and it takes even longer than that for some. Rather than worry when you do have concerns or specific questions, please ask and we'll do our best to advise. We want you to be comfortable with the healing process and confident that your body is recovering as it should.
I hope you sleep well tonight. :sleep:
@bruce1984
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom