Guest viewing is limited

TKR BrokenAgain Outpatient Total Knee Replacement

I have no way to get to ER. My husband wants me to wait until Monday and demand to be seen in the office. He doesn't understand it doesn't work that way. He listens to my physical torturer. Who told him yesterday, "the ER can't do anything. She just had major surgery and there is going to be pain."

Yesterday my pt wanted me to stand with all my weight on my new knee leg. And bring my left leg out to the side and back in. Hip abduction/abduction exercises standinf. I tried. It hurt so bad I couldn't put half my weight. So, I stopped and said, " no. I can't." And sat down on my bed. He looked at me and said,"don't you ever say, "I can't to me again. You will do as you are told. "
I replied to him, "if my body is telling me it can't, then I can't and I wont"
He then goes on to be condescending and patronizing. I was crying when he left my room. When my husband came back into the room, I asked him, "why did you allow him to speak to me that way?" He pulls his ear buds out and after I repeat the question says, " I didn't hear anything but my book. Your pt went well today!" I'm ...what alternate universe are you on?
He is really supportive is most if my recovery but there are things he doesn't understand. Like:
going to ER
getting different PT
how much pain I am in

He does the best he can but if I force things he gets upset thinking I am not appreciative of what he is doing for me.
 
He's going to take me to ER. We are going as soon as we get shoes on.
 
Well, thank goodness. Tell them you think you may be having an anaphylactic reaction and you've had one before. Good luck. I'm glad your husband finally saw the light. When you get back home, be sure to call your Home Health office and request a different therapist. The one you have is abusive and you don't have to put up with that. Good luck and I hope you can get some relief. You may still need to call and try to see your surgeon on Monday, but don't hesitate to do that.
 
The doctors at the ER order bloodwork for everything! Four of the vials were 20mls each and 6 more large test tube looking vials. He apologized for having

They couldn't get over:
(1) how hot and swollen my knee is
(2)noticed that even after benadryl 75mg 4x a day my tongue is swollen and asymmetrical
(3) I have a rash

Just had xrays done. Dr is going to review them, then call my OS to have him come down here and consult on what he is going to do about my knee. My guess is he will sleep at home all night while I wait in the ER.
 
The nurse just came in at 0530CT and told us I was being admitted. She put in an IV. They are giving me a very strong antibiotic via the IV. I am not allowed anything by mouth (NPO) not even my meds. I have not been told anything yet by the ER Dr or my OS. The nurse did tell us my OS called and spoke to the ER Dr and told her to admit me. Since I have NPO orders, I think I am going into surgery to remove the cobalt alloy implanted into my knee joint at some point today. They also did a chest xray because my oxygen levels were lower than supposed to be, my BP was low and heart rate was 110 bpm. From the chest Xray they did an EKG. All came back normal. Bloodwork white blood cells elevated. Cultures won't be ready for 5 days. As I know more, I will update.
 
Holy heck twinsie! I’m so glad you went to the ER. I think it’s the best place for you. I’m so sorry your TKR has ended up like this. I’ll be watching for updates whether here or text.

Marie
 
I'm glad you went to the ER and your surgeon did the right thing by admitting you. I know you want things done as quickly as possible, but if it is determined that you need to have additional surgery, it will be a good thing that your surgeon has a solid night of sleep to go on. You're where you should be and you will be monitored and safe. This is all good. I hope you have been able to get some rest and that your pain is better managed. I'm sure you will learn more today about what may be going on.
 
So sorry that you are going through this nightmare. I’m sending healing thoughts your way.
 
Thank God you are in the hospital. I pray that the doctors find the correct diagnosis and you have complete healing.

We are here for you! Please let us know how you are doing.
 
I hope they soon get to the bottom of your pain, and other symptoms, and you begin to get better. Please keep us posted.
 
Sending healing thoughts and so glad you listened to yourself and got to the hospital and now are on those antibiotics.:nah:
 
@BrokenAgain

Yesterday my pt wanted me to stand with all my weight on my new knee leg. And bring my left leg out to the side and back in. Hip abduction/abduction exercises standinf. I tried. It hurt so bad I couldn't put half my weight. So, I stopped and said, " no. I can't." And sat down on my bed. He looked at me and said,"don't you ever say, "I can't to me again. You will do as you are told.

I had to look in to see how you're faring. I truly cannot believe the above.

When you're in a better place with the actual implant, I think you should write down your interactions with the Physio and send a letter to his professional body and make an official complaint.

'' You will do as you are told''...what country and what era is he practising in because it sure isn't the era I live in!

Your experiences are so far beyond my comprehension I can scarcely believe this is happening to you. You have been let down by the very people you put your trust in to help you. and if your treatment doesn't finally come up to the level it should, then I would seriously consider taking matters further.

I will be thinking of you and trying not to scratch in sympathy.

Standing on your new leg like a flipping stork indeed for ad/abductor manoeuvres ...unbelievable! A week after surgery! Unbelievable!
 
@BrokenAgain

Can I add to my comment?

I too was advised [ advised, not told] to have a go standing stork like on the operated leg and alternating with the other when standing at the kitchen counter when preparing things.
It's great for the glutes apparently. Standing at the counter would give me something to hang onto if needed but a huge but
that was two months after the operation. I haven't bothered much with it and most definitely have not been excommunicated by my physio who still says have a go if you can.

I am also pretty efficient on the ad and abductor machines in the gym but again, two huge buts,
I was shifting 52 and 60kg before the operation so was used to the machines and again, it was around 6weeks/two months [I forget] before I started again and that was on a much lower weight. I'm back up there and more now.

Truly, I am reeling for you at the inhumanity of your experience.
 
So glad you are in the hospital and getting the treatment and care you need. Please keep us posted when you can. :praying:
 
Good Evening! I am feeling a bit better! Still in hospital. OS and Team at Hospital believe I would benefit from time in a Rehabilitation Center. Awaiting approval from my insurance company.

I have my pain down to a five from a ten. OS and I have a goal of one week in rehabilitation center and then home.

My ROM is getting there. I was at one hundred fourteen degrees flexion and zero extention. I am back to zero extention but I am not even close to ninety flexion today. My OS told me, "it's ok. You are doing great! It's a marathon. You'll get the flexion back. Take it slow. You look great!"

I am not allergic to the implant. The implant he used does NOT contain any Nickel.

Turns out, the instruments he used to perform the surgery, are the culprits!

Some of his instruments/tools were surgical stainless steel, (Surgical stainless steel contains nickel) It has been reported many times the instruments used to insert knee replacements have been the cause for post operative complications.

I am walking better. I am able to ambulate my right leg with more ease. I am able to do more occupational activities. The swelling and bruising are dissipating nicely.
 
@BrokenAgain Im so sorry to hear about everything you have been going thru. We are trying so hard to get better. To get past all this. It is a difficult experience even without complications. I’m sending a huge boatload of hugs. And when you fall asleep tonight pretend I’m there giving you a foot rub or a head rub, or shoulder rub whatever relaxes you. Your job is to rest and get better. ❤️
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom