Both hips are bad

Atown

Country
United States United States
Getting LTHR on March 6, but my right hip is just as bad. I am worried about my recovery and PT as I can barely put weight on either leg. Has anybody else had this problem?

@Atown Welcome to BoneSmart! Would your surgeon be willing to do both hips in the same surgery (bilateral)? One surgery and one recovery. My colleague @Mojo333 had bilateral THR and it was life changing.

It you are not a candidate for BTHR worry not. You may need to move slower and depend more on mobility aids (walker, cane, crutches). And as for PT - I suggest you firmly reject any offer of PT. Hips don't really need PT - just walking and then not to excess. If you have a problem with your right hip you certainly should not be doing any PT to aggravate it.

Has your surgeon suggested when the second hip might be done?

He never mentioned doing both at the same time, I didn't even think that would be an option. I have an appointment on the 21st, I will ask about that and a date for the second one. I may be overthinking everything, the more research I do, the more nervous I get. Thank you for the advice on PT, that takes a lot of pressure off me.

I had 2 bad hips most all of my life, the L was worse. I had the L replaced and still have my R. I don't know what PT you might have any problem with as there is no strenuous PT.

:welome: @Atown and glad to have you on the forum.
Simultaneous bilateral was what my surgeon suggested for me as, when I asked which was worse, he answered "flip a coin" and now I have two great new hips!
It is something you should definitely consider and ask your OS about..but my feeling is if you have trust in your surgeon...he will be the best to advise you. Do tell him about your concerns for recovering with what you deem an equally bad hip.
Yes, the first few weeks if recovery were jarring and difficult..but I feel I had stellar results.
Getting these hips fixed, both at once, or sequentially as has many other members...will make life good again!:ok:

Hi,
I had exact same worry as you. My left was done in December and my right did manage to carry me through. At the time I thought I’d like both done together, but personally I’m glad he only did one as I don’t know how I would’ve coped.
Good luck x.

Has anybody else had this problem?
LOADS of people! It's very common to get two diseased hips and need treatment equally and then have a debate about whether a single hip replacement or two done at the same time (bilateral). The first option is doing though difficult and the second option is difficult to get!

Wishing you all the best today. You've got this!

Good luck today! Wishing you all good things!

:wave:Hope you are resting and pain is well managed!
All temporary...with a great payoff!
Healing vibes coming at you!:yes:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads