THR Boofit's recovery in Hong Kong

You are doing well Boofit. The phrase “Trendelenberg gait” makes me think of spies in Cold War Berlin wearing raincoats and coming in from the cold! 5 weeks post-op may be a bit early to worry about your gait without aids. But it is good to be body-aware, as you are.
 
Am also trying to walk unaided in my home, but have the Trendelenberg gait, so need to strengthen my abductors.
Consider OneStep. See the box in the upper right side of every page of BoneSmart. It says "proper gait is everything". Click on the box to get more info. The program addresses gait issues post joint replacement. You work with experienced PT’s to correct gait issues. Members have been very positive about their OneStep results.
 
5 weeks post-op may be a bit early to worry about your gait without aids
@Klassy that is quite right and I was just giving it a try. As you rightly point out, I am not ready to walk without aids yet. So am continuing with my cane!
And "Trendelenberg gait" is actually named after a German surgeon, so the image that it conjures up is quite apt!

The program addresses gait issues post joint replacement.
Thank you Layla! Gait issues are indeed common for people who have had lower limb joint replacements.

I remember teaching patients how to correct these issues and the first thing is for the patient to be aware of the problematic gait, then for them to work on the weakened muscles that are causing the problem.

I started strengthening my gluteus medius and minimus muscles pre-op because I knew they would be cut in the lateral approach (which I knew my OS would be using). But of course, at post-op stage I still have some distance to go to before regaining normal gait without aids when walking.

Am not at the stage where I can do the one-leg standing training, but I have started doing side-lying abduction exercises. Problem is I cannot be too aggressive with these because abduction and lateral rotation is the "restriction" for my lateral approach surgery, and I am only at the 5 week mark!
 
Last edited:
Woke up early today so went for my morning walk. Did approximately 3km with a single crutch and felt I could have done more, but decided not to do so as I had some pain in my hip joint last night (around a level 3 pain) whilst sleeping.

Am having lunch with friends today as well - a Mediterranean buffet no less! (I'll go back to calories counting tomorrow:heehee:)
 
It is a public holiday in Hong Kong today. It is raining heavily and the number 1 Typhoon Signal has now gone up to a number 3 and the Observatory is saying it might be hoisting the number 8 later today.

My helper has just come home from meeting with friends and told me that the storm has brought down a big tree along the road to our building, so cars could not pass and she had to walk the remainder of the way back home.

She brought me some dark mint Kit-kat chocolates, so that is a ray of sunshine! Comfort food is now my go to - it seems this surgery has thrown my system off and I am constantly hankering for carbs and chocolates and ice-cream! We have run out of ice-cream, and now with the tree blocking the road, we cannot go get some.
So bingeing on chocolate kit-kats now... Chocolate is protein, no?:chinstroke:

The weather definitely seems to be affecting my mood. Not a happy camper and feeling a tad restless and grouchy... Just one of those days in recovery land I guess.
Or maybe it is because I ditched all sleep meds last night. No Valium. No Zoplicone. Just trying to cope without. Sleep was fitful but I think I managed 5 or 6 hours, so I should be ok, right?:scratch:

Oh well, tomorrow is another day.
Have you tried melatonin ? It is more natural and works wonders. I combine it with magnesium glycinate about an hour before sleep. It often kicks in a bit sooner. Both are things your body produces naturally. I would ask a pharmacist to be sure it won’t interfere with any meds or health issues.
I researched on google after wanting to ditch my sleeping pills. I wanted something more natural
 
Your doing fantastic !! I was not ready to walk without aids when I did but had to because of shoulder issues. I was thankful my house is small and was able to use walls and furniture. If you can’t use stuff like that and can stick with a walking aid do that. I now have hiking poles for walks. It was much easier on my shoulders then canes. If your wanting to ditch the cane and still need something I highly recommend. I had to get new ones my old ones broke and sadly these ones are not as good.
 
Week 5 update
Have been getting more into "normal" activities: having lunches with friends, going shopping in supermarkets and wet markets, sleeping better etc.

Sleep-wise:
Still sleeping in 3 to 4 segments, but sleep improving. Not napping much during daytime, maybe 30 to 45 minutes every other day.
Have been sleeping on un-operated side (with a pillow between legs) for about 10 days now. Usually without any pain, but every now and then the hip sends complaints that have to be heeded.

Walking:
Walking about 2 to 3 km most days. Yesterday walked for about 4km in 2 sessions. Walking in home with a quadripod and starting to walk without aids (just lightly touching walls or furniture) for short distances of around 10 to 20 steps at a time.

Am mindful of my gait when walking without aids. Once I feel the muscles weakening and my gait going awry, I stop and resume using my quadripod.

When going out, I use a single crutch, except for yesterday's lunch with friends where I used my quadripod and happily walked several times to the buffet counters to get food!


Exercises:
Main exercise is walking.
Since a few days ago started doing a few (meaning 5 to 8 reps)
  • straight leg raises
  • abduction exercises when in side lying position
  • quadriceps ex
  • bridges
  • wall slides
Continuing with gluteal squeezes and resistance band exercises for upper arms.

My foot is still turned out around 15 degrees, but the lateral rotation is certainly decreasing.


Swelling, Pain and Bruising:
The swelling in my hip is decreasing. There is still a small hard lump at the incision area (at the gluteus maximus area) but this is decreasing in size. The incision is healing very nicely although it is still slightly warm to the touch.
The tenderness along my IT band and upper thigh has decreased significantly.
My ankle feels slightly tight although there is no visible swelling.

I have on and off pain in the middle of my butt, around pain level 3 on a scale of 1 to 10.
Sometimes I have pain inside the hip joint, but the medication I am on seems to be keeping it under control and not more than level 3.
The pain in my right shoulder (rotator cuff and having to bear weight on right arm when using crutch or stick) is still there but is no more than a level 2 to 3 pain.
I do have some pain in my un-operated leg, but hoping that is because I am exerting more pressure on it. Sooner or later I guess I will need a THR on that one, but hope to be able to hike with my husband for a couple of years before crossing that bridge.


Pain Medication:
Am taking:
Paracetamol 1000mg two times a day (started cutting down from 3 to 2 times a day since 3 days ago.)
Arcoxia 90mg once a day
Lyrica 75mg once a day


Since taking yogurt, my gastric pains have decreased. I also stagger the intake of medication, since I reckon my stomach probably does not like being bombarded by so many drugs in one go.

ADL
Can do almost all ADL without problem now, except I still am not putting on my left sock on my own.

Weight:
Went on the scales this morning (after yesterday's buffet with friends). Weight gain of 4 pounds since surgery.


So far, am feeling really pleased at my recovery and am MOST blessed to have my husband constantly at my side looking after me, day and night.
 
Last edited:
Have you tried melatonin ? It is more natural and works wonders.
Hi @Lyla , I tried melatonin many years ago, when I had to travel overseas (to North America and Europe mainly) quite a bit for my work but it did nothing for me. I may go back to giving it another try now that I have retired and see whether it works.

Thanks for the suggestion!
 
I have never been a good sleeper, especially since menopause. I have tried melatonin several times and each time I believe it made my insomnia worse.

When I retired, I weaned myself off prescription sleeping pills. And then I discovered something “natural “ that works for me. It is a pill form of an amino acid called l-theanine. The highest source of this in non pill form is tea. I take one pill at bedtime nightly, then I have my YouTube time in bed and within 45 minutes I can fall asleep.

I still wake up a few times during the night but usually can fall back to sleep. If I can’t, I will rarely resort to a capsule of Valerian Root, which relaxes me enough to sleep.
 
Multiple trips to the buffet, that’s a fun way to get your exercise :heehee:
@Klassy we must get our exercise anyway we can! :snork:
BTW, I finished Blue Moon (didn't like it much - story unbelievable, all those bodies of Ukranians and Albanians and not a police officer in sight ever, an insurance company going bust and people not discovering it till much later, a waitress who suddenly becomes like a military pro, etc). That said, I am now starting on another Reacher book Better off Dead written by Lee Child and Andrew Child.
Only just learnt that Andrew Child is Lee's brother. I thought he was the son.

Today is Saturday. Normally I would be out sailing with my husband and friends. But I have decided not to go sailing till around the 3 month mark when my bones and muscles have healed better. A lot of accidents could happen on a boat, and in any event I would not be good for anything except sit (for hours) and try look pretty (not an easy feat the latter), and even then the seat would be a hard plank!

But the weather is great! So I am seated on the balcony looking out on the islands and water, drinking my coffee (and Coke Zero) and going online!
 
@Zoebichon , Valerian Root sounds interesting! So does L-theanine. Will look into these - thank you! I didn't know about them before.

Funny thing is: I was taking Zoplicone and Valium regularly pre-op because sleep was difficult due to the pain in my hips and shoulder as well as the stress of an upcoming THR plus other worrisome stuff in my life. I was continuing with these post op but since I stopped taking any meds for sleep about 10 days ago, I have been sleeping fairly normally, and getting around 6 hours daily. These last few nights I have not needed to get up and ice as well. The other worrisome issues in my life continue, but I am trying to learn not to stress about some things that I cannot change, and having this THR probably helps in not focussing so much on those issues and concentrating more on my recovery process! It may be a blessing in disguise:heehee:
 
Having a "lazy day" today. Doing no exercises, no outdoor walking. Just walking in my apartment where necessary, and trying to walk unaided as long as gait is ok and walk is pain free!

Funny thing is I am feeling pain in the hip joint of my un-operated leg... and I am already trying to weight bear equally on both legs whilst walking.

Trying to cut 500mg of paracetamol. Let's see how it goes.
 
Life in HK just keeps sounding better and better! But I think you are wise to leave the sailing for now.

I had some of the worst pain ever in my left leg during the third month of recovery with this right hip. I seriously worried that something was wrong with the 3-year-old implant. But it turned out to be soft tissues annoyed with being asked to work after a lot of lying around. I hope your pain is even more transient.

Yes a hip recovery does focus the mind and I am working to recapture that positive mental energy now that my hip is all done and the everyday worries are coming back to my thoughts. You are right, work to fix the things we can and banish any other worries.

I was disappointed too in Blue Moon, I felt that the author was struggling through the motions, probably because he had a contract. And I have given it a go, but I find the Andrew and Lee Child combo a sorry substitute. I struggled to the end of “Better off Dead” but I won’t be reading any more. But you might enjoy going back to the earlier ones, after a break.

I have just started “The Thursday Murder Club”. The huge hype around it didn’t appeal to me, but someone gave me a copy and actually the first couple of chapters are promising.
 
Hubby came home from sailing yesterday bearing gifts from a friend he sailed with - me oh my! one whole serving of fish and chips! I put them in the air-fryer and they came out crispy again. Did not step on the scales today..... will think about losing weight later.

Went for a 35 minutes walk this morning. First time using a cane instead of a single crutch and it felt a tad tiring, especially for my right shoulder.
Walked about 2.5km, undulating road.

It is a beautiful sunny day here in Hong Kong. From my balcony I can see the dinghys and other boats out on the water, composing a pretty picture. Because of its coastal location, Hong Kong is perfect for sailing. Fall and winter are the best months for sailing and fingers crossed:fingersx: I should be able to go sailing then! Unlike my husband, I am not a "seasoned" sailor (he has the requisite licences and has been sailing for over 40 years) but I do enjoy being on a boat, and sometimes helping out e.g. by taking the wheel/tiller.
Sparkling sunlight on the water, winds driving the sails and keeping it taut, feeling the boat come alive through the tiller on every gust, feeling the boat lean into the wind and silently pick up speed, the companionship of good friends, and the feeling of serenity ..... The sound of wind and water is indeed amazing for the soul!

Can't wait!
 
I have just started “The Thursday Murder Club”. The huge hype around it didn’t appeal to me, but someone gave me a copy and actually the first couple of chapters are promising.
@Klassy , let me know how you rate this. I am wondering whether it is sort of like "The Women's Murder Club" series. I read the first one a many many years ago, and found it not bad for a James Patterson book. (At least the JP novels have very short chapters, hence "easy to read"!) I vaguely remember it having to do with a serial killer targeting newly-weds. And I remember one character saying "I'm in shape. Round is a shape." because I liked it and have used it myself:egypdance:

So glad we have so many books to read whilst in convalescence....
 
Hi Boofit, I'm catching up on your recovery thread and noticed you have mentioned pain in "the middle of your butt" I had that and found that taking several socks and rolling them into a ball helped immensely when I put it under the offending gluteal muscles while seated, if you can tolerate it, maybe try rolling around on it, also.
The sock ball is softer then using a massage ball and you can ease into the sore spots so much easier.
As usual, your posts are quite enjoyable.

Take care and have a great day!
 
taking several socks and rolling them into a ball helped immensely when I put it under the offending gluteal muscles while seated,
@CricketHip , thank you, will try this. Was earlier thinking of a tried and tested trick of using a tennis ball, but I think that would be too hard on the hip. Rolled up socks is a good idea!

Have a great Sunday too!
 
Exactly! tennis ball would be rather cruel. I will confess that I did begin rolling the socks tighter and firmer after I felt what was needed..:yes: You might be able to figure a way to roll them better than I did.
But I sure did get some relief with those socks..
 
Last edited:
My doc told me that 1000 mg of Tylenol and 1000 mg of Aleeve is a really effective pain reliever. I have taken. 500 of each as well

I also have a bad reaction to Lyrica and would not want to take it
I just wanted to remind our members that these are still strong medications. Tylenol dosages should never exceed 4000 mg in a 24 hour period of time.

Here's a great explanation about using Tylenol effectively and safely.
***When you are ready to take Tylenol, the most effective way to take it is 2 x 500 mg tablets every 6 hours, to a total of 4,000 mg (4 doses) in 24 hours. You need to take it regularly, to keep up the levels in your bloodstream. If you just take the odd dose now and then, it's far less effective.*** Just be careful that you aren't taking any other medications that contain Tylenol or Acetaminophen in them.. It can easily take you over your 4000 mg limit for the day.

Aleve? Which is Naproxin as a generic prescription. Not so sure about that one, I would recommend asking your Doctor, who knows your body and your health conditions (if any) before taking more than the OTC recommended dosage. When I've had Naproxin prescribed to me, it was for 500 mg and could take 2 for first dose then taper back to 500.

So I guess what I'm saying, that while this may be accurate, there's a good bit of variation from person to person/doctor to doctor.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom