Guest viewing is limited

THR Boofit's recovery in Hong Kong

Had a very busy morning....

Last night at almost 10pm, one of my tenants called me to say the fuse in his apartment had blown. Resetting did not work, so all power outlets were out. Fridge, oven, TV, Hi-Fi all went dark.
Luckily the air-conditioning system and the lighting system were on a different circuit, so that was intact (whew, it is summer in Hong Kong now).
[In any event, I always have a few USB charged fans plus a few ultra high capacity power banks handy - just in case there is a power outage which of course has not happened so far. That was what I offered to bring over to him, before I found out his a/c were ok]

I called an electrician (and yes, got hold of him at around 10:15pm) and he promised to come early today.
Which is what he did.
I received his call at 8am :shocked: this morning saying he was almost at the apartment! I had a mad scramble to throw on some outdoor clothes and get hubby to drive us over (the apartment is in a neighbouring suburb). It was fortunate I decided to skip my morning walk and was having breakfast when he called.

Long story short, the problem is now fixed, and I have gone online to get the tenant a new oven.

Have also found that I probably should continue with the 75mg Lyrica that I am taking at night.
Last night I decided to try taking 50mg instead of 75, but had some grade 3 pain in hip in the middle of the night and had to ice.
I may give it another try tonight, and see whether I can come down to 50mg.
 
Have also found that I probably should continue with the 75mg Lyrica that I am taking at night.
Last night I decided to try taking 50mg instead of 75, but had some grade 3 pain in hip in the middle of the night and had to ice.
I may give it another try tonight, and see whether I can come down to 50mg.
I don't think I can cut down on the 75mg Lyrica that I am taking. The return of low level pain in the middle of the night (in BOTH hips, different kind of pain though) woke me up two hours ago and now at 2:45am I am fully awake, plagued by exaggerated worry and anxiety.

Having gastric pain is also not helping, and I have just taken some liquid antacid and hoping it will work soon....
 
Oh yes I always had to take some form of stomach protectant like nexium or pepcid before i took my meds especially when taking any anti-inflammatory!
 
The return of low level pain in the middle of the night (in BOTH hips, different kind of pain though) woke me up two hours ago and now at 2:45am I am fully awake, plagued by exaggerated worry
Perhaps the stress and activity of the day with the tenant took its toll on you emotionally and physically. Try not to worry. I understand you’re several weeks into the healing process, but don't lose sight of how long this recovery can last and there are ups and downs. In the whole scheme of things, five and a half weeks post op is still fairly early. I hope you’re able to relax and feel better as the day progresses.
 
Oh yes I always had to take some form of stomach protectant like nexium or pepcid before i took my meds especially when taking any anti-inflammatory!
I do that for my NSAID tablet in the morning, but not for Lyrica or Paracetamol (i.e. Tylenol). Also thought taking the Lyrica after dinner would be OK.
I will start taking Nexium or Pantaloc before Lyrica and see if my stomach issues get better.

Thank you @Snoopy55
 
don't lose sight of how long this recovery can last and there are ups and downs. In the whole scheme of things, five and a half weeks post op is still fairly early. I hope you’re able to relax and feel better as the day progresses.
@Layla , thanks for this - I definitely needed the reminder! :)

The middle of the night is the worst time to be worrying :badspidy:
 
I have found that with my dogs making sure they eat then wait 20 minutes then give meds helps with stomach. So I applied that to myself I always eat breakfast wait 15 minutes then take morning meds.
Hope you are feeling better today!
 
Sleep was good last night, probably because I did not get much the night before. I have also gone back to taking 75mg Lyrica before bedtime instead of 50mg. I was not woken by any pain in the hip or operated leg.

I always eat breakfast wait 15 minutes then take morning meds.
@Doglover7 Thank you!
I took my evening meds (the Lyrica plus 1000mg Paracetamol) within 30 minutes of having dinner, and also took a gulp of liquid antacid before bedtime as a precautionary measure. No stomach pain during the night!

Nothing much to report today (Day 41) except to record that I walked on the undulating road outside my building for 4km (as per my Samsung phone) using a single cane. It took me 46 minutes. Since walking with a crutch/cane, I have noticed how uneven the pavements are!!

Saw many helpers walking dogs on my morning walk (yes, it never ceases to amaze me that in Hong Kong it is the helpers who walk the dogs usually).
The one exception I encountered was a woman (plus ?husband :unsure:? in tow with a greyhound) who said she noticed I was walking better.

I am also cutting back on trying to walk unaided in my apartment. 5 days ago I wrote this:
starting to walk without aids (just lightly touching walls or furniture) for short distances of around 10 to 20 steps at a time.
I then became a bit more ambitious and increased the step count and frequencies. I have to remind myself to take it slow and easy so as not to slide through the doors of the ODIC.

Will have an orthopaedic post-surgery appointment this coming Friday. It is the 6 week follow-up.
 
Went for my 6 weeks post op appointment yesterday afternoon.
Had a 20 minute session with a lovely pleasant looking doctor (woo hoo!:roseshwr:)
I brought with me a progress report since the surgery in tabulated form and he was suitably impressed. He asked me: did you do this yourself? (twice).
We discussed my left hip surgery, the scar, the lateral rotation, etc. He is from the conservative school I think, because he said although there is no restriction in hip flexion in my case (lateral approach), he personally would not advise going beyond say 110 degrees before 3 to 4 months at least, because the hip capsule might not be strong enough and extreme flexion (say 120 to 130 degrees) would increase the risk of dislocation.
Good advice in my view. Recently I have been trying to bend over more. I want to be able to cut my toe nails!!! And resume my yoga stretching poses (e.g. child pose) :gaah:
But after meeting him, I think I will be patient and avoid poses or positions that would result in my hip being flexed more than 110 degrees for a few more months.:no-fin:

We also discussed driving. I told him I drive a manual MX5, and boy, was he interested!! He was surprised that I drove manual cars (the vast majority of cars in Hong Kong are automatic transmission ones), and although I do not have the statistics for women drivers in Hong Kong, most of my female friends my age as well as younger ones, do not drive. (Hong Kong has an excellent public transport system).
He asked what generation MX5 we drove and seemed a tad envious when we described our car....
Anyway, he cleared me for driving, but said to avoid long distances especially those that involved going uphill for the time being.
This is great! I love driving :happydance:
BUT, hubby said he preferred I wait till 8 weeks....

I also told him of my right hip pain (not bad but becoming noticeable). He showed me my prior x-rays, and said the joint capsule in those x rays was still somewhat intact. That said, he ordered x-rays to be taken for the next visit in 6 weeks time.
I told him I just wanted it monitored for the time being, because I would like the left hip to recover first so that I could do some hiking for 2 or 3 years before I ventured on another THR for the right hip. He seemed to think that was an excellent plan.
He also agreed with staying ahead of the pain, so continued to prescribe Arcoxia, Lyrica etc.

It was a fairly long wait to get to see the doctor and then to collect the prescribed medication. I am having some pain in the hip from sitting too long I guess. So this morning I am taking it easy, icing and going online to update my blog! (and having a teeny weeny bit of chocolate mint ice cream.... - comfort food)
 
Great report from your appointment, everything seems to be getting better for you.

I drive a manual car, nothing fancy, but when your doctor said not uphill too long, is the accelerator on your left foot or your right foot? I don’t know which side of the road Hong Kong drives. In my case the accelerator is operated by the right foot and the clutch by the left. The surgeon said I can drive when I feel ready.

Have a lovely day.
 
Hi @Ocean , how are you feeling today? It's brekkie time for you right (yes, I have lived in Australia for a short while:) :-) (:)?

Being a former colony, HK follows the UK practice when it comes to driving. The accelerator is operated by the right foot and the clutch by the left.
I am just concerned that sudden pain might result in bad clutch control (especially when going uphill at snail's pace)...
 
@Boofit, l am feeling good today, a bit achey in the thigh area but not as painful as I thought it would be. So far I have not had extreme pain so I am hoping to avoid that. My consultant said before the op that there wouldn’t be much pain, just surgical pain that will get better, and he was right. I’m uncomfortable, stiff and slow, but I feel better in myself to have got rid of the pain and instability of the old hip.

I will see how I go with starting to drive, he said when I feel ready, whether that be after two week, four weeks or two months, it’s up to me. I see the consultant again on August 16th, which is five weeks post op. It will be interesting to see how I have progressed by then.

It is breakfast time here and hubby has made me toast and cheese. I take full advantage in the mornings because he’s very attentive but flags by the afternoon so I have to do more for myself which is good in some ways. I’m also doing stairs a lot because our bathroom is upstairs.
 
Last edited:
Great to hear you’re both doing well @Boofit and @Ocean! I’m very impressed you both drive manual cars. I can drive a manual and that’s how I learned but I now drive an automatic which I like. Driving for me has been such a mood booster to be able to meet friends and just to get out of the house! Normalcy at its best. Wishing you both a restful night!
 
Amongst the excitement of going for my post-op doctor's appointment on Friday, I forgot to post this:

6 Week Update (LTHR done on 2 June 2022 - lateral approach)

Post-op Pain Medication
  • Lyrica 75mg TID
  • Panadol 1mg QID
  • Arcoxia 90mg QD
  • Zoplicone PRN
Tried cutting down last week, but not ready yet. Pain in R Hip and R Shoulder more prominent (will it ever end!!!!)

Pain and Swelling
  • Occassional Spasms in foot and calf. Both sides.
  • Pain in L Hip level 2 (with meds), but
  • Pain in R Hip level 2-3, increasing on walking and sometimes sleeping on R Hip side.
  • L Ankle slightly tight (?residual swelling internally).
  • L Quad slight tight.
  • Incision area still hard and lumpy.
  • L leg laterally rotated @15°

Exercises and Walking
Walking with cane. Approx 2 - 3km daily for most days.
Still using single crutch for markets (or possibly crowded places).
Can walk unaided for about 10 - 12 steps (not pushing it because there is slight pain in upper hip).
Gait training to correct mild Trendelenberg.

Doing the following exercises:
  • SLR (starting with small pillow under knee and rising slightly) 5 reps
  • Isometric abductors 2X 10 reps
  • Iso. glut. max 3X 10 reps
  • Gentle Bridges 10 reps

ADL and ROM
Weight gain of 4 lbs.

Hip flexion @100°
Hip abductors weak.

ADL resumed normal. (except left sock)

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
 
Last edited:
Driving for me has been such a mood booster to be able to meet friends and just to get out of the house! Normalcy at its best. Wishing you both a restful night!
Yes, I am looking forward to driving again @Snoopy55 . The sheer joy of getting behind the wheel of our MX5 with the top down, the car's easy handling and braking due to its low centre of gravity and light weight, its smooth cornering etc all combines to bring much pleasure to driving. Not in the midst of the city of course, but we live on the south side of Hong Kong Island (where the beaches are) and can enjoy the car.
We also often drive to Shelter Cove (on the North east side of Hong Kong, an hour's drive from where we live) when we go sailing, and once we clear the tunnels we often put the top down.

BUT.... Hubby has vetoed me driving before 2 months post op at least. He is saying 3 months post-op, and we are in negotiations.
 
Not much to report, except that the pain in non-operated hip (right side) and right shoulder seems to be increasing. So I have not walked much these past two days.

My incision site seems to be warmer to the touch as well. Wondering why...
 
I’m sorry you’re hurting, Boofit. I am not sure if you’re still using a single crutch or cane, but if so the shoulder pain may be from pressure you’re applying to the assistive device.
As for your hip, it may be that it’s fatigued from favoring your THR hip. Our gait changes as our hip deteriorates and changes once again as the muscle and soft tissue settle and adjust to the prosthetic.

Regarding the warmth, there is increased blood flow to the area to aid in the healing process. This can cause increased warmth for several months.This is NOT to be
confused with an incision that is HOT to the touch, accompanied by fever, unusual or increased pain, bleeding or discharge. Those symptoms would be reasons to check in with your surgeon’s office.

Hopefully the little break you’re taking from walking will ease the shoulder and non op hip discomfort and you can relax in regard to the warmth you described.
A great week to you!
@Boofit
 
Regarding the warmth, there is increased blood flow to the area to aid in the healing process. This can cause increased warmth for several months.This is NOT to be
confused with an incision that is HOT to the touch, accompanied by fever, unusual or increased pain, bleeding or discharge. Those symptoms would be reasons to check in with your surgeon’s office.
@Layla , Thank you for this. I am concerned because it didn't seem to be so warm a few days ago...
That said, it is about half a degree (to slightly under one degree Celsius) degree warmer compared to the un-operated side (using an infra-red thermometer).
It may be just all in my head (or the lighting), but it does look very slightly reddish...

It is somewhat reassuring to know that some have had the increased warmth for several months.
I do entirely agree with what you say, and will monitor it to see if it is HOT to the touch and accompanied by other signs.
So far the incision looks good, with no bleeding or discharge.

Thank you my friend!!:friends:
 
Doing the following exercises:
  • SLR (starting with small pillow under knee and rising slightly) 5 reps
  • Isometric abductors 2X 10 reps
  • Iso. glut. max 3X 10 reps
  • Bridges 10 reps
Easy does it my friend. Very early to be doing all this. You are not in training - you are healing. Plenty of time for strength building when that hip has settled.
 
Last night was a BUSY one. I got up every hour to go use the toilet!!

I normally control my intake of water after 4 or 5 pm to not more than 300ml and yesterday was no exception. So I was very surprised when I was woken up almost every hour to ninety minutes with a feeling of urgency. I did wonder whether I was getting Urinary Tract Infection, but each visit to the loo brought a good amount of output:what:
It couldn't be the body getting rid of swelling, could it?:chinstroke: (I still have some swelling in my upper hip at the gluteus max region, and my ankle still feels tight, although there is no visible swelling there)

And then at around 4am I couldn't get back to sleep because of pain sensation in my upper hip and thigh.
I haven't been walking or doing much these days, and it did feel like "healing" pain - a low grade nagging pain that prevented me from falling asleep.
So I got up and applied ice. My feet and body felt cold (the air-con was on, this is Hong Kong summer after all, and hubby was also in bed next to me), and in the past few weeks I have only felt too warm, never too cold, so this was a change. I went and got an extra blanket. Felt comfy very shortly thereafter and fell asleep till 6am.

For the last 3 days I have been taking
Paracetamol 1g BD (after breakfast, and after dinner)
Arcoxia 90mg QD (after lunch) usually taken with pantaloc)
Nexium (sometimes before bedtime)

Seems to be working
 
Last edited:

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom