THR BoneSmart = best recovery!

Of course today the stairs were again a challenge. But yesterday I clocked over 8,000 steps and many flights of stairs so I’m not surprised to be a bit sore today.

The reduction in Gabapentin still seems to be okay....I may drop down to once a day and see how it goes. I think the only way I’ll be able to tell if the PT and daily exercises are working is to be completely off the medicine.

If the PT and exercises prove to not be totally successful I‘m planning to give acupuncture a try. My nephew, the PTA, told me that’s what eventually worked for him when he had a similar pinched nerve.

Today is a fairly lazy day. We hit the local (real) farmers market early this morning. We brought the dogs in their pj’s with us but they were not so happy as it’s freezing and the wind is howling. Tonight we’re taking friends out to dinner at Capital Grille as a thank you for watching our pups when we were on vacation. Aside from that my plan is to read beside the fireplace.

Wonderful news about your PT!! Even better is the day you have planned for today and tonight.
The wind is howling here, too. I look outside and through the windows it looks sunny and warm, but step outside and it's a reality check.

I'm so sad that I am controlled by my insurance plan as to who I can go to for my PT. I'm doing really well but would love some little things tweaked..
I agree with the idea of acupuncture. There are several in our area that are very good and professional. In fact I need to return to that myself. I think it's something that should be done monthly just to keep the body in tune. Then more often when there's issues.

Ceezee, you've done other PT beefore, can you tell yet what is different about the McKenzie Method?

Ceezee, you've done other PT beefore, can you tell yet what is different about the McKenzie Method?
I‘m just guessing that what I’m learning is that method but I’m not sure. What I’m being taught is that it’s concentrating on very small things and small movements. Like Abdominal Bracing, is just contracting core musculature and holding it for 10 seconds. Very simple. And when I’m doing for example, Standing Lumbar Lateral Flex, I do it away from the pain. So if it hurts when I do it towards the left, I only do it towards the right. This is an odd one because it changes throughout the day and by the day. With every exercise/stretch I am to avoid pain and be gentle.

The goal is to get everything in my back lined up again and that will eliminate the pinched nerve. :fingersx:

Medicare is covering these PT sessions but it doesn’t cover any acupuncture. The rationale is that it’s not medically necessary. The only chiropractic care covered is to fix spinal subluxation. I’m not sure if this fits into that category.

With any luck you find relief from that pinched nerve soon, ceezee.
Hopefully it's not constant gnawing pain.

A lazy day indoors reading next to the fireplace sounds perfect after the chilly morning outdoors at the Farmers Market. I hope you enjoy your dinner out with friends at Capital Grille this evening!
@ceezee

Love reading your recovery thread @ceezee Feel like I need a note pad to jot down menu ideas. :heehee: Your rapid recovery this last six weeks is pretty remarkable. I love Longwood Gardens. I am the same way with being outdoors versus the gym. I loose track of time and love just feeling the fresh air. Will be so thrilled when I can walk without having to concentrate.

Will be curious to hear your update from acupuncture. Very encouraging news all around!

Good morning, @ceezee, I am curious about your acupuncture experiences--I really hope they are helpful for relieving that pinched nerve pain. I have a friend who also achieved great relief with a shoulder injury. On one hand the thought of someone poking little needles into me sounds horrifying, but I've heard it's not that painful and if it provides real relief, it would totally be worth it. I hope yesterday's "hang around the fireplace" day was relaxing and you're feeling stronger and in less pain this morning. Hang in there!

I have two more PT sessions before I decide to go for an acupuncture or not. I’m now totally off the Gabapentin (for just one full day so far) and my thigh feels like it has a sunburn. It’s not as bad as it was before I started taking the Gabapentin but it’s not gone either. It could just be that it’s slowly going away on it’s own. Or the PT is helping. Or it’s residual from the Gabapentin. Too soon to tell but I should have a better idea in a week. Unless it’s clearly improved I’ll do the acupuncture after Thanksgiving.

I'm not needle-phobic in the least so that won’t bother me. :thumb:

Hi, @ceezee! Nice to read that you're now off the Gabapentin, and although feeling like you have a "sunburn" (wow, that must be a weird sensation in mid-November!) you are coping reasonably well. I hope some incremental cessation of pain continues, especially with Thanksgiving next week and I suspect you'll be busy whether you are hosting or not. Cheers, and happy Tuesday!

How are things going for you these days, CZ? Hopefully you're feeling stronger week by week. I noticed you just passed your Six Month Anniversary for your Left THR and will soon be coming up on your Four Month for Righty. Time flies, Christmas will be on us before you know it! Are you prepping at all? I put up our tree up last weekend, yep, I'm one of those. I like the ambience with the lights on at night, since it's dark by 5:00 these days, and when Christmas is over....I'm done, down it comes!
I hope you have a wonderful Thursday :)
@ceezee

I'm definitely improving week by week.

Going up stairs is slowly becoming possible more often. Going down has been fine for quite some time now. I finished my PT for the pinched nerve :fingersx: and although it’s still numb it’s no longer painful. And I’m off all medicine for it. If it doesn’t keep improving my next step will be acupuncture.

Six months for the left hip and nearly Four/Two months for the right one! I reset the time counter for the right one to start when I was allowed to walk on it. :heehee:
The left feels great, except for the pinched nerve issue. It does need to get stronger but I have some exercises and lots of walking to help with that. The right is still a work in progress. The IT band issues keep poking their nose up and moving around.

The best time of the day is when I wake up in the morning. I’m not stiff, I don’t hurt, I hop down the stairs, make a coffee, do the NYTimes crossword puzzle and watch the news for a bit. As the day goes on I get stiffer and more sore. But.....I’m definitely improving every week by week.

I’m really looking forward to Thanksgiving at our house and getting to cook the meal I love to make. For a while there I was a little nervous that I wouldn’t be up to it but it’s so not a problem! Plus, I know I’ll get help here and there if I need it. Good times.

reset the time counter for the right one to start when I was allowed to walk on it. :heehee:

I'd do the same!

Your update is an encouraging one. You seem to be doing very well. Great news on the pinched nerve no longer causing you pain.
Thanks for sharing your progress!

So glad that pinched nerve pain may be slowly receding, @ceezee and I confess I'm jealous at your report that mornings are best with no stiffness. But then you say as the day progresses you get more achy and stiff--the exact opposite for me with mornings when I get up being hardest and gradually the stiffness and ache going down as my day progresses--funny how we're all so different, isn't it? You are such a fabulous cook that I'm betting your lucky Thanksgiving guests are already salivating at the prospect of a dinner made by you. If you're offered help, you should take it--no use overdoing things. Happy Friday!

Wish I could sit at your Thanksgiving table, oh culinary master! :bow:Happy Thanksgiving to you, and hope you enjoy cooking for the people you love without excruciating hip pain this year! Thanks for all your support. Ps my bread making skills are getting amazing thanks to you. I feel healthier and happier for your friendship. :flwrysmile:

CZ you are doing so well! I am still so impressed with how you just patiently and logically handled your recoveries. Do you have a game plan so you don't overdo things for the Holiday meal?
I have no doubt that you have it all strategized and it's already set into motion.
I just noticed on my thread your comment about Longwood Gardens. I'm not sure but I think we are about 50 minutes away from there, too. I see they opened up the Christmas Displays a week early, can't wait to see it soon.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

@ceezee
I’m really looking forward to Thanksgiving at our house and getting to cook the meal I love to make. For a while there I was a little nervous that I wouldn’t be up to it but it’s so not a problem! Plus, I know I’ll get help here and there if I need it. Good times.
I am so glad to hear you are feeling well enough to do your fabulous feast for Thanksgiving. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Wish I were coming to eat with you.

Even though I am not a chef, or even much of a cook...I will be making a turkey.
turkeyoreo-400x355.jpg

Do you have a game plan so you don't overdo things for the Holiday meal?
Things are going accordingly to plan and I’m making time to put up my feet and relax. I’m only doing what has to be done......ok, that’s not true. :heehee: But I’m not going crazy overboard. The house is reasonably cleaned up, the cranberry leek relish is done, i made Irish Tea Brack yesterday, all the grocery shopping is completed, the bourbon cake is finished, and tomorrow I just have to make the pumpkin pie and cole slaw. Easy. Thursday will be making the oyster stuffing, cooking the turkey, heat up peas, and I’m going to sous vide the mashed potatoes I make in the morning.

This morning I had a bit of a scare when I was at the farmers market for some final shopping. I must have turned weird and got an incredible shooting stabbing pain on my right leg above the knee on the side. The last time I felt a pain like that was when I made my fractured femur worse. I could barely walk back to the car. When I got home I immediately iced it for an hour which did no good. Then I took a couple of Advil and slapped on the heating pad for another hour. That did the trick. Whew! It’s still a bit sore but nothing like it was. I managed to make shrimp scampi for dinner and other than that I’ve been laying low. My OS said before to only be concerned if new pain doesn't ease up or go away after a few days. So I’m fully expecting to be back on track when I need to be.

I wish you could all come and join me at my Thanksgiving table! I’ve gained so much from your friendship.

Oh goodness! I bet that was both painful and scary.. glad it seems to be settling down some. Girl, be careful! I can relate about making a quick turn and bam, instant jolt of pain.. I'm sure you are like me and tell yourself to stay calm and mindful of your steps, but then the brain goes into overdrive. :driver:
I had to look up Irish Tea Brack.. sounds delish, too.

I wish you could all come and join me at my Thanksgiving table! I’ve gained so much from your friendship.
I can just see all of us!! What a hoot it would be.. Happy Thanksgiving, friend.. I hope you feel much improved by morning..

Boy, that must have been a scare at the farmer's market, @ceezee, but glad to read that with a bit of ice and judicious icing/heat you were able to recover quickly. You say you're not going "all out", but I am guessing that many of us reading your postings about Thanksgiving preparations are saying to ourselves, "Who is she kidding?!!" If you say you aren't going crazy I would like to know what you DO consider going crazy! But at least you are pacing yourself a bit, extending preparations over several days leading up to the "Big Feed" which must make things more manageable. It does indeed sound like a fabulous meal, and yes, I would love to be sitting at your table and ready to chow down on what sounds like a really remarkable and delicious meal. Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Hello and a Happy Saturday to you!
Looks like we missed a special date a week ago....so a belated Happy Four Month Anniversary to you! I'm assuming all is well. I'll bet your Thanksgiving menu was well received.

Leave an update if you care to share your progress, we'd love to hear how you're doing. Hopefully all continues to go well and you're feeling stronger with each passing week.

Will you be menu planning and cooking for Christmas Eve, or Christmas day? Or will it be a peaceful low key holiday for you? I've done nothing more than decorate the house and plant seasonal cuttings in my window boxes outdoors. Time to start some shopping. Almost have it narrowed down to just the grands these last couple of years. It's a goal I'm shooting for. The older we all get the more difficult it is to buy for those who already have all they need, or can purchase what they want themselves.

Hope you have a great weekend!
@ceezee

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks